What up from the frigid north!

Tminak

Hey all, I have sorta been lurking this past week but didnt want to introduce myself before picking out a plane (which I have!). My name is Tyler and I am from south central alaska and flying in one sense or another is sort of the way of life up here. I work in aviation for a Cargo Airline and I often fly out to the remote villages for work. So I get to sorta feel cool as a member of a flight crew but I decided I want to fly gosh Darnit! Well RC is the next best thing and I spent a month figuring out what kind of Trainer I wanted and ended up with a Sport Cub S with S.A.F.E. Just to be.. um.. safe! I have yet to fly it but will give my first impressions later on! Glad to be apart of the group!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums! :applause:

That should be a great plane to learn on, but don't be discouraged if you crash a couple times (or a couple times per day :black_eyed: ). Foam planes go back together just fine with a little hot glue and toothpicks, and before you know it you'll be itching to start building 'em yourself!

Tminak

Hey man thanks! Yeah I am expecting the crashes and am thinking it might be a good idea to bring my glue gun and inverter for my truck when I go fly!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You can also get a baby hot glue gun for about $9 that will run on a 3 cell battery that is handy for field use. Not so good for long runs of glue building wings, but perfectly usable to put noses back on :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Howdy Tyler.
Thank you for introducing yourself. We will look forward to your posts.

Welcome to the forum.
-Jim

Tminak

I got the Cub out this afternoon and it was a blast. There was some hardpack snow in this cle aring by the house that I was able to use as a landing strip. Didnt need much room to take off. I kept it in beginners mode and still managed to get it spun out when a wing tip dipped to low. Was able to get it to hover for a few seconds before it wanted to go again. Super fun but even with my 3 batteries I was only able to get about a minute and a half of flight time each. As a reference it is currently 7 degress out and it was a little colder earlier. One of my local flight clups in the next town over does an indoor fly in so I may go to those until it warms up. Had such a blast!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Wow, sounds like a great start, pretty soon you will be flying 3d. I started reading a series of books to work on my flying skills and precision aerobatics. These books can really help you gain a perspective when trying to get proficient. Flight training books

They are a bit expensive, but really nice books that are heavy duty and I have gained a lot of skills from using them.