What multirotor to build next?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
In general and in my opinion, small, light copters built with quality parts are less expensive over time than larger copters or copters built with cheap parts.

Small, high kv motors vibrate less than large, low kv motors and use shorter, less expensive rotors that also tend to vibrate less than longer rotors.

Light copters break less than heavy copters. Chaos taught us about large acro copters with The Beast 666.

Earhog teaches us about light acro quads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKUevXyzf88

My favorite today is the Twitchity Hex.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...build&highlight=cranialrectosis+twitchity+hex

I have flown a 3000 mAh lipo with it and it did just fine. This copter has thrust-a-plenty when you put 2204s on it and run HQ 6030 or 6045 rotors.

Of course, I srtipped mine down to < 398 grams + lipo to get the MOST power to weight and the thing hovers at <> 25% throttle. It is an acro monster, comparable to a WarpQuad, it can flip roll and haul @$$.

I smashed my Polakium hex and am rebuilding it today. It broke in part because I was flying a heavy as heck 1800 mAh 4S lipo when I muffed a flip.http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-build&highlight=cranialrectosis+polakium+hex

In similar crashes the Warpquad might stick in the ground but other than needing to clean the sand out of the motors, you aren't going to harm a Warpquad. The Twitchity frame made a kind of 'booiinnnggg' sound and I had two broken rotors and two motors full of sand. No damage to the frame.

You can tame the Twitchity Hex with 1806 motors and 5" rotors or you can turn it into a rocket to Mars with Cobra 1960kv motors running 6" rotors on 4S. Don't expect to lift an SLR but FPV gear and a Mobius are no problem with the proper 'beef'.

No other multirotor on earth flips quite like a WarpQuad, but if you want the ability to go fast and carry some gear with a lightweight, tough kit, the Twitchity Hex is a pretty versatile frame.

Last edited:

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Thank you to everyone and their input so far.

I think I am going to go with 3 multirotors.

A full size tri with 11 inch props.
A full size quad with 8 inch props.
And a mini quad/hex.

Still deciding. A hex seems like it would be cool but a quad would be much easier to scratch build.
I want it to carry my GoPro and my FPV gear too.

C_E

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Thank you to everyone and their input so far.

I think I am going to go with 3 multirotors.

A full size tri with 11 inch props.
A full size quad with 8 inch props.
And a mini quad/hex.

Still deciding. A hex seems like it would be cool but a quad would be much easier to scratch build.
I want it to carry my GoPro and my FPV gear too.

C_E

For a mini, think Mobius Action cam. It's cheaper, smaller, lighter and easier to mount.

I built a 'tweener before I went to minis. I built a Knuckle H quad but cut the center rails down to 8" and left the booms at 10". Then I moved the center rails in so that they are tight together and form one center rail upon which the upper and lower plates sit. The ESCs are mashed in between the plates to keep as much weight in the center of the copter as possible.

I run Suppo 1450 kv motors and 8045 rotors and a KK2.0 board. I have 1/2" clearance between the front and rear rotors and am 300mm diagonally from the center hub of motor 1 to the hub of motor 3.

It's cheap. It yaws almost as well as my Batbone and has power for a 2200 mAh lipo and a gopro.

The plans for the Knuckle H quad are online and should make for a nice scratch build.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
For a mini, think Mobius Action cam. It's cheaper, smaller, lighter and easier to mount.

I will use my GoPro(s).
I have no need for an inferior camera.
:p

I run Suppo 1450 kv motors and 8045 rotors and a KK2.0 board. I have 1/2" clearance between the front and rear rotors and am 300mm diagonally from the center hub of motor 1 to the hub of motor 3.

The plans for the Knuckle H quad are online and should make for a nice scratch build.

I have that exact same setup but in the tricopter form right now.
Same motors, same clearance.
I will take it apart to make a quadcopter.

C_E

ssteve

I will use my GoPro(s).
I have no need for an inferior camera.
:p

C_E

If you put it on a mini quad you'll have a inferior mini quad. Build the hex if you wanna lug around the gopro and vtx. My hex on 6" props would t skip a beat with a gopro, but my 250 quad on 5" props(I can't fit 6") feels real sluggish.

I run the sj4000 cause it fits in gopro cases, gimbals, mounts etc, but it weighs less and it's a lot cheaper. I've broke two gopro's and four sj4000's now. The sj4000's still work for capturing video, the rear screen is just broken.. The gopro's are just dead. Imo the mini quad is more about the experience than arial videography, so I reserve the gopro for stuff that won't risk it.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've got to agree with ssteve here. I've been running the Mobius as my recording camera and I'm just as pleased with the results it not more, than what I was getting with my GoPro. The edited video settings that BMSWeb posted helped a lot.

This is some pre-dawn footage I shot with it on my FPV250.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Extra weight on a mini quad is noticeable. The lighter the copter the more it is felt. Yes you can still fly with a GoPro on a 250 miniquad (many do) but the difference is very noticeable. Once you move up to a hex then it is less noticeable but the downside is that a hex won't be as agile as a quad. As is always the case in aviation, you never get something for free.

One other VERY important point to consider when using cameras on quads is scratching, breaking, destroying or loosing them. I have a GoPro that I would love to put on my mini quads but I don't because all of a sudden I won't fly as hard or fast or extreme as I do with my Mobius on there. I can handle killing the odd Mobius (I have a dead one next to the computer right now and that's why I'm not posting videos atm) but killing GoPro's would got old very quick for me. Put it this way, what ever you launch up into the sky, you will destroy at some point. It's a given. The more hours you spend up there the more likely it will happen right then. The only way to make sure it doesn't happen is not to send it up there. If you're prepared to risk a GoPro each time you launch then that's fine but know the dangers.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I have decided that I will build a hex.
That way, I could have a tri, a quad, and a hex.

I have spent thousands on GoPros and don't want to deal with another camera.
I am more than willing to risk breaking them etc.

What frame would be good?
Could I scratch build my own?

C_E

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Make sure the next GoPro you buy is the last one you pay for… buy it from BestBuy and get the insurance. From what I've been reading (and according to the FT guys) they just swap out your busted one for a new one.

ssteve

I have decided that I will build a hex.
That way, I could have a tri, a quad, and a hex.

What frame would be good?
Could I scratch build my own?

C_E

Looking for a acro/small hex? Or a larger hex for simple arial video? The twitch hex is a awesome little acro hex that would have no problem carrying a gopro

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
So I have the Tricopter flying.
Just needs a lot of tuning.

Also, I built the Knuckle H Quad.
It's 300mm from corner to corner.
8 inch props with a clearance of .25" between each.
I'm figuring out how to mount the GoPro on it.
I just need to order 1 motor, 3 ESC's, a KK board, and a power distribution board for it.
My cart at Altitude Hobbies is at $130 with props and everything.

I'm debating if I even need an even smaller craft.
It costs just as much as a full size quad/hex.
6 x $15 motors + 6 x $10 ESC's is already $150 without anything else considered.
Plus another $40 for the KK2 and then the RX and cables and such.

Is it really worth it?

C_E

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Make sure the next GoPro you buy is the last one you pay for… buy it from BestBuy and get the insurance. From what I've been reading (and according to the FT guys) they just swap out your busted one for a new one.

How much is their insurance?

I buy it from a different retailer that has the same coverage.
$60 for 3 years.
No questions asked replacement.

C_E

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Is it really worth it?

C_E

That's a question only you can answer. If you're hesitating, why don't you have fun with the tri and quad you have now, and find out if you need more later? There is no reason to buy it now if you don't feel you need it.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
That's a question only you can answer. If you're hesitating, why don't you have fun with the tri and quad you have now, and find out if you need more later? There is no reason to buy it now if you don't feel you need it.

I think you're right.
I'll hold off on it.

But a 250 quad isn't much smaller than a 300 quad, is it?
The only thing would be that the props stick out more, right?

C_E

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer