VersaCopter V2 motors not the same RPM

KahunaTuna

I just built a Versacopter V2 with the E. power pack, and a Naze32 Rev 6 FCB. With the cord hooked up to the computer to the Naze 32 Rev 6 FCB and on Cleanflight app, on the motor display, using the master control slide bar, all motors are equal rpm. I'm using a Futaba T7C FASST 2.4 Ghz radio, using the transmitter motor 1 and 4 are equal rpm, but motors 2 and 3 are higher rpm and motor 3 keeps going higher rpm than the rest of the motors... Kyle posted he is having the same problem, well sort of... Can anyone help or suggest some helpful information what's going on? I too want to fly this quad!!!
I'm using the same radio on my Tricopters and not having this issue, but I'm using KK2 flight control boards...

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi KahunaTuna, welcome to the forum! First did you properly calibrate your ESCs? I might assume so since you have built and flown a tricopter before, but you never know. Second are you arming and raising throttle with the quad on a level surface. If it is not level and you are in angle (level) mode the motors will be trying to correct for the tilt. Another thing is that if you arm and let the motors spin rather than starting to take off, they will tend to have different RPMs over time. This is because they are trying to correct for the tilt or account for some stick movement and while laying on the ground the motors cant move the frame. If the differences in RPM is not too bad I would try getting the quad off the ground and then seeing what happens.

KahunaTuna

Hi Snarls,
Yes I've calibrated my esc's, and have imputed all the same setting PID, rate, everything as Josh did in his video. Holding the quad with a level Velcro to the frame so I know it's level. Armed the motors, they all come up to 1080 rpm, except motors #2 and #3, and 3 just keeps climbing in rpm. While holding on to the quad, you let it tilt the way the motor pulls it, motor 2 should try to correct the tilting in self level mode. It doesn't matter if I'm in Acro, or self level, it's always motor 3 that on it own, no input or movement of the throttle or quad, it just keeps climbing in rpm until I idle down. And sometimes I have to bump the throttle up to get the motors to idle down. If you just try to throttle down it has no effect to the motors, until you bump the throttle up a little, then I have control of the motors to idle down... Weird huh? No, if I try to take off from the ground it will shurly crash and break props... And unlike Josh's video, I always balance my props... Lol
I'm beginning to think its a defective Naze 32 board. Kyle is having a issue with his #3 motor doing the same thing. I'm ready to hook up my KK2 board and see if I have the same problem.

KahunaTuna

Hey Snarls,
And why is motors #1 and #4 holding a steady 1080 when I arm the motors??? And when I raise the rpm to give me enough to take off motors 1 and 4 are even and steady, but motor 3 keeps climbing in rpm, motor 2 fluctuates in rpm close to motors 1 and 4 but not steady like 1 and 4...

Jasthemaca

I have a similar problem. What I found is it is the angle mode which I have stopped using. I think it is in the PID settings under angle/horizon level, I think angle mode is set too high I haven't played with it as I no longer use angle mode. What I suggest is try flying it in horizon or acro mode with Josh's PID settings. That said you will still have to dial in your PID's as I started with Josh's setting but mine still had the jitters and would not hold heading that well. I'm still tuning but when I get mine dialed in I will share my settings here.

Ocean

This is not an issue, it is just the PID Controller doing its job, (specifically the I term is getting larger over time, as it is meant to do)

Your quad should fly just fine. :)

KahunaTuna

Hi everyone that's been trying to help me,
Y'all are correct, it does fly... A little twitchy, but I'm trying to adjust my PID to get a smoother flight. Does anyone know some PID setting that their happy with? I mean other than Josh's settings on his video...Just ordered 1800 Mah 4S 40C Lipo batteries to get a longer flight time.

KahunaTuna

So far 4 successful flights!!!

Hi Jasthemaca,
Well I tried what you said and it flys!!! Lmao I see what your saying about the jitters!!! So what are you adjusting in the PID Tuning page? Proportional? Differential? Pitch? Roll? Yaw? Or all the above? Lol

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi Jasthemaca,
Well I tried what you said and it flys!!! Lmao I see what your saying about the jitters!!! So what are you adjusting in the PID Tuning page? Proportional? Differential? Pitch? Roll? Yaw? Or all the above? Lol

Good to hear you got it flying. You'll want to tune all of the above. Tune the main PIDs in acro mode before you move on to tune the level PIDs in level/angle mode (assuming you'll want that). If you see high frequency jitter than you might try lowering the P gain on roll and pitch.