What did you crash today

L Edge

Master member
Rainy or windy? If it's windy it'd be a good time to practice flying in heavy wind.
Take a powerful plane, move the battery forward and go to town:D

@L Edge I did fly and I got it on video, but it’s not worth posting at all. The knife edge was going really well on the FT-3D though

Do not move the battery in the plane, learn to control the plane(prop dia and pitch help) with rudder and throttle. Agree with using a plane that has plenty of power.
Do you know how to get back up if you are blown downwind?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Do not move the battery in the plane, learn to control the plane(prop dia and pitch help) with rudder and throttle. Agree with using a plane that has plenty of power.
Put the nose down and give it a lot of throttle?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have found that pushing the battery forward to move the CG about a quarter to half an inch in front of where usually is helps planes penetrate the wind a heck of a lot better.

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge I did fly and I got it on video, but it’s not worth posting at all. The knife edge was going really well on the FT-3D though
Put the nose down and give it a lot of throttle?

Heavens, no. High winds will drive it to the ground or go further downwind.

Just like sailing, you tack back at say a 30 degree by kicking in some rudder(crosswind like in landing) and gaining forward movement say right to left), rotate(big movement in rudder) and using rudder to go up 30 degrees crosswind.from left to right. Repeat till back.

Try that upwind with a plane on a windy day. Beats doing fast rolls or loops and nothing else. Each flight should have a new goal to practice and improve on what you are doing.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Heavens, no. High winds will drive it to the ground or go further downwind.

Just like sailing, you tack back at say a 30 degree by kicking in some rudder(crosswind like in landing) and gaining forward movement say right to left), rotate(big movement in rudder) and using rudder to go up 30 degrees crosswind.from left to right. Repeat till back.

Try that upwind with a plane on a windy day. Beats doing fast rolls or loops and nothing else. Each flight should have a new goal to practice and improve on what you are doing.
Oh, that makes sense! Looks like I should have some good n windy weather this weekend so I’ll give it a shot. (y)

L Edge

Master member
I have found that pushing the battery forward to move the CG about a quarter to half an inch in front of where usually is helps planes penetrate the wind a heck of a lot better.

Did you know that with your condition what happens in a turn? The nose will drop!!. Don't want that in a windy turn. Ever watch the RED Bull air series? Wind changes in those flights. When I competed in pylon Formula 1(180-200mph), you fly a knife edge for about 3 secs in days where it is windy, so you never change the static and dynamic CG of the plane.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Did you know that with your condition what happens in a turn? The nose will drop!!. Don't want that in a windy turn. Ever watch the RED Bull air series? Wind changes in those flights. When I competed in pylon Formula 1(180-200mph), you fly a knife edge for about 3 secs in days where it is windy, so you never change the static and dynamic CG of the plane.
For me it's a trade off, I'd rather be able to penetrate through wind, than have the nose drop in a turn. I don't move my battery as much with the bigger planes but on the minis with them weighing so little and 30mph wind gusts pushing a 300g plane you need the extra nose weight to penetrate the wind.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Both. And snow, so I’ll probably finish up the Sea Angel! Looks like a lot of snow too! 😁 but yeah, 15 - 20 mph winds so I’ll probably fly the bushwacker but as far as 3D which is what I’m focusing on now, anything 5-10 mph takes my focus away from the 3D aspect of it lol. :LOL:
The 3D does an awesome job in the wind if you plant the battery to the nose heavy side, has great penetration

Bricks

Master member
For me when flying in heavy wind unless I am flying a large heave`r then snot plane, I will slide the battery forward and point the nose into the wind, I have to stay on top of the elevator. Any time it gets sideways to the wind the fuselage exposes more surface area to the wind causing the wind to blow the plane farther down wind and giving me less control of where my plane is going.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Housekeeping stuff here. finding out what to do with my 3d printer still. Wait, crash? My Glue gun... fixed a broken glue gun.

L Edge

Master member
For me when flying in heavy wind unless I am flying a large heave`r then snot plane, I will slide the battery forward and point the nose into the wind, I have to stay on top of the elevator. Any time it gets sideways to the wind the fuselage exposes more surface area to the wind causing the wind to blow the plane farther down wind and giving me less control of where my plane is going.

How does a sailboat(windsurfing) go upwind then?
Using the rudder in that condition is the next step up to flying. Have you tried it?

Tench745

Master member
How does a sailboat(windsurfing) go upwind then?
Using the rudder in that condition is the next step up to flying. Have you tried it?
L Edge, I'm curious about this technique. Do you have a video, or a graphic or something that can help explain?
I'm a sailor myself, so I get the idea of tacking, but how exactly this translates to flying an aircraft doesn't make sense to me yet.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It's difficult when flying line of site, but you use the rudder to keep the plane flying at the same heading no matter which direction the wind is blowing so the plane may even be flying sideways but keeping the same heading. It's a lot easier to do this flying fpv or lots of practice line of site. I'm actually amazed at how much easier flying is FPV than line of site, almost like flying a real airplane as I am a private pilot too.