WHAT SHOULD I DO????

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
Hi all, I am totally torn between building a spider quad (flitetest of course) or buying a radian so i don't have to keep flying my instructors beat up one. He has no issue with me flying it as he rarely flies it himself. I bought a used flitetest tri for myself at christmas but it turned out to be a mild piece of crap so i was able to salvage the three dt-750s, two 18a escs, some led strips, and a delrin body. I really want to start over and build a electrohub spider quad but am still thinking about that radian. Thanks, James

RoyBro

Mentor
Well, you could mix it up a bit and get the UMX Radian that the Flite Test guys have been raving about. That way you aren't duplicating something you're already flying, and you save almost half of what a new full size Radian costs. Then it won't be long saving up to start your quad build. Just a thought.

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
Actually, thats an avenue I had not considered and it sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks!

earthsciteach

Your choice is very polar in nature!

Where does you interest lie? Would you rather explore fixed wing more? Would you rather delve into multi-rotors?

There is an entire world of fixed winged aircraft beyond the Radian, which is a great platform. The UMX as mentioned above is a total sweetheart of an airplane, but might seem limited compared to the full size you have been flying.

Multirotors are really a different universe in terms of flight. They are unforgiving by nature, more needy in terms of setup, but totally addictive and fun.

Take a day or two and think about what really appeals to you at this time in terms of cost, performance and comfort level. If you can work that out, the recommendations will be easy.

vwbusman

Distracted by flight
I think I am going to go with earthscienceteach's advice and wait for the storch to come out. It seems like a really good plane overall and should fly well with an underpropped dt-750 power pod. Thanks for all the advice guys! Thanks, James