What should perform better, a V-tail or A-tail?

westers47

I am looking to convert a mini quad to an A-tail or V-tail. Probably will use a ZMR frame since they are so cheap.

I have heard an A-tail performs better in fixed wing applications but would this possibly carry over to multirotors?

Below is an example of both.

V-tail
vtail258.jpg

A-tail
v-tail-still002-jpg_1373302910.jpg

V-tail seems most common but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

I am leaning towards an A-tail but I would like to hear other peoples input.

Flat4

The only major difference I can think of is that an A-tail may throw a bit of dirty air under the opposing tail rotor. How much that will affect the flight of the craft? Couldn't tell ya. Also depending on the angle of the rear booms it may not even cause that.

I would think both an A and V will give the same benefits and drawbacks, mainly being increased yaw authority at the cost of efficiency. That, and cool factor. :cool:

Outside of that I can really see any major difference between the two, though I'm no expect on either configuration. Looking forward to what others add.

jipp

id go with A-tail just because i know if it was me id be taking out a prop ( or worse. evil sand... the magnets would be like oh yeah come here.. heh ) each time i came to land. :D but id also think prop wash would be trouble for landing anyhow? even if im partiality joking with my reason for going with a A-tail.

chris.

Last edited:

RGJameson

vtail258.jpg

A pain in the neck for grass. You'll pretty much be mowing the lawn with every landing and more of a chance of breaking props.

jipp

that was my first thought, but i only have rocks for grass as i live in the desert..

chris.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
A V would probably have a better because the air underneath the quad won't dirty up as much. The A will give better pitch authority, but I don't think that the extra advantage will be worth the loss in yaw.