Turnigy 9XR - The Unofficial Thread

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Honestly the bixler has no appeal for me though.

Are the FrSky receivers as cheap as the orange rx dsm2 receivers?

As far as expectations, my expectations are that when I buy something, it works as advertised. Isn't it funny how people are willing to overlook flaws from Turnigy

I don't like the look of the Bixler at all but it is a Fantastic trainer or in my case the perfect cheap platform to get my head around FPV and what works and what doesn't. So for me its been really good. Having said that after the next range test with it (hoping for 8km with FrSky and Patch) I'll retire this bird.

I don't know what orange rx dsm2 receivers go for, but FrSky range from 9.95 through to 26 or there about.

When it comes to expectations its all dependent on pricing and how good people perceive the product or company to be. For example if Apple have a problem with a product its the biggest deal in the world, yet with microsoft its acceptable. I use both on a day to day basis and I find it funny.

The GoPro hero3 Black edition has some serious freezing up problems and I think people are almost ready to kill GoPro lol

lonewolf7717

And you AK Flyer are a prime example of exactly why there will always be room in the rc market for higher price point Tx systems. I am a true 9x fan quite possibly from here on out but that doesn't mean I don't like the feel of a Aurora 9 in my hands....mmmmm so much so the guy at my local hobby shop is getting tired of pulling it out for me to hold for a little while (that totally does not sound right). Been a lot of big talk from 9x fans from time to time having to do with how the 9x and future offerings will change the industry....bring down the "evil" high dollar manufacturers and their monopoly on our pocketbook.....even more so with the new 9xr. I have seen first hand the backlash you are referencing and think its shameful. There will always be a group, perhaps not the majority it once was but more than enough who are willing to pay the extra buck for service and quality and I personally don't have a single solitary issue with that. Guys who would rather be flying than fiddle-farting around with a "malfeasant less than reliable radio". Now that being said it should also be mentioned that there are tons of stories out there of seasoned rc guys who opt to go flying with their 9x only to leave the high dollar futaba or spektrum at home. Should also be noted that if it weren't for the fairly recent development of capable sub $100 radios amongst other factors I would dare say the hobby wouldn't be seeing the boon it is now. Supply&Demand dictates a whole host of lower price point items that would still be too far out of reach for many if it weren't for this influx of new blood. In essence the hobby is getting cheaper (lipos, models, motors...the list goes on) and will continue to do so all because some kid in his first big purchase had the option to buy a decent $60 radio rather than be intimidated by a $300-$400 price tag. I would also suggest this, all these "problems" you are seeing online are simply a product of the complete lack of product support one receives when buying a 9x. The "product support" is the online rc community thereby making issues more visible and giving the perception of a radio woefully plagued with problems, that is not the case. I am not convinced a higher dollar radio necessarily means fewer problems....what it DOES mean is the owner of said radio cashes in that higher price tag and calls up HorizonHobby and gets it fixed no questions asked and no gripes to post....as a 9x owner my only recourse is to hit the forums and find a solution. Oh well thats my take, pros and cons to either approach. Personally think we should all do some more flying and less of this silly business of arguing over which is better....personally apologize for any backlash you have received from my 9x comrades. Happy flying!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
And you AK Flyer are a prime example of exactly why there will always be room in the rc market for higher price point Tx systems.

Is that a bad thing?

Well stated reply. Let me just say that I enjoy a good debate. Too a point, I like the backlash because I like to hear people support their opinions with facts and not just "because".
While a higher price doesn't guarantee less problems, I don't hear anyone who own's a more expensive radio system complain. They aren't reflashing their gear because there's no need. They aren't adding backlight kits because they already have it. But like you said, that's what they wanted so they paid for it.

I am fortunate to have reached a point in my life where I can afford a more expensive radio and some other nicer bits but that wasn't always the case. I started with a cheap hobbyzone RTF with a crapola 3 channel radio and flew it for a couple years. I started with rc cars as a kid and used to have to build my own spare parts out of scrap aluminum and plastic I could find laying around because there were no spare parts available. I really was that kid saving up for the 60 dollar radio while drooling over the 600 dollar ones. The 9x's would have made my year back then. But how upset would a kid be to spend his hard earned money on a 9XR and then have to go online and search forums to find help when it doesn't work?

Let's chew on this one now? Is the influx of new blood into the sport really due to popularity of things like the 9X's and hobbyking? Or is it more due to the massive production of companies like hobbico and horizon and the marketing of horizon and tower and the like? When I go into a hobby shop for the last few years the first thing I see are stacks of ready to fly models with literally everything in the box for sale at a reasonable price. Even in Alaska with our short flying season, they can't keep the RTF and BNF parkzone and hobbyzone models in stock. They're always out. The TX-r flyzone stuff is the same way. I see tons of people flying now because of the ease of buying everything in a box and it all just works. Then people find places like hobbyking because they talk to people like me who spread the work to help new pilots who want to expand. What I don't see are people who've never flown before going out and buying a 9 channel radio(which they can't even understand), spec'ing out motors and esc's and then scratch building stuff just to see if they like it.

The way I see it, simple RTF and BNF planes and helis that are appealing because they look like something and fly well are the reason we have the influx of new blood. Then those people get hooked and start wanting to find something else so they go online, find places like this and see the swappable series, then they want to start scratch building.

I'm glad to have access to cheaper stuff too. I couldn't even afford the batteries for all my stuff if I bought everything at the "evil high dollar manufacturers" (loved that by the way) monopoly prices.

What bugs me more than any backlash is the separation of people in the same hobby. As much as people complain about the snooty people at clubs looking down their noses at those with foam or electric planes, many people with foam planes seem to look down their noses at people who spend a little more or people that fly nitro. In my mind, it shouldn't matter how much you spend or how many models you have, whether it's nitro or gas or electric, heli, quad, tri, hex, octo, gyrocopter or paper airplane. When you start looking down your nose at the guy next to you you're a jerk. I've had a great time flying with people with their first RTF plane, their first scratch built foamy and a guy with a 13,000 turbine powered jet. All were great people. Any elitist attitude turns me off. Whether it's an elitist group of big scale warbird jerks who scoff at you, or an elitist group of DIYers who think you have to design your own software or they scoff at you.

I've posted a couple times on here about products and someone always seems to post the "why didn't you just make your own for 3 dollars using an old walkman, flux capacitor, play station memory board and new firmware from BF egypt". Thanks, that wasn't really the point, but I'm sure yours is much better. Not that I have the time or knowledge to do that but thanks for letting me know you're an electrical wizard with lots of free time. Sorry I had to pay more for a product that already had all that. That's what bugs me. It's an elitist attitude same as any other.

Any way you choose to slice it, I'm glad that more people are flying. Last night at the gym there was about 4 new people I hadn't seen before trying flying for the first time and it was awesome. Whatever gear you have whether you made it or bought it if you bring it by I'm probably going to be really interested in it and excited to see it fly.

MrClean

I could go on and did with this. Let me sum it up. It's cyclical. in the 70's when foam wings came in Lanier made some "ARF"s. They were foam wings covered in this heavy plastic and plywood fuses sheeted in plastic. I had one of those. 20 years ago it was the chinese built arfs. Unlike the heavy planes I started with these were light, built better then most homebuilts. Now the planes come ready to drop a battery in and toss, some with a matching transmitter.
Then you've got a bunch of guys and some girls that have had a video game controller in their hands forever and are TIRED of the next shoot em up GTA or flying game. Well here's something that doesn't cost much more then the next game and it's REAL!
It's also nice that when I started the ARF route was in excess of 500 bucks. 20 years ago it was around 300 bucks and now it's right at 100. You spend 300 bucks you've got a heck of a ride. 100 bucks now is about like 200 bucks 20 years ago and I gotta tell you it was a pain when I was 17 scrounging around the money to get started in RC. Lotta picked golf ranges, mowed yards, some babysitting and other odd jobs plus christmas presents.

Well, the 9xR is in stock. I'd like to buy it but what I really need another transmitter for IS, to control this V949 quad that I have and it is a Turnigy bindable thing. But the 9xR doesn't have a module in it. If I take the output line that you have to snip out of the 9X and wire it to an added antenna making it a module like my FrSky I was going to drop into the 9xR, would it fit in the 9xR OR for that matter, my JR8103? Letting me use something besides this dorky little controller that hurts my thumbs?

Anyone have a module and antenna that they've cut out of their 9x to turn it into a FrSky unit?

lonewolf7717

I do and would be happy to part with it for cost of shipping conus. When i get home will check but believe i just de-soldered tab rather than snip it....course dont amount to hill of beans either way.

lonewolf7717

And on that note seeing hk has not released a module that will accept the internal plug for that built in antenna.....i imagine within reason someone could modify old 9x module to do just that.....keeping things nice and tidy.

robschonk

Exactly.
Are the FrSky receivers as cheap as the orange rx.

Not quite, but not bad. Depends if you want telemetry.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system.html

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-non-telemetry.html

You can get a Frsky module and receiver for just over $53, which should be plug and play with the 9x or 9XR, despite all the upgrade talk. Add $20 plus cost of sensors for a separate telemetry readout.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Module_RX.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19969__FrSky_FLD_02_Telemetry_Display_Screen.html

If you have been watching, you'll find that HK has quietly introduced two new receivers in the 6XX line of DSM2 receivers; the 615 and the 620.

615 is much like the 610, but no satellite port, and two antennas for diversity.

620 is advertised as a full range receiver (the others weren't?) with a sat port, fail safe, and a S.BUS output.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_JR_DSM2_Compatible_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ull_Range_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver_w_Failsafe.html

Since the Russian guy broke the DSMX algorithm, it wouldn't surprise me to see HK DSMX receivers hit the market.

robschonk

Let's chew on this one now? Is the influx of new blood into the sport really due to popularity of things like the 9X's and hobbyking? Or is it more due to the massive production of companies like hobbico and horizon and the marketing of horizon and tower and the like?

Absolutely! I'm 62 and have only been the hobby for a year.

In the past, when I looked, it was way too complicated/expensive.

I've got a pilots license, no medical, and used to own a Challenger I ultralight (see my avatar), and thought RC might be a good way to get back in the sky.

Started researching online, and was attracted to the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Everything I needed in one box for less than $200! Watched the videos on youtube (including yours) read the threads here and on RCG.......SOLD!

Love the Cub. Done upgrades and still fly it, but I'm expanding into FPV, etc. In fact, bought a second kit for my son a few weeks back, who was into RC cars, and we've been having a ball together.

I think this is the normal progression. Get something quick, easy and inexpensive, and progress from there. RTFs are what bring newbies into the hobby; inexpensive Chinese equipment helps us expand.

I'm not in the least interested in balsa or nitros, but who knows?

It's humbling to find out that some of the more knowledgable posters here are still in their teens....

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
People give me crap for spending money on an expensive radio but I don't have any of these problems. I fly some fairly expensive models and there's no way I'm flying one with a radio I can't trust.
It's totally the opposite at my club field. I get flak for using CHEAP equipment. I sold my DX8 last year or more, and was going to guy the Futaba F8G Super but Tower was out of stock for over a month so I ended up getting the 9X. I upgraded it to FrSky, backlight, LiFe, and ER9x. I trust my 9x 110%. That being said, I just recently received my Hitec Aurora 9 because it can do complex programming in a flash! Programming the ER9x firmware gets easy after you've done it a few times and was certainly easy with simple four channel setups but as soon as I tried to setup a glo powered model, I was fiddling with it for what seemed forever over the span of a few days lol.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Started researching online, and was attracted to the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Everything I needed in one box for less than $200! Watched the videos on youtube (including yours) read the threads here and on RCG.......SOLD!

I'm not in the least interested in balsa or nitros, but who knows?

Glad I could help you find your way here.

I really had no interest in glow models either until I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up. My brother had a 76" nitro cub in RTF condition for 200 bucks. I only had to supply a receiver. I had to try it. Once I became comfortable with nitro I love it. It's just as much fun as electric and bigger really does fly better.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It's totally the opposite at my club field. I get flak for using CHEAP equipment.

as soon as I tried to setup a glo powered model, I was fiddling with it for what seemed forever over the span of a few days lol.

That's total bull. I can't stand when people do that. As long as it's safe to operate then it shouldn't matter what you use. We ran into a guy who had the original airtronics radio. Like bent aluminum box with switches old. The equipment was cool and worked just fine. He was flying like a jerk and breaking field rules so that wasn't cool but the gear was fine.

What was the problem setting up nitro?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
What was the problem setting up nitro?
I had to first figure out how to enable the throttle cut so I could turn off the engine. Then fine tuning the end points on the throttle servo. I have a gas plane I fly with my DX6i and that was even super easy to set up. I'm used to the programming of the radio now but after fiddling with the Aurora 9 and setting up a model with it, the 9x is only going to see duty flying the one model I have bound to it lol.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The aurora 9 looks like a nice radio. One main reason I love my DX8 is how easy it is to use. My favorite thing about it are all the graphics like graphs and equalizer bars that help me set things up. I don't even have to have the model to do the setup most of the time, just need it for fine tuning. That's where the DX6i and DX7s lag behind. I find that the Futaba radios are just as nice but they have a different method of thinking required and they confuse the crap out of me. Same with my brother when he tries to use my Spektrum lol. Ford vs Chevy type of thing. Do all the Hitec's use the modules?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The Aurora uses it's own module, not compatible with Futaba/JR modules. I have seen where some have installed the FrSky DIY kit into an A9, but I'm not sure why one would bother. The A9 was much easier than the Spektrum or the ER9x to program.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Good to know. Doesn't chad use an Aurora 9? Must be good reason for it. I know a couple people that fly Hitec, not as popular but they are all very happy with it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have about 50% more money in my 9X Transmitter than I do in my Futaba T7C 2.4GHz FASST. As far as I am concerned the Futaba radio line doesn't start till the 8's (other than the insanely priced receivers). If money was no object I would be inclined to get on the list for an OSRC unit. I find myself always grabbing the 9X. The Futaba has no back light and no module capability.
It is a good radio but it is cast in stone (not upgradable in any fashion without some serious hacking).

Thurmond

lonewolf7717

I have already attested to the "feel" of a Aurora 9 in my hands earlier in this thread....makes my thumbs tingle just thinking about it