V-22 Osprey VTOL from BlitzRCWorks

Brick Pilot

How did they do?
Well, the PDI-HV2107MG were a bust. They are 6V! I should have read the description more carefully.
I then bought PDI-HV2105MG, carved out a slot, and added them to the wings.
34442779110_834886996d_z.jpg

They look good, but can't hand the nacelle torque. I think these cheap servos may draw too much current at stall, as one wing wants to oscillate at rest. Pay no attention to the horribly scarred fuselage. I mistakenly reversed my throttle servo while the beast was at rest, and it almost tore itself apart before it ejected its battery. It was not difficult to reglue and it offered me the opportunity to add 4-40 blind nuts and socket-headed 4-40 cap screws to the wing. Those original screws were garbage.

I've just now replaced them both with HS-81MGs, and they work great! Smooth transitions from 45°-90°, and align perfectly at either endpoint, with a touch of endpoint adjustment in my DX6i (pay no attention to the Turnigy 9X in the video).

Brick Pilot

I'm seeing something odd with my V22, that I hadn't noticed before. In VTOL mode, the yaw gyro correction seems to be opposite of what I expected. It seems to accelerate the yaw, instead of countering it, which puts mine into an accelerating spin!

To test:
1) Power up the V22 in VTOL mode
2) Keep the motors OFF (no throttle)
3) Verify the yaw inputs on your left stick map to the proper nacelle tilt (ex. left stick left, makes the left nacelle rotate backward, and the right nacelle rotate forward)
3) Release the sticks, and by hand, yaw the plane (twist it) abruptly in one direction, and notice which way the nacelles tilt.
4) Did your nacelles tilt to accelerate the rotation (bad), or counter it (good)?

I eagerly await your results!

Tabasco2931

In VTOL mode, the yaw gyro correction seems to be opposite of what I expected...
I eagerly await your results!

Took it off the wall and tested it out based on the current settings for a Left yaw command the right nacelle should move forward (it does). For the gyro stabilization, a induced left yaw should be counteracted with the right nacelle to move back (it does). Albeit it's not very noticeable and more pronounced movement when the yaw motion stops and the nacelle "springs" back to it's normal position. Also of note, my servo's home is all jacked up and not @ 90. Hell, currently I can't even control the transition and she stays in this ~80* position.

I've had to go back to work and devoted the little time I do get to the motors and props.

Brick Pilot

Took it off the wall and tested it out..
Thanks! it looks like yours is working fine, and functioning completely opposite of mine. This tends to point to (my) user error, so I'll deep dive it and figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I have a rudder or servo reversal. This thing is sometimes funky to keep track of with regards to the "VTOL vs. Forward" flight functions being selectively disabled or augmented depending on flight mode.

I'll hit up Blitzworks Tech Support and see if they have any answers. If they cannot help, I'll try to contact the manufacturer, "Xane".

Brick Pilot

I found the problem. My replacement servos are HS81MG, which have a natural rotation 180° opposite of the natural rotation of the stock DM0170. I tested it by trying each servo in a plain old receiver, and moving the rudder stick. Each servo rotates in a different direction.

Just set the transmitter to reverse the gear servo you say? Nope. If I set my radio to reverse the nacelle rotation (Gear switch in my case), this only reverses the signal to the flight controller, which still outputs a "natural" signal to the servo. In order to fix it, I will need to add a servo reverser between the flight controller and the HS81MG servo in each wing.

Off to Amazon! I'll report back.

Mangee

Something you might think about, long leads between the battery and the escape.
I have ordered and plan on building a AI RQ-7 shadow and set it up for VTOL, 78 inch normal wing span need to shorten.
Read this article rcgroups.com.

Last edited:

Tabasco2931

hey Brick, what setup do you have on your DX? I'm pretty new to the controller and have been reading the manual. We all know how that can go. Did you assign different flight modes for the helicopter/airplane mode or is that just assigned to the gear setting? I'd like to use the "G" button and allow it to stop at the 45* position.
(New motors are installed, props are on but I need a new hub now. Ebay'ed and on it's way)

To the masses, Any tips for checking motor voltages, RPM, and thrust?

Brick Pilot

Sorry, but I've given up pm this POS airframe, after 4 crashes. The rods that pivot the nacelles are made from the softest of aluminum, and the slightest bump will bend them. After multiple disassemblies, straightens, and reassembly, and numerous crashes, I'm done. The garbage foam from which it is made, is pathetic in it's durability and compression, and any repair give it the look of a war-scarred veteran of airwars-past, which bely its modern sensibilities.

34868449296_57de9e2892.jpg 34909014205_127f4f85b5.jpg 34909005955_aba41cabd4_z.jpg

I now fly my convergence almost every (gale-less) day, and am loving every minute of acro! The V22 just sits on a shelf, with droopy twisted wings, and banana-shaped fuselage, silently mocking me.

Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:

Coriolis g

Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place to introduce a new VTOL/FW- please let me know if I should post elsewhere

here it is though: VOGI 1 - a tiltrotor without any tilt actuators - self tilting resulting in continuously variable transitions

check out the video

and the website: http://vogi-vtol.com

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
not sure... are ads allowed? cause it's looking to me like this is an ad... please correct me if I'm wrong.

ben1272

Are you still flying your v-22? I just bought one and hope to add larger props. Curious if you ever got to this mod yourself?

I was thinking of using a small helicopter blade and trying to make up a custom hub in order to set their pitch (as they are pitchless typically). I figure 3 small arms, each with an angled pad for mounting the blade, probably sandwiched. Downside is that blades wont fold in plane, but I could live with this I think. I am going to give it more thought.

I was also thinking that I could buy the master airscrew props and cut one half of the blade off leaving a single blade and hub....this is probably what I will try first as it is easier to achieve.

Hope yours is still flying. How is the training going for the full size v-22?

-Ben