What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There is no way to dial the max voltage back on my charger. It's just a set of LED lights that tell me what percentage of charge it's at, and a solid green light when it's fully charged, pretty much automated. Plug and play.

Doesn't the battery only take so much charge and max out on it's own?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My venom charger charges each cell via balance and lead to 4.2 volts per cell, so the overall pack voltage is 12.6. I think this one is for @Hai-Lee 😉
It is obvious that you are not using the balance function of the charger if any!

Yes it is possible to have a LiPo battery pack charged beyond safe terminal or cell voltages but not repetitively if you want to keep the battery from blowing up or that battery melting down.

I had a newbie with a 3 cell pack that his ESC recognized as a 4 cell pack but it did not perform like that for long. It turns out he was using the fast charge option and was wondering why his batteries were only lasting a few months before they died totally whereas other club members are getting between 1 and 2 years life. Explained a few LiPo truths to him and now he ONLY ever charges cold LiPos using the balance charge option.

Revise you method or mode of charging for your and the battery's safety!

have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It is obvious that you are not using the balance function of the charger if any!

Yes it is possible to have a LiPo battery pack charged beyond safe terminal or cell voltages but not repetitively if you want to keep the battery from blowing up or that battery melting down.

I had a newbie with a 3 cell pack that his ESC recognized as a 4 cell pack but it did not perform like that for long. It turns out he was using the fast charge option and was wondering why his batteries were only lasting a few months before they died totally whereas other club members are getting between 1 and 2 years life. Explained a few LiPo truths to him and now he ONLY ever charges cold LiPos using the balance charge option.

have fun!
So I am doing it wrong? I always use the balance plug and charge at 1 amp. I use a cell voltage checker and make sure I don’t run them down too much. Anything I can fix/improve? I understand lipos are dangerous and I really don’t want to do anything stupid out of ignorance and burn down my house... thanks!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

have fun!
Ok, I didn't think I was doing it wrong but I will try it. Thanks for the tip.

Wildthing

Legendary member
The Venom fully charged is not much different:
1. 4.93
2. 4.9
3. 4.89
= 14.73

I do always charge them at 2 amps, 1 amp per 10c with the balance lead. The charger won't work without the balance lead. Are they being over charged?

A 3 cell battery is 4.2V per cell with a total of 12.6 fully charged. your battery is somehow being way overcharged.

Most voltage cut outs are around 3.8 v or 3.7 v per cell so right around 11.4 V total. Your battery at full charge should be 12.6

I am lost for a reason why the motor would squeal with one battery and not the other.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is exactly how I have to hook it up and I do this the same every time. Any other way and it won't charge.
20191018_184144.jpg

Again I just tried plugging in the balance lead only, didn't work. I plugged in the power leads only, no dice. The only way it will charge is with both plugged in at once and pushing the red button to activate.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE do you have one of those cheep voltage testers so you can see total voltage and individual cell voltage? They are only like 2 or 3 $
I have an actual voltage tester that I use, it's not RC specific. You can buy them anywhere. It reads voltage on anything from 2 volts DC to 600 volts AC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Get a decent charger with onboard voltage meter or the like. It might be a little more expensive but the extra costs will be soon recouped in extra battery life!

It could be that the charger is either faulty or charging to the wrong battery type.

Have fun!