What is your REAL job?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow, I envy you guys having real jobs doing actual useful stuff. I'm wasting my career writing awesome code for a crappy product in the deep blue code mine.

Just think of it as the early preparation for your bid to RULE THE WORLD!!!!! (just don't let big blue steal your soul, first)

Bolvon72

Mentor
I'm a jailer trying to introduce UAV to the departments resources.

2013-02-14 16.33.15.jpg

Johan

Wow, I envy you guys having real jobs doing actual useful stuff. I'm wasting my career writing awesome code for a crappy product in the deep blue code mine.

Well, to be honest, "creating useful stuff" is unfortunately not an all day activity.
Some parts of the day involve pasting crappy MS Word content into a (pick yours) CMS....

So working for your own "privately held company" varies from being the data analyst, system engineer to luxury typist at times.
It includes things you wouldn't be want to be bothered with.. but have to deal with on a day to day basis.
I'd personally would like to loose these kind of customers (ones that can handle their own content challenges), but being the kind of guy that likes to provide the best user experience, I'll just do it even though it does not challenge me personally.

But that is just my personal frustration...

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
I'm a jailer trying to introduce UAV to the departments resources.

View attachment 11688
Holy cow, It's a VW Thing! Haven't seen one of those in years.

Alright, on to my real job. I'm 30 years of age and I've been working on computers since I was 8. Did the whole college thing, majored in network administration, obtained my CCNA and MCSE, entered the "real" job market and hated it. Shortly after, the job market here tanks, I was laid off and unable to find any work in my field. During this downtime, I discovered microcontrollers and my life would never be the same. My pops, being an EE, had just retired and started doing contract work for other small companies here in town. I then made the decision to, more or less, follow in his footsteps, so I became his apprentice and started working with him. Shortly after, we open up our own small electronics repair shop and the rest is history. By far the best life decision I have ever made. :D

tramsgar

Shortly after, we open up our own small electronics repair shop and the rest is history. By far the best life decision I have ever made. :D

Now there's a job with a future, I believe repairs are coming back big time. Maybe not tomorrow, but the day after tomorrow =). Congrats on your career move!

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
I work at a high end car stereo shop. I work on everything from your basic beater honda to half million dollar motor homes. Just to be clear, my shop dosent do crazy fiberglass work, we dont have that kind of customer base. I tend to do a lot of the more interesting/strange work. Shop started out as an upholstry shop back in 1955 but we dont do so much fo that. We do a lot of repair work for the local dealerships, replacing inseat airbags, seat covers, seat heaters, etc. I end up doing a lot of sunroof repair. Seems like every week I am tearing apart some car to fix the sunroof, this last month I've had to fix 3 VW Jetta Sport wagons with the panoramic roof, and a BMW X5.

lotts auto stereo is the place I work at.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
OOH! wanna give me pointers on my Volvo V40 sunroof! Very cool. At one point I had a lot of encouragement from family and friends to go into acoustical engineering because of how well my car stereo sounded. It mostly came from my musical background and needing to listen to my Bach at extreme volumes without distortion. Am I a little jealous? yes... yes I am.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
OOH! wanna give me pointers on my Volvo V40 sunroof! Very cool. At one point I had a lot of encouragement from family and friends to go into acoustical engineering because of how well my car stereo sounded. It mostly came from my musical background and needing to listen to my Bach at extreme volumes without distortion. Am I a little jealous? yes... yes I am.

Id have to see it to figure anything out :p

whats funny is I work at a stereo shop, but am in no way an audiophile :p yet I do most of the sub boxes :D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
whats funny is I work at a stereo shop, but am in no way an audiophile :p yet I do most of the sub boxes :D

I did my own fiberglass sub box for my truck because it's a single cab, and there was no way to get the sub I wanted in there in a regular box. Came out great and sounds even better than it looks. Even did door pods and an amp rack in fiberglass.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Sounds like you had fun making it.

I have a 1983 Ram 50 and with how small the truck is (this first generation was only made as a standard cab) Im building a small 8" box into a custom center console Im making for the truck. Add in a small amp and redo my door pannels and Im all set. Have some good Focal speakers in my doors and Im set.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have a gen 2 Ram, 2001 1500 4x4 off-road Sport edition. I'd love to put Focals in mine but the budget wouldn't allow it so I went with (4)JBL 6x9's, a JL Audio W6v2 12, and Soundstream amps. A 1000w mono for the sub and a 500w 4channel for the 6x9's. Sound deadening throughout the cab so there's a lot of shaking, but no rattles! Here's a couple of pics.
_DSC7545 2.jpg _DSC7548 3.jpg
I don't have any of the the sub and amps handy but I can post them later if you want to see it.

lowfiero

Group Leader at a factory that makes bolts. mostly for Toyota. 2 things that surprise me about my job is. How many bolts does the world really need? we make 100 of 1000's a day there and They gave a entry management job to the long haired hippy looking guy lol. Before this i work at a State mental institution for 15 years.

cgetman02

I'm a multi-trade mechanic at a Target import warehouse. I enjoy the job because of the multi-trade aspect, always something new to learn. Been there for about 6 years and hope to retire there.

On another front I just ordered one of these. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1352

I was looking at servo testers and thought why not learn a little along the way!

I drive a 2000 Ford Lightning and a 2007 Mini Cooper Sidewalk.

Have to get ready for work, good flying all!

Curt aka Crashmaster

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
Instructional designer here (state of California), which has kinda helped me over the years at RCPowers when teaching noobs to fly. Learning is not a spectator sport..

Rubicon

Software developer. I work for a company that sells software and training in the public safety industry. Nothing really exciting.

vk2dxn

Hi All
I am Paul 33 years old.
I am a High Voltage electrician working as part of a maintenance and break down crew for Sydney Trains.
I work on high voltage equipment both AC and DC traction.