What is your REAL job?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
"Mobile first". If I had a share of 1980 Apple stock for every time I heard that during class... lol Funny you posted yesterday as it was graduation day! (Sitting back waiting for the job offers to roll in...not!)

The great thing about being tech/design skilled in the current market is you don't have to limit yourself to jobs you can commute to. Tossing your shingle out for jobs in other cities or at companies you have a connection / affinity to even across the country and thanks to so much focus on working remotely you stand a good chance of getting as much of a serious shot as anyone else. Company I just left was working on changing over job classifications for many positions specifically so they can go after talent in markets with cheaper living expenses rather than paying top dollar in the big tech corridors.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Company I just left was working on changing over job classifications for many positions specifically so they can go after talent in markets with cheaper living expenses rather than paying top dollar in the big tech corridors.
Interesting ... I wonder how that is working for them. When I worked for IBM in Las Vegas to my delight I found we were getting paid at the same scale as employees in Los Angeles which has a much higher cost of living. My boss explained that companies pay according to the cost of labor not the cost of living. It cost them just as much to attract talent in Las Vegas as in Los Angeles.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I am a Field Engineer in the medical industry. I install and maintain MRI and CT scanners. No college degree but I have been going to school my whole life. I started my career way back in the 1970's trained by IBM to service typewriters in the field. Through a constant progression of training opportunities I advanced.

Half of the people I work with have degrees in engineering. The other half got their initial training in the military. I think the field engineers who started out in the military are better prepared. They are taught to get the job done no matter what with whatever resources are available. They have the right aptitude and attitude for field work.

I've been carrying a tool bag my entire life and I love it! :D

Jon

Retired! Yesterday was my last day at work. Working for a living interferes with my play time. From now on every day is Saturday. 😁

Jon