Upgrades for my Flysky FS-TH9X (Turnigy 9X), Telemetry, etc. (Frsky Stuff)

Ddm5

I was thinking about modifying my "Turnigy 9X" to include telemetry, signal strength indicators and an actual Failsafe. Hobbyking stocks the FrSky modules + receivers of course and I was wondering which Module and Receiver I should pick up to upgrade the 9X with. My requirements are Telemetry, Failsafe and RSSI as I would like to know in flight how my battery level is,my signal strength is and that I'm sure my Multirotor will return to me if the radio cuts out. Any recommendations guys? and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about this Telemetry screen And would it work with the Frsky Modules for all my needs?

450 Quad
DJI Naza Lite + GPS.
Failsafe will be bound to RTL / RTH.

Edit: If anyone tells me to just buy a Taranis please don't bother.

PhenomPilot

I haven't looked at this for my 9x as the taranis is such a good price. You could sell your 9x and only need about $100 for a radio that already is capable of your requirements and have tons of room for saving more planes. (The real reason I am eyeing the taranis) I am fairly ignorant about telemetry but starting to learn a little. Is there a benefit to modding the 9x over getting the Taranis? Range or signal quality? I really don't know much about that radio but it sounds like people love it. Please post back here if you do mod your 9x as I am still kinda interested if it isn't too much.

Last edited:

Longbaorder23

the DJT two way module from Frsky is great, been using it for just over a year now, love it. if you flash your 9x to 'er9x' firmware, (which i havent done,) you can have it display rssi, telemetry, voltage, and a failsafe is already in the 9x...? i KNOW for a fact the DJT module and frsky stuff support failsafe. i have used it multiple times! maybe the 9x by itself doesnt support failsafe, nor do i use the "failsafe" option in the radio. but the module does. ive tested it with a range of anywhere from 3500-4000+ feet, depending on the day, (obviously i fly fpv) so if youre not, then definitely, if you can *see* the model, its in range with solid link! HIGHLY recommend the DJT and a telemetry two way receiver such as the D8R XP. on the side note, youll need frsky telemetry gear to get those functions, such as an onboard volt meter, a temp gauge, or whatever you would want. connect those to the receiver, and flash your 9x firmware, and boom there you go. but i wouldnt look over the taranis so fast, if you got that, you wouldnt need to flash your 9x, it would all be there already... (i believe, someone correct me if im wrong) Goodluck!

Ddm5

the DJT two way module from Frsky is great, been using it for just over a year now, love it. if you flash your 9x to 'er9x' firmware, (which i havent done,) you can have it display rssi, telemetry, voltage, and a failsafe is already in the 9x...? i KNOW for a fact the DJT module and frsky stuff support failsafe. i have used it multiple times! maybe the 9x by itself doesnt support failsafe, nor do i use the "failsafe" option in the radio. but the module does. ive tested it with a range of anywhere from 3500-4000+ feet, depending on the day, (obviously i fly fpv) so if youre not, then definitely, if you can *see* the model, its in range with solid link! HIGHLY recommend the DJT and a telemetry two way receiver such as the D8R XP. on the side note, youll need frsky telemetry gear to get those functions, such as an onboard volt meter, a temp gauge, or whatever you would want. connect those to the receiver, and flash your 9x firmware, and boom there you go. but i wouldnt look over the taranis so fast, if you got that, you wouldnt need to flash your 9x, it would all be there already... (i believe, someone correct me if im wrong) Goodluck!

The 9x's basic reciever doesn't have a built in true failsafe, the radio itself support the failsafe and receivers that have it built in such as the FrSky stuff. I was thinking about getting the onboard volt meter for voltage monitoring, I'll look into flashing the 9x with the ER9X software but at the moment I can't get the stuff I need due to me requiring to replace other non related stuff (Wooo, the joys). I mostly want RSSI just for peace of mind and the failsafe just in case really. I also plan on flying FPV down the road after I switch the midplates out for the TBS Disco plates. The DJT module was the one I was going to start off with but I'm still unsure about which receiver to get specifically.

Ddm5

I haven't looked at this for my 9x as the taranis is such a good price. You could sell your 9x and only need about $100 for a radio that already is capable of your requirements and have tons of room for saving more planes. (The real reason I am eyeing the taranis) I am fairly ignorant about telemetry but starting to learn a little. Is there a benefit to modding the 9x over getting the Taranis? Range or signal quality? I really don't know much about that radio but it sounds like people love it. Please post back here if you do mod your 9x as I am still kinda interested if it isn't too much.

Well I have the 9X sitting here as you know, originally my budget was going to include the Taranis but I fell short due to needing all the basics such as the charger, etc. If I modded my 9X it would greatly increase the range, robustness and general features of the radio I suppose. It would also open up more options for me such as all the Telemetry and the actual failsafe I want. Also, since I currently only have the 9X for my 450 quad I don't need a lot in terms of features, model bank, etc. But all in all I'm not sure about what to do since the Taranis is a good buy but I'd have to go through the pain of trying to sell it, and then add extra which would come to about £60 for the bundle (Sold wise) and then + £80 ontop. A module bundle and receiver + Telemetry screen and even a onboard voltage sensor would save me maybe £20 - £30 compared to the Taranis, only problem is is that the Taranis has a lot of nice features as everyone knows.

PhenomPilot

If you are planning on keeping the 9x, the er9x firmware is probably the best thing you can do! It makes the radio so much more user friendly and gives a lot more options. All you need to do it is a usbasp, 10pin or 6 pin cable, a soldering iron and about an hour. The usbasp and cable probably cost £3.