What Did You Fly Today

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is one of my Build-ruaury Entries. My first. I'm not sure I can call it a "Flight" entirely, but it isn't not an airborne craft. tried it Saturday.
In those few moments, it was obvious there was immense potential. and if the battery hadn't loosed and pulled a motor plug out. I may have been able to find neutral trim.
I fixed it last night, If it weren't raining, I would be testing it.

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
This is one of my Build-ruaury Entries. My first. I'm not sure I can call it a "Flight" entirely, but it isn't not an airborne craft. tried it Saturday.
In those few moments, it was obvious there was immense potential. and if the battery hadn't loosed and pulled a motor plug out. I may have been able to find neutral trim.
I fixed it last night, If it weren't raining, I would be testing it.
I honestly thought that that wwould be running on a f pack, not c pack motor!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Took the grey Bipe out today having adjusted the prop angle and given it some new wheels - the same kind that the old Bipe has. The old Bipe's never torn off its landing gear!

Dad came out too and racked up some air minutes without my tutoring. I also managed to disconnect an aileron servo at some point (either physically or in the software, wouldn't be the first time I've had a servo just 'bug' and be fixed with a simple switching off and on again). Failed to notice it wasn't working 'til flying that way for a few minutes and discovered the plane has a nice 'get you home' rating considering how much of a challenge it can be to fly.

Question to everyone - do my longer 6-8 min commentary videos get watched all the way through? Does anyone actually like these, or would I be better off putting out shorter vids? Just noticed recently that if anyone else on here takes the time to edit their videos, they basically cut them down to a highlight reel.

slowjo

Master member
Took the grey Bipe out today having adjusted the prop angle and given it some new wheels - the same kind that the old Bipe has. The old Bipe's never torn off its landing gear!

Dad came out too and racked up some air minutes without my tutoring. I also managed to disconnect an aileron servo at some point (either physically or in the software, wouldn't be the first time I've had a servo just 'bug' and be fixed with a simple switching off and on again). Failed to notice it wasn't working 'til flying that way for a few minutes and discovered the plane has a nice 'get you home' rating considering how much of a challenge it can be to fly.

Question to everyone - do my longer 6-8 min commentary videos get watched all the way through? Does anyone actually like these, or would I be better off putting out shorter vids? Just noticed recently that if anyone else on here takes the time to edit their videos, they basically cut them down to a highlight reel.
look forward to responses, I struggle with this also, how much to cut?! btw i subscribed to ur channel, try to sub to all FT channels, SlowJo

mdcerdan

Elite member

Good video pal! Actually my attention span is 3.5 minutes for all videos, after that I get distracted. The talking is ok for me

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Oh, right yes, that was a c pack. I originally wanted to mount a c-pod in it. But it didn't fit.
Now I get it, thanks foamy dm! also, I think the tail made it htat you have some down thrust, level it out, even if ift is not scacle, becasue that may be pushing it into the ground.

RokrRJ

After a couple unsucessful flights, my modified FT simple cub finally flew. :cool:

I didn't feel very confident after two failed attempts (first one the motor disconnected and it fell on the sea, second time it was tail heavy and got stuck on a tree), so this time a more experienced pilot handled the TX. :LOL:

Anyway... He said it reacts heavily on commands, so it's better to fly using ~60% rates. It glides well (1:12 until 1:19 the motor was cut off for a quick glide test), but apparently has a more aggresive stall compared to my RC carbon cub (another foamie, but a kit I bought).

Had to use a 2200mah 3s battery + 4 fishing weights to get the CG correct. It should weight around 720g. I'll put it on a scale soon and check that.
Btw, I know the FT design has ~420g, but this one has a 10cm wider wing. Probably not enough, so I'll try to cut some weight off.

Enjoy the maiden flight.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
After a couple unsucessful flights, my modified FT simple cub finally flew. :cool:

I didn't feel very confident after two failed attempts (first one the motor disconnected and it fell on the sea, second time it was tail heavy and got stuck on a tree), so this time a more experienced pilot handled the TX. :LOL:

Anyway... He said it reacts heavily on commands, so it's better to fly using ~60% rates. It glides well (1:12 until 1:19 the motor was cut off for a quick glide test), but apparently has a more aggresive stall compared to my RC carbon cub (another foamie, but a kit I bought).

Had to use a 2200mah 3s battery + 4 fishing weights to get the CG correct. It should weight around 720g. I'll put it on a scale soon and check that.
Btw, I know the FT design has ~420g, but this one has a 10cm wider wing. Probably not enough, so I'll try to cut some weight off.

Enjoy the maiden flight.

Nice job. that is a lot of weight though to balance, you could just move the wing back instead of adding weight to the front. it will make it lighter.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Nice job. that is a lot of weight though to balance, you could just move the wing back instead of adding weight to the front. it will make it lighter.
On the full size plans I've noticed that FT seems to weigh them as wayyy less than what the average builder can get the weight down to. Honestly as is, I think you're fine. The weights are minimal in the all up weight

Timmy

Legendary member
Wuts this plane called?
1614099159866.png