Using LiPo's in Spektrum Transmitters

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Seems like a lot of effort to put into a 50 dollar DX5. Alkaline batteries aren't that expensive.

fred0000

Seems like a lot of effort to put into a 50 dollar DX5. Alkaline batteries aren't that expensive.

if my iron was pre-heated 5 min of work maybe (once the radio was apart), those turnigy 500mah 2s 20c packs fit great in the battery bay with no modifications.

for about $15 in parts, and only a few minutes of your time, it seems very worth it if you use one of these radios alot.

(Ak Flyer, I almost did this mod to your DX4e before I decided I was going to sell it)

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I run a Lipo from Hobby King in my Futaba T7C with no issues at all. Looking to put one in my Turnigy TGY9X as well. ALL transmitters should come with them IMHO!

Thurmond

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'm leery about using lipos in my tx. I use this in my 9303 instead of nimh. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...lightmax_1800mAh_9_9V_5C_LiFePo4_TX_Pack.html

Life packs are much more stable and last longer than lipo. They also run at a slightly lower voltage so no diodes are needed. I can easily fly all day on this batt but I also have a spare just in case.

I don't know anything about LiFe packs. Are there any special charging procedures or problems or are they similar to handling Lipo's?

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Most chargers can do life packs. The accucell 6 and the thunder ac6 for sure. You change the settings in the program menu to life from lipo and you are good to go.

They are really similar to lipos but dont have all the drawbacks. You don't need to worry about storage as they can be stored in any state of charge. They also aren't damaged by over discharge. They best part is that they last forever. The one hobbico pack I have states that they have a 1000-2000 cycle life. I personally know someone with pack cycles in the hundreds. They have a better c rating than Nimh and they don't require a reg or bec like a lipo.

The only real drawback is that they don't have as high a voltage as lipos. In a tx-rx battery this is an advantage as a 3s pack is similar to a 8s Nimh pack and 2s life works perfect as a replacement for a 5s receiver pack.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Good to know. I've been looking at replacing my nimh flight packs in my nitro planes. Might have to go life.

Spicks

I have a 7.4v 2s 850mah lipo in my DX6i...Very easy mod to do and lasts a lot longer than NIMH battery and you can charge it the same as a flight lipo ... ... just soldered a deans male connector on to the original NIMH internal + & - connections and voila.... Lipo powered .
I have also put a strip of 3 led's inside too to light up the screen a little ... Not as bright as a proper backlight kit but works better than having no light at all and turns on and off with the normal power switch. I had a strip of led's hanging around so both mods cost very little ;)

Spicks

Yes no problem at all ..... Its just not as bright as the fully backlit displays in daylight that's all

peepsdayz

I have a 7.4v 2s 850mah lipo in my DX6i...Very easy mod to do and lasts a lot longer than NIMH battery and you can charge it the same as a flight lipo ... ... just soldered a deans male connector on to the original NIMH internal + & - connections and voila.... Lipo powered .
I have also put a strip of 3 led's inside too to light up the screen a little ... Not as bright as a proper backlight kit but works better than having no light at all and turns on and off with the normal power switch. I had a strip of led's hanging around so both mods cost very little ;)

Great what batt are you using?

Daly1984

Use a UBEC

10723347_10152870477312652_430943888_n.jpg 10728627_10152870477692652_535509431_n.jpg Thats how i have set mine