What motor do you use?

For planes like the Spitfire, Duster or Racer - what motor did you find worked really well?

I'm not looking for answers like "It depends..." I want to know what you actually used and proved fun and reliable.

For my Racer, the Turnigy 2836/8 works really well. For my Explorer I use a Suppo 2817/8, just 'cause I had it. It's a bit underpowered.

Thanks!
Adrian

Grakon

Beetlebeetle, I go on the cheap side of things. I don't like to stick in a $ 60.00 motor in a $ 4.00 airplane. (Amazon) has cheap motors and I go with the one below it comes with the ESC, mount etc... see the listing it's at a whopping cost of ($ 13.54)

Generica2212 2200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor W/mount 6t + 30a ESC Controller for Drone Rc Quadcopter Multi Copter UFO
This little motor sits in about 4 of my foam airplanes with a 6" or 7" prop. I can fly some of them at 1/2 throttle. The other 7 foam flyers have other $ 12.00 to $ 17.00 motors in them. I try to find the combo deals on Amazon. I have over 40 years in flying experience lots of balsa airplanes with large engines including gas. I also have Axi motors in other balsa electric airplanes but you asked about foam models... Good luck..

jpot1

Elite member
My go to motor for the larger FT planes is the Turnigy d2836/8 1100Kv motor. I use it on the spitfire, racer, ft old sportster and bushwacker.

smithhayward

Large Child
My go to motor for the larger FT planes is the Turnigy d2836/8 1100Kv motor. I use it on the spitfire, racer, ft old sportster and bushwacker.

Hey Jpot1 - do you run that on 3s or 4s with those planes and with what size/pitch prop?

jpot1

Elite member
3s with a 10x6 prop. Building the versa wing now and just posted in that thread to see if the same combo would work. I'm cheap so trying to go with 1 pod across all planes.

I second that choice, I got the smaller D2830/11 1000kv and it needed a metalspinner (have a folding prop) in front and the battery all the way forward on my spit.
As stated above the motor on the power pack C (EMAX GT 2215/09) is also good, with similar price/performance as the D2836/8 1100Kv. I'm all in the cheap cathegory, but opted to keep the pod in all my planes, modding them with hatches. Getting the full "power pack" for each plane.
One advice though, don't do as I have done. If you find a good 30A ESC, keep buying that and don't get different brands. And get a programming card. Having three brands of ESC with different firmware on is not fun.

Last edited:

Coopers87

Hi guys trying to find a motor/esc combo for an ft spitfire, will setup be any good of amazon ?
KEESIN RC 2200KV Brushless Motor 2212-6+ with 30A Brushless ESC Set Accessories Kit Mount for RC Plane Quadcopter Helicopter Aircraft.
Also what batteries would you recommend for this setup if it’s any good.
Cheers lee

kdobson83

I had recently purchased a Racerstar 2830 1300kv motor.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T4DSG5/?tag=lstir-20

I put it on my Explorer with a 9x5 prop on 3s and it has unlimited vertical. The specs say it does about 1100-1200 grams of thrust with that prop and battery which makes it about the same power as the FliteTest beef motor, but it's smaller and lighter and 1/3 the price. It's 8.99 on banggood and about 12 on Amazon. I also got a Racerstar 30a esc which has no bec but it's super tiny. I'm using an external Bec to power my 6 servos on it. All in all, I'm super happy with this motor. 4s capable too.
I get about 30 minute flights with a 2200mah doing full throttle to altitude and soaring back down. About 15 minute flights with normal flying.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I love the Racerstar motors. They are cheap, but the quality appears to be good. I use the Racerstar BR2212 1400kv motors ($4.99) from Banggood with an 8x6 sport electric prop from HobbyKing. I have used this combo on my Spitfire, Mustang and Duster.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I like the Zippy Compact 3S 2200mAh 25C batteries from HobbyKing. I have had really good luck with the Zippy batteries in general.