Trying to get back into RC multirotors

flyboymatt04

Hello all,

A few years ago I bought all the stuff to make the Dragonfly (pentacopter). I built a tricopter first with the tough tilt but could never figure out the settings in Cleanflight to get it stable enough to really enjoy (longest flights were about 20-30 seconds before out of control pitching and yawing).

I had to put the whole hobby on hold for the last two years to work on my Master's degree which is now done! Yay!

I would love to take the same parts (Powerpack D for the dragonfly) and make a simple quad that I can get to work well and then add FPV components to after I know it flies well.

Components I have:
Naze32 (acro)
Electrohub dragonfly kit
Powerpack D ((5) Motors - Emax 2213-935kv (CW Threaded Shaft) (5) ESCs - BL Heli 20 amp XT-60)
DX5e DSMX 5-Channel Transmitter with AR610 Receiver, Mode 2

Are these components enough to make a good medium sized quad for good stable FPV flight? I guess by medium size I'm thinking something smaller than the dragonfly if possible.

I had 9 or 10" props that came with the kit, is there anyway to have much smaller blades with the same electronics? I think I'd like to have a smaller quad than the dragonfly, but I'm wondering if these components will work for that...??

Thanks for any advice or help. It's been a good long time and I'm looking forward to flying again!

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
The components are fine for a 400 mm Quad. On the 2213 you should not go smaller than 9" props.
Congratulations to your Master.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
You can chop the booms until the props are 1/2" away from each other at the tips. That is your boom limit.

Those 935kv motors are designed to move a long prop, efficiently. You can probably get away with an 8045 on 4S but that will probably torch a 20A ESC.

For the electronics you have, Ricci is right. 9" props on 3S is probably as short a prop as you can run. 10" props on 3S will provide more power and should also be in range of those motors but may heat up a 20A ESC.

flyboymatt04

Thanks guys! I was hoping it would get down in the 250mm range, but I'll just work on getting a good camera platform going with the bigger props.