What did you crash today?

dylanbeaudette

It was one of those days: fresh off the repair bench, just enough light for a couple of flights, and then wammo-nose dive into the concrete. This Tiny Trainer has been through a lot, and I think she is fixable. Any suggestions of mending the wing? I was thinking about using popsicle sticks, stuck inside the wing, to help hold it together.

The power pack mounting holes and skewers are completely destroyed. May have to replace some of that foam board. Or, just wrap the entire thing in packing tape.

I should have been weighing this plane along the way, I bet each repair adds weight!

Attachments

• D6C034E7-7907-435B-A06E-5D1264A62F98.jpeg
    D6C034E7-7907-435B-A06E-5D1264A62F98.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

XDmToter

Is it still there? If it is there's a thread for that - Still Up a Tree
No, But it did take a week or so and a number of ideas to get it down. It was up there over 40 Feet! :eek:
The final recovery attempt was taking Four 10 foot sections of conduit, connecting them together, and giving it a few pokes. I think I spent more on the conduit than I did on the plane. :LOL:

XDmToter

It took more damage hitting the ground after coming out of the tree than it did hitting the tree. I had the power off and it just gently glided into the tree. Root cause was the control horn on the elevator had come loose. I could Bank, but I couldn't Yank. :unsure:

RCPowers-F18-V2-Tree-Recovery-1.jpg RCPowers-F18-V2-Tree-Recovery-2.jpg RCPowers-F18-V2-Tree-Recovery-3.jpg

dylanbeaudette

Still trying to crash less... Any tips on re-building power pods / packs? The power pod for our Tiny Trainer (first post in thread) has been rebuilt 3 times now and has mostly lost its shape. Scratch building is an option, but some laser-cut foamboard chunks would be a perfect business idea. I'd buy several for each kit in anticipation of the pending destruction.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Still trying to crash less... Any tips on re-building power pods / packs? The power pod for our Tiny Trainer (first post in thread) has been rebuilt 3 times now and has mostly lost its shape. Scratch building is an option, but some laser-cut foamboard chunks would be a perfect business idea. I'd buy several for each kit in anticipation of the pending destruction.
I HIGHLY recommend making a template for the power pod. That seems to be my crumple zone and saves the rest of the plane. Just download the free plans and only print out the PP. Happy Flying!!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Great idea, I’ll try that!

Found the plans here:
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-tiny-trainer

Any tips on foam board sources or making the template (straight cuts)?
I print the plans on normal printer paper and then use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to glue them onto poster board. Then cut out the template of the part. Then just trace the template onto foam board. For small parts I can hold it in place by hand but for larger parts I use a couple small pieces of Scotch double sided tape to keep the template in place.
Foam board and poster board at Dollar Tree or you can order a box from Flite Test.
My favorite tools for cutting:
Knife: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GIO2TG/?tag=lstir-20

Self healing cutting mat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MPBBR57/?tag=lstir-20

36" steel rule: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027A5JIE/?tag=lstir-20
12" steel rule: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00094A48A/?tag=lstir-20

dylanbeaudette

Thanks! We’ve got the plans and some fresh foam board is in the mail. Still not sure if the motor was damaged. I managed to repair the wing with hot glue and 1/2 popsicle sticks, with some packing tape for good measure. The dihedral appears to be about right.

Attachments

• 6766881A-A342-4244-927E-1B1504E611B3.jpeg
    6766881A-A342-4244-927E-1B1504E611B3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Burnhard

It was one of those days: fresh off the repair bench, just enough light for a couple of flights, and then wammo-nose dive into the concrete. This Tiny Trainer has been through a lot, and I think she is fixable. Any suggestions of mending the wing? I was thinking about using popsicle sticks, stuck inside the wing, to help hold it together.

The power pack mounting holes and skewers are completely destroyed. May have to replace some of that foam board. Or, just wrap the entire thing in packing tape.

I should have been weighing this plane along the way, I bet each repair adds weight!

My tiny trainer went through similar abuse. Would suggest to put a bit of carbon fibre tube in the wings. About 20-30cm. Takes away the risk of folding wings.

On the power pack mounting holes, you can fix these with a bit of hotglue. Or you build a new powerpack. As for the nose itself, you can allways cut away the damaged doublers and glue one some new ones.

dylanbeaudette

Hot glue, packing tape, and eventually a new paint job. Ready to fly again! Thankfully the power pack was still in good shape.

Attachments

• 66186E79-B547-4FA6-B4D2-438ADD9AC3D3.jpeg
    66186E79-B547-4FA6-B4D2-438ADD9AC3D3.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

dylanbeaudette

The repair job got us back in the air for another 10 or so flights. However, a couple hard landings caused the firewall to separate from the power pack. With 3 full batteries and plenty of daily light we did our best with what we had: gorilla tape. We wrapped the power pack and firewall in tape, leaving no place for the skewers. Rubber bands were used outside the plane to hold it all together. Flew like a champ! Even had the chance to try a 3s battery for the first time. The tiny trainer is a real hot rod with a 3s battery!

Attachments

• B701D2B9-6007-4D90-9227-FBA4D2FEA336.jpeg
    B701D2B9-6007-4D90-9227-FBA4D2FEA336.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0

Burnhard

Had a little mishap today. Right after the start the battery decided to exit the aircraft resulting in an immediate loss of control and a pretty hard landing.

Lesson learned, will add battery straps next time.

Attachments

• BF0BE695-2ABE-45C4-8B4B-006495FF09AD.jpeg
    BF0BE695-2ABE-45C4-8B4B-006495FF09AD.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 0

luvmy40

Elite member
Crashed my Bloody Brit thrice this afternoon! Her maiden flight was not so glorious.

First launch was a nose dive into the mud. For some reason when I throttled up, the motor never made past 1/4 throttle. I monkeyed around with the wiring a bit. Never did find anything wrong, but next try, the throttle was GTG.

Second flight was les than 30 seconds. The launch went right, but the flight controller was making her twitch like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I chopped the throttle and brought her in dead stick. I somehow managed to catch the prop and snapped it. Fortunately I had a spare.

Third flight was about a minute, sans flight controller, she was running smooth till I lost her in the sun. I must have twitched the elevator myself. Nose dive #2 from altitude at speed. The power pod was ejected, but the prop survived!

I got her all cleaned up, a new power pod done up and the flight controller removed. I'll have to take another look at the FC papers and see how to dial down the gain. I'd have thought they would be pretty low key/tame out of the box, but what do I know? It's my first rodeo with one.