Into the deep end

InfinityACE

Hello,

I'm brand new to the hobby but have been wanting to get into RC planes since I was a kid. For Christmas, my family got me a Mighty Mini to get me started and also the new F4 kit. As an amateur woodworker and overall tinkerer, the build process of the F4 doesn't scare me as much as it probably should :) Looking forward to getting started once the rest of my servos arrive. I'll try to post build pictures along the way and please pardon all of the questions I'll probably be asking here shortly!

Are there any builders out there in the Franklin, TN area?

Josh (not related to the flite test Josh)

Tench745

Master member
Which Mighty Mini did you get?

Some of them are bigger handfuls than others.

The F4 is an advanced build. For an amateur woodworker/tinkerer, it is possible, but I recommend familiarizing yourself with the material and techniques before you jump in on the kit.
Similarly, it is often advised to start with a trainer plane when learning to fly. You want to start on something relatively slow, stable, and well behaved, with enough power to get out of trouble.

The F4 is not necessarily those things, but it is a fine plane to work up to. It's useful to have a goal to work towards; gives you direction and helps keep up the motivation.

InfinityACE

I got the mighty mini tiny trainer MKR2. I like that I can build it up as a 3 channel and then swap the wings to go 4 channel. I figure I'll learn to fly on it while building the F4. I've been watching the build videos for the both planes so I'm anxious to get started. That said, I'm not anxious to turn the F4 into a lawn dart so I'll try to get plenty of flying done and more comfortable with the smaller plane first. I'm super thankful for all of the build videos hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with a local rc club once the weather gets better here in Tennessee.

Tench745

Master member
I got the mighty mini tiny trainer MKR2. I like that I can build it up as a 3 channel and then swap the wings to go 4 channel. I figure I'll learn to fly on it while building the F4. I've been watching the build videos for the both planes so I'm anxious to get started. That said, I'm not anxious to turn the F4 into a lawn dart so I'll try to get plenty of flying done and more comfortable with the smaller plane first. I'm super thankful for all of the build videos hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with a local rc club once the weather gets better here in Tennessee.
Sounds like you've got the right idea. The tiny trainer is good. Some people have taught themselves to fly with it. The one shortcoming of the mighty mini series is in the name; they're small. Small means small errors are proportionally bigger than on a larger aircraft. Not a big issue, but something to keep in mind.
I encourage you to trace out the pieces of your Tiny Trainer before you build it so you can easily rebuild as you learn to fly. You can do the same with the F4, but it's complex enough I wouldn't want to hand-cut a replacement.

InfinityACE

Sounds like you've got the right idea. The tiny trainer is good. Some people have taught themselves to fly with it. The one shortcoming of the mighty mini series is in the name; they're small. Small means small errors are proportionally bigger than on a larger aircraft. Not a big issue, but something to keep in mind.
I encourage you to trace out the pieces of your Tiny Trainer before you build it so you can easily rebuild as you learn to fly. You can do the same with the F4, but it's complex enough I wouldn't want to hand-cut a replacement.
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought to trace the parts out as a backup to crash landing :) What a journey to begin and I appreciate tips from the masters for sure.

MaxTheFliteFreak

That is true, but the tiny trainer has roughly a 1 meter wingspan and that is actually quite substantial for what it is, and it should be quite dossile if you dial down the rates, throws and add expo. You would worry about touchiness with something like a micro, where the wingspan comes in at around 400mm. So the tony trainer should be great for him learning to fly. Speaking of which, does it fly slowly? I'm wondering if it would be a good indoor plane.

Bricks

Master member
Remember when building lighter is better, more glue does not make it stronger, as hot melt is the quickest way to get heavy fast, same with finishing paint etc.

Tench745

Master member
That is true, but the tiny trainer has roughly a 1 meter wingspan and that is actually quite substantial for what it is, and it should be quite dossile if you dial down the rates, throws and add expo. You would worry about touchiness with something like a micro, where the wingspan comes in at around 400mm. So the tony trainer should be great for him learning to fly. Speaking of which, does it fly slowly? I'm wondering if it would be a good indoor plane.

I haven't built the TT myself, so I can't say. I am just passing on what I've heard. Some people find it quite difficult to fly and others say it's a great trainer. I suspect it comes down to build quality, what your rates are, and how it compares to what you're expecting.

MaxTheFliteFreak

I haven't built the TT myself, so I can't say. I am just passing on what I've heard. Some people find it quite difficult to fly and others say it's a great trainer. I suspect it comes down to build quality, what your rates are, and how it compares to what you're expecting.
Certainly, every single thing matters when building a kit plane, but it sounds as if this guy has built things before and has the experience, so I am confident that he will have no trouble building it.