Turnigy 9x w/ FrSky module - antenna on top of transmitter

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I hate having the antenna come out of the back of my receiver. I don't know why, I just do. So I rigged this up:

2014-07-26 16.33.06.jpg

It's just a 6" RP-SMA extension cable, with one end hot-glued in where the old antenna used to go. I had to modify the original antenna assembly a little bit with a cutter to let the thicker wire pass through, but all in all, it was pretty straightforward. Because I don't have a proper crimp tool, I had to drill a hole big enough to pass the entire connector through (3/8"). If I had a crimp tool, I could have passed the un-terminated wire through a much smaller hole and then terminated the connector.

Anyway, I like this much better, and it should be usable with nearly any module I end up using--ezUHF, etc... If necessary, I can just put a converter on the connector to change it to SMA. Voila! If ever I want to pass a telemetry lead into the back of the radio, I could use the same hole, so it serves double-duty.

lancaster

Hi
I have done something similar using an external lead allowing the original antenna to sit in its original position

I expect to get a better signal in this position
I can also take this off and connect a new antenna to the module
Hans