UNCLE!!!

Turbojoe

Elite member
OK so I got the BigTreeTech SKR Mini E3 V2.0 32 bit board a few weeks ago. Installation was easy and it has been printing great AND quiet. I got the BL Touch kit yesterday. After finding nothing but bad info on Google on the wire position in the connectors I finally stumbled on a site that actually showed the V2 board and the same wire colors of the BL Touch I have I got it working. I manually leveled the bed and then let BLT do it's thing. After it going through all 25 sensing points I printed a small 10mm part. Huge failure. It didn't stick using hair spray and 55c bed temp. I printed another and looked at the nozzle height. It was at least 3-4mm above the bed. Neither the board nor the BLT have documentation worth a damn and there are SO many worthless YouTube videos out there. I'm sure it's a simple thing to correct the print height after BLT bed sensing. I just don't know where to start. Keep in mind that this is the latest 32bit board V2 and latest BLT V3.1. I'm pretty sure the BLT doesn't use any optics so I don't know how it could be a problem but I'm using a 4mm glass bed.

Joe

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
OK so I got the BigTreeTech SKR Mini E3 V2.0 32 bit board a few weeks ago. Installation was easy and it has been printing great AND quiet. I got the BL Touch kit yesterday. After finding nothing but bad info on Google on the wire position in the connectors I finally stumbled on a site that actually showed the V2 board and the same wire colors of the BL Touch I have I got it working. I manually leveled the bed and then let BLT do it's thing. After it going through all 25 sensing points I printed a small 10mm part. Huge failure. It didn't stick using hair spray and 55c bed temp. I printed another and looked at the nozzle height. It was at least 3-4mm above the bed. Neither the board nor the BLT have documentation worth a damn and there are SO many worthless YouTube videos out there. I'm sure it's a simple thing to correct the print height after BLT bed sensing. I just don't know where to start. Keep in mind that this is the latest 32bit board V2 and latest BLT V3.1. I'm pretty sure the BLT doesn't use any optics so I don't know how it could be a problem but I'm using a 4mm glass bed.

Joe

if I am correctly understanding what your saying there, sounds like your blt touch is offset vertically by 3-4mm from where it thinks it is, so it is zeroing off by that much.

if your using a glass bed and it was doing an optical sensor, it would more likely be dragging the head in/scratching your glass bed vs being to high.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Since I posted I found a YouTube video for calibrating the Z off set for the BLT. Didn't help. The sensor is just plain too low to the bed vs the nozzle. I went to Thingiverse and downloaded an original Ender 3 specific (not V-2, Pro etc.) mount bracket. I disabled the BLT and just started printing the bracket. If that doesn't work I also downloaded an adjustable bracket to print and try.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Well I guess it was worth a try. The fixed mount ended up taking the sensor too HIGH. I printed out and installed the adjustable mount and went through the whole Z offset process again. I still had to adjust the sensor slighly to sense and retract just as the paper between the bed and the nozzle made contact. Success at last! I don't understand why they don't include an adjustable mount in the kit. :rolleyes:

Now I need to adjust the Z steps again on X and Y. I had been getting awesome prints then I replaced the nozzle a few days ago and print quality suffered as far as dimensional accuracy goes. I'm pretty good at Z steps now so I'll work on that tomorrow. I've been at this all day! An interesting benefit of the BLT is that the Z axis has always printed too low. Now a 3mm thick part prints at EXACTLY 3mm!!! That made my month.