What is the worst crash you witnessed

mhlau999

I will start

A long time ago I witnessed a maiden on a beautiful 1/4 scale piper cub with a big gas motor, the guy told us his wife insisted on curtains on the side windows. He took off nicely, circled the field and pile drove it into the ground. You could see the guys was just devastated, he walked out on the field with a shovel and a wagon. I packed up my glider and went home. Nope not flying that day.....

Last night it was pretty windy, I was working on low passes, clearly not three mistakes high and I have bounced my hobbyzone champ off the grass a few times, walk over, half throttle, chuck it back in the air. Apparently a butterfly flapped by and disturbed the air. :ROFLMAO:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Personally witnessed. Someone was flying a 3D heli ~3ft rotor span. It started accelerating toward the ground and then became a fountain of parts. Pilot said he got 'shot down' (Loss of signal).

mhlau999

Holy cats, a fountain of parts is a great way to describe that crash. It is usually followed by and out burst of cuss words. I love to see the near misses, I have seen planes just skim the ground and people are hi fiveing like they won the super bowl!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I was at flite fest west watching the giant race quad flying, and it came in to do a pass. I realized that it was way too low, and it was... I talked to Stefan about the quad for a minute, and I'm not sure exactly how, but I ended up with a blade from one of the broken props that was on the quad. FT has a video with the crash that they posted a while ago.

OliverW

Legendary member
My dads 120" Cessna Skymaster. Had a wing fold due to a weak ring design. Hit the ground at around 80mph. He spent 3 years building it
20180721_125842.jpg

sundown57

Legendary member
I am not sure how to respond to that video clip..... especially the 'everything is against this working' commentary leading up the attempt...
I would like to post my response in here but I don't think it would be allowed.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I went to a flying club and saw a guys 1/3 scale sopwith pup have it's carburetor clog midflight! He tried to glide it in deadstick but didn't make it to the runway. His landing gear were routed deep into the fuselage so when they tore out it ripped apart the fuselage and wings! It was so sad but he was going to put the parts into another balsa build soon afterwords. (Lucky)

mhlau999

@corpse thank you for sharing, I have never flown gas, I have seen plenty of them and they are super cool, something about about starting them like an old model T scares me. I know they have starters today but it still scares me. Thank you for sharing

OliverW

Legendary member
@corpse thank you for sharing, I have never flown gas, I have seen plenty of them and they are super cool, something about about starting them like an old model T scares me. I know they have starters today but it still scares me. Thank you for sharing
Our gas engines are quite reliable nowadays. We use a "chicken stick" so we don't get out hand in the prop to start it. Our GP and DLE engines have never quit on us and run great. We've only ever had one of our GP's quit once actually, and that was because my dad bumped the ignition switch

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I once saw an F3D pylon racer crash onto concrete at practically 90 degrees nose down due to the radio going out and the pilot forgetting to program his failsafe. These planes go about 200 mph. Before that, I thought it was impossible for an airplane to be instantly converted into powder but that's pretty much exactly what happened.

mdcerdan

Elite member
It happend 15 years ago. I was parking my car and a lonenly guy was standing on the runway. He was alone, the first to show up. I think it was a gas Edge 540 he was taking off. 3 seconds later it just dive and buried itself into the ground. I just started the car again and drove back home.