What Did You Fly Today

Timmy

Legendary member
Here's the new tailless build I've been working on. I like it, it's fresh and different from a lot of lower aspect and/or tailed planes I've been doing lately. It's a bit of a challenge to fly and hard to land right, but I enjoy it and it's helping my skills grow. It's not a good plane for a beginner, but for what it is, it flies surprisingly good and the stall behavior isn't quite as bad as planes this planky usually are.
So to the people who fly a lot of planky planes like this, what are your secrets to success in building and flying?
Nice

This should count as scratchbuilding (even though it's not on foamboard yet). It's a quick-build sort of trainer for myself. Nice long nose for weight placement and I'll try to work in a reasonable diheral. Everything look proportionally ok? Advice? Or I'll just put my head down and bull forward.

MB2-Model.jpg

I thought it looked kinda like a racer but that big wing should be gentle
Trying to work on it right now -
I gotta ask do you think there's enough aileron? I'd make them wider but with the size of the plane and the shape of the airfoil, the bottom plate is restricting space for the aileron. As it stands I can get a maximum 1-1/4" width to the hinge point. And subtract the bevel from that.

It's very clear that this is why some FT planes use a double thickness on the trailing edge of the bottom plate.

I could run them the full length of the wing, but it's still a narrow aileron... ?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Trying to work on it right now -
I gotta ask do you think there's enough aileron? I'd make them wider but with the size of the plane and the shape of the airfoil, the bottom plate is restricting space for the aileron. As it stands I can get a maximum 1-1/4" width to the hinge point. And subtract the bevel from that.

It's very clear that this is why some FT planes use a double thickness on the trailing edge of the bottom plate.

I could run them the full length of the wing, but it's still a narrow aileron... ?
I'd probably make them full length

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here's the new tailless build I've been working on. I like it, it's fresh and different from a lot of lower aspect and/or tailed planes I've been doing lately. It's a bit of a challenge to fly and hard to land right, but I enjoy it and it's helping my skills grow. It's not a good plane for a beginner, but for what it is, it flies surprisingly good and the stall behavior isn't quite as bad as planes this planky usually are.
So to the people who fly a lot of planky planes like this, what are your secrets to success in building and flying?
That flies really nice!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I flew my freshly reconstructed Dal Mach 1 build. Not bad for its first outting. Still need to set up the camera, RSSI, and finish tuning it.

20200629_194739.jpg 20200629_194749.jpg 20200629_194759.jpg 20200629_194808.jpg

This is on betaflight with ZERO filters enabled. It runs way cooler and far less amp draw too now that I changed out 2306 2550 motors for 2406 2330kv and higher pitch props.

Progress tracking thread is here if anyone might be interested to see it develop.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dal-mach1-build-back-in-action.63997/

Timmy

Legendary member
I flew my freshly reconstructed Dal Mach 1 build. Not bad for its first outting. Still need to set up the camera, RSSI, and finish tuning it.

View attachment 173240 View attachment 173241 View attachment 173242 View attachment 173243

This is on betaflight with ZERO filters enabled. It runs way cooler and far less amp draw too now that I changed out 2306 2550 motors for 2406 2330kv and higher pitch props.

Progress tracking thread is here if anyone might be interested to see it develop.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dal-mach1-build-back-in-action.63997/
I kind of imagined you looking like your profile picture. You disappoint me :p