Turnigy 9XR - The Unofficial Thread

MrClean

I would have bought one BUT they were out when I was going to buy AND by the time they get it to me in America it's not 50 dollars anymore.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I would have bought one BUT they were out when I was going to buy AND by the time they get it to me in America it's not 50 dollars anymore.

Yea, more like a $80 Radio but can you even call it a radio if it contains NO RF MODULE :confused: ! I think not! :( By the time you add battery, RF module, receiver and shipping you are looking at $120+ radio. My Futaba 7C came from Tower Hobbies via e-bay for $120 (Futaba receiver was $65 additional though).

Thurmond

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
ok trying to understand all this info. Was there a problem with the 9x? Also all these acronyms has my brain smoking. What do they all mean? Say I buy a regular turnigy 9x will this connect with only one type of receiver or any receiver? Also is any "9x" the same? like the one I asked about in my other thread in this section? I'm trying to understand all this so I can properly buy parts and not have a dozen radios at my house.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The 9x will only connect with one type of receiver. If it comes with the turnigy module then you have to use the turnigy rx's. If you install the frsky module or dsm2 module then you use those receivers. I think that hobbyking wanted to have their own radio under their turnigy brand. The old 9x was a flysky radio made for hobbyking. They updated a lot of things and call it the 9xr. The 9xr does not come with any module, so you have to buy a module or use the diy flysky kit where the old 9x came with a module and a receiver.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
So if I'm going to buy the FS-th9x,
79P-TH9X-R9B-9Channel-Radio-04.jpg
and it comes with a receiver I should just keep buying flysky receivers and not worry if it will connect. Even if I buy a plane I can change out the receiver and use mine. I think I am getting the hang of this stuff.

robschonk

The Flysky is a fine radio. Flysky actually makes the 9X and 9XR for HK. The 9x actually claims to have V2 software, but I'm not sure of the difference. The 9XR has its own software, which is based on ER9X, which is an improved, open source software. It has a battery holder that takes 8 AA cells.

You can buy the Flysky or 9x and fly with Turnigy receivers, which are inexpensive and good. The software can be updated, but that requires an adapter, and some soldering, or an additional board. The screen doesn't have a backlight.

The 9XR comes with ER9X software, which is great. You don't need to upgrade unless you want a slightly different version, that will support telemetry on the radios screen, or a voice module, for example. The radio comes wired for an update, but you still need an adapter.

You still will need a transmitter module for the 9XR. HK will eventually bring out modules that use the internal antenna, but for now, they all have an external antenna. You can get a Frsky module that supports telemetry, and has an excellent reputation, an Orange spektrum compatable, if you have a lot of Spektrum receivers, or a 433mhz module for long range, and a few others.

A complete setup with Frsky module, receiver and recommend battery pack would be:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31544__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_2_No_Module_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...d_11_1v_3s_2200mAh_1_5C_Transmitter_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Module_RX.html

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
ok i get what your saying. I'm just getting my feet wet in the rc flight world and for now im looking a good inexpensive radio that can grow when I add a few more planes. I would love to get the 9xr but its out of stock. The one on hobbypartz is in stock so when my boy comes up on the 17th to stay the night we can have a radio to fly. Im thinking about just buying two so when he comes up we can fly together.

Itguy1010

RE: the turnigy 9XR...

Ok, newb question here and I apologize if its been asked a million times already but...

I have a few quads (proto x, dromida ominus etc) that I would like to fly with a better TX than what comes with them. I would also like to buy a TX that is somewhat compatible or configurable through different modules to fly other quad BNF options. I understand that for SLT I will need to add a Tactic Anylink2 to get this to work with my quads. If I'm initially going to use the Anylink, do I still need to buy the 9XR with a Orange TX module? Or, can I just plug the Anylink into the 9XR JR trainer port and go?

Thanks.

Eric

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The protoX is a different creature . . . There are DIY threads for building external TX modules, but you'll have to build it yourself.

As for the Dromida, you need a TX module to drive the SLT, with Anylink being the obvious choice. Should work plug-n-play connected into the Fubata trainer port (the JR port will work, but it won't provide power to the anylink -- you'll have it use an external lipo if you go JR). There are other options, but none cheaper or easier.

JDill

9XR owner

I have owned a 9XR for most of this year and really like it. At first I flashed it with the latest er9x firmware but just recently switched over to OpenTX. So a new little learning curve to go through but I like the Companion software better, with it's model setup Wizard. Also gives me a 30 model memory! And OpenTX is under active development whereas er9x seems to have stalled. I mainly use an Frsky module and receivers but also have an Orange DSM2 module, mostly for use with my Nano QX.

My previous radio was a Futaba T6EXAP FM that I had modded to Frsky 2.4ghz. Not even tempted to pull it out anymore.