Want to build a multi engine plane

Coachbear52

Can anyone help with how to space your motors on multiple motor aircraft, I have two plans one for a b24 and the other a b17 both have 48 inch wing span.

quorneng

Master member
If you are building scale planes then the spacing of the motors are already determined.
Rust remeber if you have a problem with one of the outboard motors it will try to make the aircraft turn strongly in the opposite direction to the failure.

Coachbear52

They are not scale got plan off this forum site. The plan was put on the site Nathan knight a couple of years ago and it didn't have any thing on the plan about motor place. So I want to build it but I need to know how determine motor placement, if have information that could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you replying to post.

quorneng

Master member
Coachbear52
I do not understand the reference "DTFS b24". Is it on this site?
If the plane is not to scale (b24?) then it is reasonable to put the motors in line with the wing with the prop tips as close to the fuselage and as together as possible to reduce the effect of any thrsut differencies.
Any chance of a picture?

Tench745

Master member
Coachbear52
I do not understand the reference "DTFS b24". Is it on this site?
If the plane is not to scale (b24?) then it is reasonable to put the motors in line with the wing with the prop tips as close to the fuselage and as together as possible to reduce the effect of any thrsut differencies.
Any chance of a picture?
Took a bit of searching, but I believe this is what he's talking about. It's a B-24 designed by thenated0g.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/b-24-dtfb-design-and-build-log.20801/

Tench745

Master member
Quickly reading through the original thread, it looks to me like the motors mount on 5 inch long power pods the size of a mighty-mini firewall. The green lines on the plans for the wing appear to mark the inboard side of the power pod. Post 6 of the original thread has some pictures of the bottom of the wing with dimensions written on it. These should tell you where to mount the power pods.