Turnigy 9x and 9xr buddy boxing

DavTixRC

Hi every one, I am new to the whole forum thing, but was wondering if any buddy knows if you can buddy box using a turnigy 9x as the teachers (main) transmitter and a 9xr (without a module) as the student (slave) transmitter? Because I would like to teach someone how to fly but I don't want to buy a module for the 9xr.
Thanks,
DavTixRC

bitogre

I do not own a Turnigy 9X or 9XR or a Taranis (all of which use the same base frimware) but I have been looking at them and know that they can buddy box together (both as master and slave) and with Spektrum and JR transmitters (though I think the 9X needs a hardware mod to buddy box but try without mod first). There are some quirks. Here is a video on how to do it with the stock Turnigy firmware. Here is a video on how to do it if you have switched to the Open9X firmware.

I hope this helps. Let me know how things go as I am currently planning on buying a Taranis (which is why I had been watching these videos about doing this) and want to know if the videos are correct.

DavTixRC

All right, I ordered a 9xr a while ago, and I finally got it a few days ago. I tried to buddy box with the stock firmware on both transmitters (9x and 9xr) but wasn't getting the channels to match up well. Upgraded my 9xr with Open-TX (I think it is the same as open 9x) and works like a charm.

Steps to Buddy Box:
Turn on main transmitter (my case the 9x) bind to receiver, plug in audio cable, without turning on the slave transmitter (the 9xr this one does not have a module in it) plug other end of cable into transmitter (powers on automatically). Had to set up trainer mode in master transmitter (9x) set what channels I want my student to be able to control. When you want to control the airplane ( you the teacher) you pull back the trainer switch, when you want the student to be able to control it you just let go of the switch (my opinion it should be the other way around). All'so, what ever channel you don't let the trainee use you have control over that control all the time.
Hope this helpful to others.
God Bless,
DavTixRC ;)

DavTixRC

Oh and one more thing,
on the 9xr I had to change the stick mode to mode 4 to be the same as the 9x.
God Bless,
DavTixRC :)