Wanting to get into the hobby

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I was originally looking to a simulator like the realflight 7.5, I may still go that direction to start with, but my laptop doesnt have a cd drive, though I have a comp with one, If i go a simulator route to start, I may have to make a usb iso image of the cd to be able to play it

You may be able to get away with installing it onto an external hard drive or thumb drive and execute it from there.

Ace2317

I installed Phoenix from a USB CD drive and it works fine. It doesn't have to run the disk every time, just once for the install.

SlowPass

I was originally looking to a simulator like the realflight 7.5, I may still go that direction to start with, but my laptop doesnt have a cd drive, though I have a comp with one, If i go a simulator route to start, I may have to make a usb iso image of the cd to be able to play it

My desktop doesn't have a cd/dvd drive and I had to burn the disk to an ISO image on another computer with a dvd drive, copy it to a USB drive and mount the ISO image on my desktop before the installer would run correctly.

Ace2317

I've played with both Phoenix and RealFlight. RealFlight is probably better (a few more planes, more landscapes, etc.), but Phoenix is really coming along in that category. As far as flight physics, they both feel about the same. A lot of people give RealFlight a slight edge, and I would agree with them sometimes, but it's definitely not much of a difference. Phoenix is also a much more sleek interface, in my opinion.

The biggest benefit for Phoenix is that if you buy the one with the radio, you get a Spektrum radio. If you already have one, then you can save about $40. As far as I know, RealFlight can only use the RealFlight radio.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
From what I've read/heard from other people there are really three good ways to get into the hobby. A) Buy a small, light RTF like the Champ or Vapor or Duet or Mini Radian. B) Join a club or have someone that knows how to fly set up your plane for you. C) Use a simulator.

As far as a simulator, the simulator actually only has two goals. 1) Learn orientation. 2) Learn muscle memory. The orientation lets you quickly know which direction you need to turn/react. The muscle memory lets you instantly make an adjustment without having to remember which stick does what. Really any simulator will teach those two things. Including www.rcdeskpilot.com which is free but requires a computer with Windows. (See signature for add on models for RC Desk Pilot.) If you use a simulator, fly all the models. Not only get comfortable with flying, but get comfortable with being able to take off, fly a pattern, and land all/most of the planes. You'll be better off in the long run. But start with the easy to fly planes.

AddisonHeinzman

im looking at the Pheonix rc sim with the dx6i and a bnf vapor as where i live currently the weather outside isnt the greastest to fly in but i have a fairly large living area i could fly in, and if i get a nice decent windless day a good sized back yard to fly in

joecook0723

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S RTF

The Sport Cub S RTF comes in at $129 and has everything you need to fly.
It contains the micro-sized Sport Cub S, the MLP6DSM 6-channel Transmitter, an E-Flite 1S 150MAH 25C battery, and a USB port charger for the battery.
The Sport Cub S is nice and small so it makes easy storage and ability to fly at your town park with a 24 inch wingspan.
It contains the SAFE technology- an amazing aspect.
There are 4 modes of SAFE that will help you learn to fly and move up in experience.
Beginner Mode- Takeoff and Landing Assistance, Auto-Leveling, Turn Coordination
Intermediate Mode- Do what you want, just no aerial acrobatics.
Experienced Mode- Unassisted flight.
Panic Recovery Mode- Hold down the red button when you are about to crash and the airplane will automatically level out and continue to fly.
So only for $129, go for it!
Also check out the other SAFE airplanes- they all have the same modes.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I will agree with joecook but just so you know the transmitter that it comes with has a lot less range than a full size transmitter and they can't handle much wind.

AddisonHeinzman

Thanks for the advice, I may eventually get a bnf sport cub, but I ordered the pheonix sim with the dx6i combo, and a bnf vapor, as I will be able to fly more readily indoors than outdoors in the current season where I live. And for the transmitter I was originally looking at teh dx6i or a ttx650 so either way I'm getting a transmitter i've looked into

joecook0723

Thanks for the advice, I may eventually get a bnf sport cub, but I ordered the pheonix sim with the dx6i combo, and a bnf vapor, as I will be able to fly more readily indoors than outdoors in the current season where I live. And for the transmitter I was originally looking at teh dx6i or a ttx650 so either way I'm getting a transmitter i've looked into
SCS also will do indoor flights, but anyways, when your ready, BNF Sport Cub for sure.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Yeah i actually have a transmitter in mind, the tactic, ttx650, a 6 ch transmitter, i dont think i would need a 9 channel for a long while

id say get a duet its $54 you cant beat that but your tactic wont go to use with this one.
also don't go with the champ 80$ is too much for a fragile plane.
if you want something bigger the delta is nice but its 150 or so
your last option is build your own ft 's kits are the best i would start out with the scout or the three pack (nutball, flyer, delta)
welcome to the forums freind
sincerely,
Airhawk:)

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
After flying my Delta Ray more, and getting a Sport Cub S, I am leaning more towards the Delta Ray for your next plane. My sport cub has been very sketchy. It is horribly set up out of the box and needs a lot of trim. I probably need to do some hardware adjusting. It has a tendency to lose power sometimes too. I was a little intimidated by the heaviness of the delta ray at first, but with no gear it isn't an issue. the plane tracks so well in light breezes. you will get more growth out of it too. That said, my daughter flew and landed the Sport Cub S safely. The UMX radian is also a good plane.

AddisonHeinzman

Update, i bought my pheonix rc sim with dx61, and a night vapor bnf, from horizonhobby, The only issues i had was, the box the transmitter and sim came in somehow was missing the sim and the adapter, and the night vapors charger was a dud, but i contacted the company, the next day, and they are sending me the sim and adapter, and a new charger free of charge, which is awesome

KRAR

Invest in a good transmitter and a good trainer. I suggest this because if you don't know the basics you learn them much quicker and much easier on somthing that is meant to be learnt on than with something that is hard to fly. A good transmitter is not cheap, however when you want that plane that needs a extra channel you dont need to spend the money. I highly suggest spektrum simply because of the versatility and the quality. My personal opinion would be to buy.. the apprentice from E- flite as a bind-n-fly is 270, the RTF is 300.

If I had the money get the Apprentice with a DX9($450), which is a little much. However you won't need to upgrade that remote for years. so you'd be spending over 700.

so if your budget is around 300, get the apprentice as a RTF, it has everything(battery, charger, esc, motor, rx, plane). flit test review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8H02ZaRjQU) something that is easy for a beginner yet you can grow into.

If you have a budget less than that, I would say wait. Here's why... my old roommate was trying to learn as I got him into the hobby and it was too much all at once. How to fly, how to build, setup the plane. once you crash how do you make proper repairs, just too many variables. With the apprentice it takes alot of those variables away, and you can slowly upgrade your system ie battery charger, remote.