Turbo tutor vs tutor

Joshua C

Hello everyone! I have been out of the hobby for about 2 years. I’ve been looking at getting back into it. I have a question about the tutors for everyone. I am thinking about getting the turbo utter value pack but I’m worried if it would be difficult to fly. Is the turbo tutor a lot harder to fly than the tutor?
Thanks!

dylanbeaudette

Hi, depends on what you mean by "difficult". The regular tutor is reasonably easy to fly, but only after getting the CG just right (2200mAh battery all the way forward on my model), and trimmed. Our Tutor was a real dog at first because it was a little tail heavy and our AEL/ELE throw too small. Now that we have this plane dialed in, it flies like a champ--even after several spectacular crashes!

Foamforce

I have both wings, but I’ve only flown it with the floats. With floats, the training wing flies a little easier, but not by a lot. This weekend I’ll probably be able to fly the two wings with regular landing gear. I’ll let you know how they compare.

With regards to your original question though, I wonder if the Turbo Tutor bundle includes a trainer wing too. It doesn’t specifically say so, but it says you save $40 with the bundle. If the parts included are $140 on their own, that seems like the cost with an extra wing. Even if it doesn’t though, how about scratch building a Trainer wing? That’s a nice way to try scratch building.

Good luck!

dylanbeaudette

Good reminder to scratch build the wing. I might do that for the turbo wing. It does seem like the ailerons on the trainer wing are a little small.

D1994851-8E79-422A-8B41-D0D82BE8D08A.jpeg

8893EB45-A9C1-4E42-A9C1-5D51B827B820.jpeg

Foamforce

Good reminder to scratch build the wing. I might do that for the turbo wing. It does seem like the ailerons on the trainer wing are a little small.

View attachment 236724

View attachment 236725
You might double check your throws. I had plenty of aileron authority on my Trainer wing. I was about to do slow rolls and inverted flight pretty easily. Rolls were snappier on the Turbo wing though, so maybe that’s what you’re looking for.

JDSnavely

My youngest son and I made the Turbo Tutor for my oldest son's birthday. (My oldest is not as fond of building as he is to flying.) He wanted a plane with Tricycle landing gear. He loves the Turbo Tutor and consideres it much better than his Horizon Carbon Cub. We installed SAFE receiver but he flies it with and without SAFE. He also installed navigation lights. We are considering building the larger wings as a comparison but the Turbo is a great plane!

Attachments

• 20220831_064337.jpg
    20220831_064337.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0