Tricopter unstable / Can't get good footage

Fern-Fox

yup. It's open-source hardware, so there are plenty of cheap manufactruers punching these things out.

One thing you'll need -- an 8-pin to 6-pin adaptor, like:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Board-AVRISP-USBASP-STK500/dp/B00FHHYJ7G/ref=sr_1_2

Not recommending this seller (I know nothing about them), just pointing the part out. Some sellers have both the USBASP and the adaptor in the kit, but it might be at a premium. You can also jury-rig your own if you've got the headers and patience -- LazyZero's site has details of that.

That one takes more than 20 days to get here, How about this one?: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Expr...d=1407435570&sr=1-19&keywords=10+pin+to+6+pin

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
nooo . . . that's not the same creature. That's a *power* adapter cable for video cards on a PCI-E bus.

you're looking for a signal adaptor for an AVR programmer, like the USBASP, to go from an 8 pin header to a 6 pin header, *or* looking for a USBASP with the 6-pin cable output (or adapter included in the kit).

Not sure where "local" is for you, but you should be able to find a local supplier on ebay or amazon.

ssteve

Just order a naze32 and a $1 cable and be done with it. From the looks of the video it seems as if your kk2 might be getting too much vibrations. The noise from the motor/s would explain why, but no matter what you do with your kk2 it's not going to be as capable as the naze board so IMO there's no sense in spending more money on it. The naze will be more stable with no tuning at all. I've been where your at, similar tri, similar motors, kk2 etc. still have it. Flys fine after hours and hours of tuning.... But it sits in the corner cause I built a different tri with the naze board and have a total of maybe 20-30min tuning it and it flies 10x better.

Fern-Fox

Just order a naze32 and a $1 cable and be done with it. From the looks of the video it seems as if your kk2 might be getting too much vibrations. The noise from the motor/s would explain why, but no matter what you do with your kk2 it's not going to be as capable as the naze board so IMO there's no sense in spending more money on it. The naze will be more stable with no tuning at all. I've been where your at, similar tri, similar motors, kk2 etc. still have it. Flys fine after hours and hours of tuning.... But it sits in the corner cause I built a different tri with the naze board and have a total of maybe 20-30min tuning it and it flies 10x better.

Where would I get one? And I thought that board was ment for mini quads, how well does it work with a big tri

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
they will work for Tri's, but you'll have to connect up to a PC to reset it's mixings. not hard, but if the stock PID's aren't right, you'll be in-and-out of the house in a fix/test cycle.

Once you've got the ROM updated, the kk2 will fly quite nice, and all the setup can be done on the field. Naze is nice too, but each have their advantages.

For a first board, however, I still recommend the kk2 you already have -- no sense climing another learning curve when you're almost at the top of this one.

Fern-Fox

My friend (basically the only other multirotor guy on this island) had a KK board programmer! What are the chances! Ok, im gonna update it to 1.6 where do I download that version of KK2?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nooooo!

Skip 1.6. HK knows nothing about building kk2 ROMs and botched the port of 1.6 to the kk2.1.x board -- it's just as bad as the stock 1.5.

Google "LazyZero" and it should pop up with his "Multikopter Flash Tool". install it and it will download ROMs from a repositiory of known ROM's . . . Get Steveis's or RC911's latest ROM and flash that -- either are good, but they differ on features. if you want to know what the features are, select the ROM, and click the blue "i" and it should pull up a link to the ROM's source with details.

Fern-Fox

Nooooo!

Skip 1.6. HK knows nothing about building kk2 ROMs and botched the port of 1.6 to the kk2.1.x board -- it's just as bad as the stock 1.5.

Google "LazyZero" and it should pop up with his "Multikopter Flash Tool". install it and it will download ROMs from a repositiory of known ROM's . . . Get Steveis's or RC911's latest ROM and flash that -- either are good, but they differ on features. if you want to know what the features are, select the ROM, and click the blue "i" and it should pull up a link to the ROM's source with details.

http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool Found this, but no ROM

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
install and run the flashtool. select the board and it should have a list of ROM's compatible with the board.

hook up the kk2 to the PC, and when you hit go, it'll download the ROM automatically just before it flashes.

Fern-Fox

Ok, I just got the sunnyskys, and here are the problems:
3 missing screws
one motor just jitters around like crazy when giving throttle
one motor mount doesnt fit onto motor

Yay!

Fern-Fox

Ok after further inspection the motor only jitters when its plugged in backwards. as in it spins the opposite direction I want it to spin

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Well that stinks!

If I may ask, who did you order your motors from?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You sure it wasn't a bad connection, maybe a dirty barrel connector or cold solder joint?

Fern-Fox

Great and my special screw driver just stripped, going to have to order a new one before I can ship the bad motor back, this is just not my day.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
How would I find those? I dont want to break my warranty on this motor

I'm talking about the connection between the motor and the ESC. I assume you're using barrel connectors? Cut off the shrink wrap and check the joints. Try reflowing them. Then hook it back up and see how it does.

Does the motor turn in both directions in your hand? I just got a DYS-1806 that only turned one direction out of the box because of grit in it. I took it apart and cleaned out the grit and it seems fine...but I haven't been able to power it up yet.

The problem you're describing sounds like either a bad wire connection, broken wire/damaged winding, or grit in the motor.

Fern-Fox

Ok just got the usb to plug in my kk2. What firmware should I flash it for my tricopter? The most stable for aerial video