WHAT SHOUD I DO???

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
Hi all, I am totally torn between building a spider quad (flitetest of course) or buying a radian so i don't have to keep flying my instructors beat up one. He has no issue with me flying it as he rarely flies it himself. I bought a used flitetest tri for myself at christmas but it turned out to be a mild piece of crap so i was able to salvage the three dt-750s, two 18a escs, some led strips, and a delrin body. I really want to start over and build a electrohub spider quad but am still thinking about that radian. Thanks, James

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What kind of flying do you prefer? That's two very different styles. One is sedate, and relaxing, and the other can be very aerobatic, and mentally taxing.

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
Thats the dilemma, I prefer either. The only difference is that I don't need to solo to fly the quad as it could be flown in my back yard. I just really like both and eventually want to get into fpv so I was considering the quad more than the radian. Thanks, James

ssteve

If it was between those two things I would for sure say build a quad. But there's other options like a wing. Wings are great for fpv, can be flown relatively slow as well as pretty quick, it's cheap, durable, easy to repair, the list goes on.

Splatwillicrash

Tough choice

Flying Monkey is right, two different beasts altogether. I am known as a Radian Fan, I love flying my multirotors too. I think SSteve has it right, build your electrohub multi. The Radian is there for you when you need it for now, and you could always get the UMX radian later to get your glider fix.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
If you have a transmitter that will allow you to store different models, go with both. Because sometimes you feel like an acro nut and sometimes you don't. :)

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
I also posted this on the fixed wing forum and got some advice there as well although there are better ideas here. I think I am going to get the cheap hobby king 250 size quad for now and a micro radian. Anyone have any knowledge of the quads quality? Ive heard mixed reviews on it and am unsure about it. Im not sure if Chris or Wayne would have any input about it but I do know that they both own one. Thanks, James

ssteve

I own two. I would order two frames, they are cheap enough and it's nice to have extra parts and a extra frame laying around. Get some dys1806 motors from HK while your ordering and then some simonk 12a esc's from somewhere else and you'll be golden. I've been flying that setup with a guy who flies a really nice blackout, and he's been very impressed with its durability and performance for how much I have into it. It's a $16 frame so it's obviously not going to be the quality of a blackout or qav250, but it's about a tenth the cost.. Which is awesome cause you won't have the same reservations you would on a higher end quad when you take chances with it.