What Did You Fly Today

Yusernaym

20201029_131721_HDR.jpg

It had been a few months since I crashed anything, but that changed earlier today. The X-29 is down, but not out. I'll be figuring out what went wrong to cause the loss of connection, building a new nose and wing, and getting her back in the air. The first part of the flight was very promising, and I think once I get this motor sorted it'll be even more fun than it was on the prop. Everything except the nose cone and right wing is in pretty good shape considering it went into some brush under power.

tesseract

Master member
View attachment 182010
It had been a few months since I crashed anything, but that changed earlier today. The X-29 is down, but not out. I'll be figuring out what went wrong to cause the loss of connection, building a new nose and wing, and getting her back in the air. The first part of the flight was very promising, and I think once I get this motor sorted it'll be even more fun than it was on the prop. Everything except the nose cone and right wing is in pretty good shape considering it went into some brush under power.
oh no!!!!

Bricks

Master member
I've barely left my home for the last 7 months:eek::eek::eek:, getting kinda used to the solitude, what'll it feel like when every thing goes back to normal:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Not me I have pretty much continued on with what I normally do, just use some common sense about the whole deal, and I am not a young pup.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I know it takes solder, I tried last night. I could get it joined, just not good enough for my liking. I'm gonna try again soon if I'm not flying all evening this evening. It's the quietest day we've had in at least a month
from a local hardware store get some ferrels and a crimper for them they'll hold on real tight and they are light and the are small

tesseract

Master member
planes in the hangar: spitfire, mustang, cub, se5 bi-plane.
planes to be built: corsair, tornado, p-47 or one of the other cool looking warbirds that run on a c-pack
planes crashed: NIL.
Planes flown: NIL
Are you sure about that?
EDIT: I flew a cruddy packaging-foam glider I made when I was 9

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So far just RF9.... but looks like it may be drying out so may autotune one of my spider carriers later today. Really want to fly the coop. Maybe somebody should build a flying chicken coop!

Timmy

Legendary member
I maidened my VR-3.1 Tree Slapper! Woo!
Its definitely a STOL plane. It was quite windy but the plane was alright.
Good news:
  • takes off in 1.5 meters
  • landing gear is awesome
  • lots of power
Bad news:
  • No aileron control at high speeds
Here's my theory on why. At first I had less throw but very ineffective ailerons for the wind. I increased throw by a lot but the ailerons caused more drag than roll. Solution: bigger ailerons.

All the turns in the video were not made by me, just the plane, I tried to counter act but it wasn't working and I lost lots of altitude so I tried to land it instead. It went down a hill and that's why it disappeared suddenly. No damage except for the fire wall getting ripped of. Solution: Duct tape next time.
P1140448.JPG

No flaps were used during this flight, so you can't blame them.

Any other theories are welcome

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
Two flights on the Tiny Trainer, and one flight each on the others. Only mishaps today were, right after the first launch of the day, with the Tiny Trainer, my transmitter low battery alarm started going off (couldn't do so while I was getting everything set up...). Circled back around, landed, shut everything down, replaced Tx batteries, and launched again.

Only other mishap was the Bushwacker was behaving badly in the air. After fighting her for a couple of laps around the pattern, I brought her back in to find one of the aileron servos had come loose.

We couldn't have asked for much better conditions this morning. Comfortable temperatures, and almost no wind until between 10:30 and 11:00
Hangar10312020.jpg

This guy kept making passes over the field without bothering to announce his intentions. How rude!

Duster.jpg

(In all seriousness, he was dusting some nearby fields, so we kept an eye out for him, and made sure to stay out of his way. His close passes did, however, make for a nice photo-op.)

Tench745

Master member
Good news:
  • lots of power
Bad news:
Here's my theory on why. At first I had less throw but very ineffective ailerons for the wind. I increased throw by a lot but the ailerons caused more drag than roll. Solution: bigger ailerons.

All the turns in the video were not made by me, just the plane, I tried to counter act but it wasn't working and i as losing lots of altitude so I tried to land it instead. It wend down a hill and that's why it disappeared suddenly. No damage except for the fire wall getting ripped of. Solution: Duct tape next time.
View attachment 182157

Any other aileron theories are welcome
Your control rods are flexing

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Good news:
  • lots of power
Bad news:

All the turns in the video were not made by me, just the plane, I tried to counter act but it wasn't working and i as losing lots of altitude so I tried to land it instead. It wend down a hill and that's why it disappeared suddenly. No damage except for the fire wall getting ripped of. Solution: Duct tape next time.
View attachment 182157

Any other aileron theories are welcome
The video looked like it could be tail heavy or lacking tail area, but it could be the wind as you said. Also, could it be adverse yaw? It wouldn't remove all aileron control, but severe adverse yaw can make the plane fly pretty odd.