What multirotor to build next?

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Hey guys!

So I have a Titan tricopter that I've heavily modified into a mini-tri and want another multirotor.

I'm thinking a quadcopter since I already have a tricopter.
I have the wood to scratch build one but I don't know if I should go for a racing quad or a full size quad.
The racing quad would look like the one Josh was flying in the Argonay video.
I want it to be able to carry my GoPro for FPV etc.

Any suggestions on what motors and such to get?
I'm really clueless as to what is out there in the mini-quad market for electronics.

Should I even make a racing quad or should I make a normal quad?

Any input would be appreciated.

C_E

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I can already 3D helis.

I'm trying to decide on a full size quad or a mini quad.

C_E

Last edited:

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Hmmmmm
A hex.
Didn't think of that.
It sounds like it would be a ton of fun.

I want to use a 3s 2200.
What can give me the most flight time?
I get 4 minutes with my current setup, 4.5 if I'm lucky.

C_E

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Well if you can already 3D helis, I'd definitely go for a racing quad. LOS flying a slow multirotor is boring compared to a CP heli (my opinion). A different story for the quads that have the performance of FinalGlideAus, I've seen a few videos from him and it's absolutely different from a CP heli, you can do different kinds of aerobatics (3D if you will) compared to a CP helicopter.

FPV is a different story obviously. If you want to go FPV I guess you can tame down the quad before you actually race the thing.

So it depends what you want to do with it. Reading back my own thoughts, go with a racing quad (with KISS ESCs! :p)
Unless you want a camera ship with gimbal.

ssteve

What frame?
Motors?
ESC's?
etc
etc

C_E

Twitchity hex frame, dys1806 motors, naze32 acro, rtfquads fire red 12a esc's, and genfan 5030 props.

With those props I am very aggressive on the throttle to get it to do what I want, and I just tested out some 6" props that allow me to fly with far less constant throttle inputs so I am thinking it will have a positive effect on flight times. This setup could also easily carry up to a 3300 3s as well.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Thanks for all of the input guys.

Is it just me or would a racing quad cost about the same as a normal quad?

C_E

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The price of parts on a medium sized quad are generally in the same neighborhood (part for part) for a mini-racing quad . . . but from what I've seen you'll pick up slightly nicer parts for the racer for performance, vs. it's a little easier to cut corners on the copter with a bigger weight budget.

I suppose you could cheap out on parts for the racer and gain a small advantage, but after the performance cuts, it's just a mini quad and not a racer . . .

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
That's the best part. You get more fun for the same amount of money. In the end it costs less for breakage and such though.

My thoughts were more along the lines of why pay the same amount for something small when I can go bigger for the same price?

C_E

ssteve

My thoughts were more along the lines of why pay the same amount for something small when I can go bigger for the same price?

C_E

So you would rather pay porsche prices for a school bus?

It all depends on the end goal. For me, a small, agile, fast flying quad that wont destroy itself in a small crash is worth more than a larger quad that's really only good for hovering around and capturing video. Don't get me wrong, I see your point, and I own both, but in doing so I can tell you that the fun per dollar amount is much much higher imo with the smaller quads or hex's. particularly if your flying fpv.

The direct price isn't always reflected in what you see on your initial purchase either. Bigger means heavier, which means bigger batteries, more expensive props, harder crashes etc.