Tutor Turbo Wing

David Spence

Hey All - I live in Ohio so there are trees around my flying fields. I have to get off the ground and get up fast to fly above my "fish bowl" of trees surrounding my field. I can do that ok. The problem is bringing it in. I have to REALLY get down and slow down fast to avoid rolling into fences, trees, etc. on landing. The largest I have had any luck with is the FT Tutor but even that is a stretch. Question is this: would the Turbo wing allow me to fly this slower without stalling so I could set it down without overshooting the runway?? If not, what would be a good "slow fly" plane??

Foamforce

Hey All - I live in Ohio so there are trees around my flying fields. I have to get off the ground and get up fast to fly above my "fish bowl" of trees surrounding my field. I can do that ok. The problem is bringing it in. I have to REALLY get down and slow down fast to avoid rolling into fences, trees, etc. on landing. The largest I have had any luck with is the FT Tutor but even that is a stretch. Question is this: would the Turbo wing allow me to fly this slower without stalling so I could set it down without overshooting the runway?? If not, what would be a good "slow fly" plane??

Search for STOL planes. You’d want something with low wing loading, light weight, and flaps would help too. Basically the lighter the plane, the slower you can fly without stalling. Also, the lighter wing loading, the better. The Bushwhacker comes to mind, or the Storch with flaps.

I think the Trainer wing on the Tutor would be better for you since it’s bigger and has under camber. On the other hand, you could set up the ailerons as flaperons on the sport wing, and that might be useful.

There’s a landing technique called a forward slip. You have your rudder pointed one way and your ailerons pointed the other. I’ve never tried it (on purpose), but you can apparently use that to drop altitude quickly without picking up speed. Seems like it might work in your situation! Sounds challenging. Good luck!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Question is this: would the Turbo wing allow me to fly this slower without stalling so I could set it down without overshooting the runway??...
It might help.
Before I tried a new wing, I think I would try flaps or They can be very effective in shorting a glide slope, they will allow you to come in much steeper without gaining too much speed. Be prepared to add power to arrest your decent as you get close to the ground.

The first time you deploy flaps, be sure to be at least 2 mistakes high. Flaps can cause some pitching, you may need to mix in some elevator to offset. It’s best to start with a little and slowly increase the amount of flap as you learn how to fly with them.

Another tactic, is to circle in. Bottom line,it takes far more skill to land in a tight area.

Last edited:

dylanbeaudette

I too struggle with bringing in our tutor for a safe landing. Most of our flying locations are enclosed by trees and make for similar, “exciting” landings. We recently converted the ailerons to flaperons and it has helped considerably. There are some great videos out there that explain how to implement it. Seems the key is slow movement and at least two flap settings.

Still, my last landing was too fast / steep…