Twin boom mark 2 with maiden video

Wes Vasher

I want to keep working on my twin boom plane design and make it better and easier to build. I decided to try building the booms out of foam instead of wood to make it lighter which worked well. The plane did not fly very well though. Cruising was okay, but it exhibited some really terrible control issues when I pushed it too far. I need to keep experimenting with it.

The biggest problem is building the wings without any twist.

More pictures and details

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0169.JPG

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Very nice.

Control issues probably come from that short tail moment. If your booms were longer (maybe 1.5 - 2 times the chord length) it might be easier to control.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Looks like your HStab is folded over and therefore 3/8" thick. That thickness might require a longer stabilizer chord length in order to keep the elevator in smooth airflow. More elevator area will also give you more authority, but, in turn, you will have to lessen the throws.

When it was cruising, it looked like it tracked pretty nice. A little pitchy in the slower turns. But it looked good and the geometry is pretty attractive.

Do you have FPV aspirations for the Twin Boom that you finalize? If so, your design is pretty close already to this plane.
https://www.google.com.af/search?q=...=X&ei=25o7VISqINDraMXTgcAJ&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQsAQ
Don't know if you are familiar with it. I was kicking around trying an EDF version.

I agree could be coming from short booms mine are a little over 2x the length of the cord of the wing, probably a little over kill but super stable. mine is set up to haul a ton of batteries and fpv gear so bit on the heavy side.
IMG_6160.JPG IMG_6169.JPG