Vintage Bud Nosen Gere kit electric

NCC1701

Hi, my dad's coworker gave us a Bud Nosen Gere 1/3 scale kit, a very old plane, and we're going to covert it to electric. It's 96 inches wingspan and 14 pounds so it needs an 8s pack (4s in series) The esc we're going to buy is the Turnigy plush 100amp, and the motor and prop are the Tacon Bigfoot 110 brushless outrunner (295kv) and a 18x8 wood. The question I have is what kind of servos I would need and if the bec in the esc (5 amps) is powerful enough to supply the five, rather large, servos. I'm new to giant scale planes, in fact, the biggest plane I have is 48 inches. The price of these components is reasonable, and if we can, it would be great to have a giant scale for 300 bucks...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
You are going to need more than 3 amps for a plane that size. You are getting into bigger servos that are going to draw more amps. I'd do some looking on RC groups and see what folks are using for comparably sized planes. My 8' Telemaster has standard servos, but it's a light plane, so it's not really high loading on the control surfaces. I wouldn't be below 5A for a plane that size. I haven't checked amps, and since its a glow plane I run a NimH battery hooked straight to the receiver.

Last edited:

NCC1701

Thanks for the reply. I have just figured out that the Turnigy esc can't handle 8s. The only ones that I can find that are 4s-8s are in the 100-120 dollar range :p I'm learning as I go...

I would run an opto ESC, and a separate battery for the radio. When you get into big power systems, it's a good idea to keep the radio isolated from the power system. Big power systems can create harmful interference. It runs the cost up, but it keeps your plane alive longer.

NCC1701

Does your Telemaster have a setup like that? If so, it would be great if you could tell me how you would setup a separate battery for the radio system.

My telemaster is glow, and it only weighs about 9 lbs. I run all cheapo standard size servos. The wing loading on a telemaster is super low, and it flies REALLY slow. I run a 4.8V NimH and can fly about 20 flights before the battery needs charged.

I found a build on RCG, you might pop into it with a question and see what type of servos he ran. He ran a gas engine, but servos would be the same either way. You might look at one of the castle creations BECs and see if it would do what you need.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1070.html

Last edited:

NCC1701

My telemaster is glow, and it only weighs about 9 lbs. I run all cheapo standard size servos. The wing loading on a telemaster is super low, and it flies REALLY slow. I run a 4.8V NimH and can fly about 20 flights before the battery needs charged.

I found a build on RCG, you might pop into it with a question and see what type of servos he ran. He ran a gas engine, but servos would be the same either way. You might look at one of the castle creations BECs and see if it would do what you need.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1070.html
Wow, only 9 lbs?
I really appreciate the help you've given! I'll look at the cc BECs.
Happy landings.