VOTING is closed -- Frankenplane Contest RESULTS!!!!

Vote for The Best Frankenplane

• Eagle4's, because this sequal is better than the orriginal!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • CraftyDan's, because any idea stolen from Di$ney can't be all bad

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • RCSpaceflight's, because the early bird has time to make a second frankenplane!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • EpicFlyGuy's, because a corsair's wing is *just* what a champ needs!

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Time to vote! The frankenplanes are airborne (sorta) and the choices are up to you!

Got a field full of undead planes begging for your approval, and a fine group of undead planes they are! . . . will they be satisfied in their new rediscoverd life? Will they be struck down by angry villagers?

What's your favorite:

Eagle4's Sparrow?

CraftyDan's Dusty?

RCSpaceFlight's EDF glider *or* V-tail corsair?

EpicFlyGuy's Franken Plane Champ (as seen here)

Voting will run as up to the costume parties (about 8:00 PM EST, OCT 31), we'll tally and announce "prizes" (hope you guys like bragging rights!)

Comment below to nominate other award categories -- RCSpaceFlight has already won the "Earlybird" prize for first entry complete. Other award ideas? Best crash? Fuzziest video? best use of the color Chartreuse?

****** UPDATE ******

Polls have closed and we have results!

first, the alternate awards:

An honorable mention goes to AndyBenton for his just barely too late entry: Umx p"fugly"1

The Early bird and Overachiever awards go to: RCSpaceFlight for two quick built frankenplanes!

The Best use of duct tape in the Franken-assembly process goes to: Eagle4 -- classy work on pulling the sparrow together!

The Best RC to Freeflight Conversion, and Most Resembles an Actual Plane goes to: EpicFlyGuy for melding two classics -- a champ and a corsair (who knew it'd look so nice!)

Finally the Best Frankenplane for the 2013 round . . . well it's mine, but I didn't vote for it! Thanks to those who did!

So is this an "everybody who tried gets an trophy"?

In this case I think they've all earned it!

They've all tried a challenge, did their best and shared their experience. That's an example worthy of recognition! Now let's go out and follow that example!

Thanks to those who've watched, encouraged, joked and voted! Hopefully we'll have an even better competition next year! Until then, Build cool things, take challenges, joint contests and share the experiences! (and save the carcasses, since planes will rise from the dead around this time next year . . . )

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BB,

A fair catagory, in most circles, but doesn't hold to the three E's (Entertaining, Educating and Elevating). While it might be entertaining for some, if it's not elevating for all it's not for here -- just one more thing we do to keep the community friendly around here!

That, and we've got a lot of noobs around (and don't think I'm not one in many areas). These compititions are to encourage them and others to try stuff out and share the results. A practiced builder might make something that look really nice but has no inovation, where a novice builder might not have the skill to make it look nice but will succeed in making something really different.

Experience and skill should be recognized -- that's elevating to everyone -- but others shouldn't be punished for not being as far along.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
ok, I'll nominate a new catagory:

Best use of duct tape in the Franken-assembly process

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Last day for voting!!!!!

Also, don't forget to nominate any oddball awards you think apply!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
****** UPDATE ******

Polls have closed and we have results!

first, the alternate awards:

An honorable mention goes to AndyBenton for his just barely too late entry: Umx p"fugly"1

The Early bird and Overachiever awards go to: RCSpaceFlight for two quick built frankenplanes!

The Best use of duct tape in the Franken-assembly process goes to: Eagle4 -- classy work on pulling the sparrow together!

The Best RC to Freeflight Conversion, and Most Resembles an Actual Plane goes to: EpicFlyGuy for melding two classics -- a champ and a corsair (who knew it'd look so nice!)

Finally the Best Frankenplane for the 2013 round . . . well it's mine, but I didn't vote for it! Thanks to those who did!

So is this an "everybody who tried gets an trophy"?

In this case I think they've all earned it!

They've all tried a challenge, did their best and shared their experience. That's an example worthy of recognition! Now let's go out and follow that example!

Thanks to those who've watched, encouraged, joked and voted! Hopefully we'll have an even better competition next year! Until then, Build cool things, take challenges, joint contests and share the experiences! (and save the carcasses, since planes will rise from the dead around this time next year . . . )
I normally say "nay" to participation type awards, but in this case, I think Dan has done the right thing. Let's face it. All the entries had something going for them and it wasn't lack of effort by any means. Creativity will always be it's own reward, but in this case, bragging rights are in order as well. Nice job to all the entrants!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Craftydan for making this event possible ill try to get that maiden up soon

My pleasure! The competition went pretty well this time. We've been trying to get these going regularly during build season, and hopefully the "Next Holiday" contest will pick up what we did right here and do even better!

Epic fly guy

Awesome Member
My pleasure! The competition went pretty well this time. We've been trying to get these going regularly during build season, and hopefully the "Next Holiday" contest will pick up what we did right here and do even better!

Are you taking part in the next competition?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Are you taking part in the next competition?

I'm planning to build -- Xuzme has "volentold" to officiate, which is one less thing to do while building.

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Need to figure out something . . . We've got less than 2 months left to go ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Volentold...that's perfect! lol

Common term around work -- bad habit among the higher-ups to make something "voluntary", with no choice but to do it.

There was a subtle amount of peer pressure involved . . . not to say you weren't about to jump when I gave you that little push . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No worries Dan. I accepted in the spirit it was offered. I really don't mind helping out where I can.