What is Your Go-To, Any Occasion Electric Foamy?

danskis

Master member
My first successful FT plane was the Versa Wing/tractor. That would have to be my go to plane for any condition. If you put the bbq skewers in the right place that plane can take a lot of abuse.

I like to warm up on my epp 24" rainbow wing because you just can't kill it. Very light with surprisingly good wind penetration for a small platform. I flew it today in 15mph winds.

Foam Folder

Cub
5 Cub (2)aa.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
So, I chose the DR1 and Arrowhead as my go-to's because they are fun fliers I can just chuck in the air and mash the sticks, do high alpha, whatever. What I really didn't have was a go-to dedicated trainer or all-arounder. My 1939 P.A. Special and Vulcan are stable and maneuverable, but the 39 is not the best at very slow speeds, neither has a protected prop or LG, and both are 3ch when what I need now is to train 4ch. I made a3ch stick tandem plane recently that was really nice, and I wanted to do a trainer with a twist, so I made a 4ch tandem trainer. My first one with under camber had clunky turns and wing rock, so I reverted to flat plate wings and this one works perfect. I present my new go-to 4ch trainer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
So, I chose the DR1 and Arrowhead as my go-to's because they are fun fliers I can just chuck in the air and mash the sticks, do high alpha, whatever. What I really didn't have was a go-to dedicated trainer or all-arounder. My 1939 P.A. Special and Vulcan are stable and maneuverable, but the 39 is not the best at very slow speeds, neither has a protected prop or LG, and both are 3ch when what I need now is to train 4ch. I made a3ch stick tandem plane recently that was really nice, and I wanted to do a trainer with a twist, so I made a 4ch tandem trainer. My first one with under camber had clunky turns and wing rock, so I reverted to flat plate wings and this one works perfect. I present my new go-to 4ch trainer.

How about some take off and landing as well as touch and goes?

Vimana89

Legendary member
How about some take off and landing as well as touch and goes?
Lands well enough with the gear, and keeps my prop from getting damaged. Those were the main reason I installed it, anything else is bonus. I could probably get a touch and go. I'm skeptical about ground take off from a dirt path, especially since the landing gear isn't perfect, its sort of jury rigged to the motor mount which of course is at a slight angle. It comes in straight in landings, but not sure how well a ground takeoff would do, granted I could get a smooth enough spot to even try.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 you should build a bush plane!
Sounds like it could be a fun project, especially since you can make pretty much anything a bush plane with the right landing gear and some form of STOL capability. Maybe a "bush bipe":unsure:. Alternatively, I could use a somewhat low aspect, but not super slender delta, put some bush tires on it with gear in a way that has the nose at a bit of a high AOA on takeoff, won't even need to mess with something like flaps, that will take right off.

L Edge

Master member
Lands well enough with the gear, and keeps my prop from getting damaged. Those were the main reason I installed it, anything else is bonus. I could probably get a touch and go. I'm skeptical about ground take off from a dirt path, especially since the landing gear isn't perfect, its sort of jury rigged to the motor mount which of course is at a slight angle. It comes in straight in landings, but not sure how well a ground takeoff would do, granted I could get a smooth enough spot to even try.

So why don't you try? Should be a slow lander if flared right. Takeoffs should be short.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
So why don't you try? Should be a slow lander if flared right.
I've already got one good landing on video, I'll practice some more and be sure to share. I will attempt a ground takeoff, worst I can do is lose a prop, although ground takeoff was never really the big goal of putting gear on this one, as I prefer to hand launch in most situations, it was more just for landing and prop protection. Touch and goes? I can try that, comes in slow so it could work.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So why don't you try? Should be a slow lander if flared right. Takeoffs should be short.
Aaaaand you're right🚀👍. you challenged me to try some new stuff, and I was a bit hesitant, but everything went great. The plane took off very short from the ground,has unlimited vertical,and I was able to do a couple crude touch and goes. The hardest part that makes it interesting is the brush, I "Tarzan'ed" a few times aka "watch out for that tree". I guess I'm learning firsthand where all these foliage-battering puns come for naming STOL planes.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
It could be any size, and any type of foam, whether DTFB, Depron, or other fancy hobby grade foam. It could be an FT kit, some other type of retail kit, DTFB scratch plan builds or customs designs, as long as it is foam and electric. "Any occasion" does not necessarily mean any weather, "calm day" fliers are more than welcome if you fly them often enough. The main question is, what is the electric foam plane you are so comfortable with you can just send it any time and fly it well without really trying hard, but is still interesting enough that you thoroughly enjoy the experience? The plane you reach for when you just can't decide which plane to fly and just want to have fun?
Mt FT Bushwhacker...STOL allows for small fields, I can do some barn-burning, or fly it 3D, or just have fun playing in the wind!

quorneng

Master member
My other 'go to' foamy is part 3D printed!
19May18.JPG

Another pod and boom pusher but is the final development of a long line of similar planes. In fact only the motor has remained unchanged.
The pod and pylon are 3D printed (as an experiment) but result in a low drag configuration. The ESC is buried in the pylon with internal ducts for cooling. A 3000 mAh 3s just fits inside the nose with an almost invisible close fitting hatch.
Each elevator half has its own servo fully buried in the tail plane.
The wing has 2mm Depron skins over 3 mm Depron ribs with balsa spar flanges let into the skins.
The aileron servos are 'direct acting' with the inner edge of the aileron glued directly to the servo arm so there is no protruding servo arm or horn and no linkage 'slop'.
DirectServo.JPG

With 350 W available, giving 220 W/lb :eek:, it has unlimited vertical yet can cruise around at slow speed for nearly an hour.
One connection for the ailerons, 2 elastic bands to hold on the wing, install the battery and its ready to go.
With a high mounted prop it is safe to hand launch but can readily self launch on short grass.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
right now for me, the DR1 is my go-to just have fun plane. I think it currently has the most flight time on it over any of my other planes.

Seahunter

Although I have over thirty RC airplanes complete with electronics in my hangar, I think I have enjoyed my little parkzone micro cub the most. With a sack full of batteries in the yard or field next door, it is a joy to fly. I have dozens of hours on it with only a tree incident with it. Simple is best. My Mini Scout or my Simple Scout would be my second choice.

GOPR0152.JPG GOPR0176 (1).JPG P4150213.JPG