UAV/PFV Regulations

erwabo

So, I've been reading a lot about regulations for FPV and more specifically UAV and autonomous flight (ie, HAM License, Part 107 etc.) From what I understand 400 ft. is the altitude "max", and line of site is to be maintained which seems to be up to 4.3 miles by FAA regulations (not sure if that's totally true) In any case, I am seeing on YouTube, many many videos of UAVs with Way Points and FPV with high powered transmitters going out 10-20 miles. Some videos have a fixed wing up in the stratosphere with a 30 minute descent. Are they people breaking the law, operating out of other countries, or am I just missing something. Been looking to build an autonomous drone, but not quite as fun if cant map way points ONLY line of site. Just wondering if anyone knows the ACTUAL laws and regulations regarding this. THanks

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
a28f46a0abe34f1366eb8cd397e28dc4.jpg

please don't kill me

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Like they say in the video gaming world.. Screenies or it never happened..

As for LOS that's a few hundred feet for most rc aircraft. They mean sight of the aircraft not the distance you can see anything. They tend to get really small really fast specially these race quads.

I think some of them guys doing that seriously long range have the higher level licenses or special FAA permission under design and testing protocols and actually file flight paths with the local atc's. The rest are illegally done and or done prior to the new regulations to use "Community standards". Which is kind of a grey area as long range pilots do have their own set of guidelines how to do those type flights as safe as possible.

erwabo

Yeah that's what I figured. Its just surprising to me that so many people are posting them on YouTube. I would think the FAA would use that as a great place to hammer people. A couple pilots had chimed in and said stuff telling them to please stay below 400' feet for safety reasons...but were treating it more as a "guideline" vs an actionable offense. If you caused a prop strike that took down a Cessna at 800', im pretty sure your aviation career would be over regardless

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I don't have time to read all the applicable rules, particularly since the law invokes AMA, or other nationwide group, and its safety regulations. However, it does appear you can fly over over 400' in appropriate areas with appropriate line of site. It's a complicated matter because the NAS is a complex system designed to keep everyone safe.

I've taken a DJI Phantom to 400' before. That's pretty darn high for a model aircraft. I'm quite certain I've never flown a plane anywhere near that high.

One easy example of when it is safe: suppose you are in a valley and within 400' of a mountain. You could tow a glider to over 400' from the takeoff point so long as you stay within 400' of the mountain.

At least that's a quick interpretation I think is correct based on quick reading. It's really best to learn yourself, and only follow posts with appropriate links to specifics. Note that this is not such a post and I am most certainly not giving advice you should actually follow.

The only advice I am giving is read for yourself and only follow advice that includes links to official regulations and rules.

But, flying below 400' won't always save you. Aircraft are allowed to fly below 500' under specific guidelines and you are required to yield to such aircraft. For instance, I often fly over a wide river, and in the winter time, pilots will often "buzz" the river. They really shouldn't in the summer because of boat traffic. So, when flying over the middle of the river, I need to be prepared to drop to less than 40-50' or leave the area if possible. There is also a designated seaplane landing area to the North of me that I need to keep in mind.

Mike

erwabo

Yeah I was watching a guy last night...from what I gathered he was in the Bayou area in the south, but he had an impressive FPV setup and he was at 5200 feet, flying through broken clouds. Took him about 7 minutes to altitude. I read all the FAA stuff and you can use Class E Airspace and not be bothered too much, but as you said, a lot of these long range guys file flight plans with ATC and if they are going over 400 they also can notify ATC so they can send out a NOTAM