Help! Whats the difference between 4in1 and cc2500?

RossFPV

Im interested in the new radiomaster boxer and i dont know the difference between 4in1 and cc2500. I also would like to know if i could use flysky receivers with the boxer, thanks!

joelspangler

Sorry, but the above post is wrong. ELRS and CC2500 are not the same.

With a cc2500, you'd be able to connect to a limited number of rc receivers - specifically ones made by (Frsky, S-FHSS, Radiolink, Graupner HoTT, Corona, and Hitec). (Possibly some others, but not a super extensive list)

With the 4-in-1, one of the 4 is a cc2500. The others are NRF24L01, A7105 and CYRF6936. The 4-in-1 will allow you to make your transmitter work with A LOT more rc receivers, including most of the ones that Bind and Fly (which are often DSMX) and RC Toys use. With a 4-in-1, you have one transmitter to rule them all. In my opinion it's very worth the extra ~20-30 bucks to get a transmitter with a 4-in-1 module. There's a pretty good list of the protocols a 4-in-1 transmitter can talk to here - DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/Protocols_Details.md at master · pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module · GitHub Edit - since you specifically asked about flysky, that protocol uses the A7105 chip, so the 4-in-1 would work for you.

ELRS is one of the "New Generation" protocols that have lower latency and transmit 5-10x further. It's pretty amazing, but thus far not widely adopted yet. These transmitters/receivers have extra modern functionality like bluetooth and sometimes wifi, and you'd likley use your phone for configuration. I don't have any ELRS stuff yet, but from what I've seen, you set up a binding passphrase instead of holding buttons, etc like the traditional receivers. The price on the ELRS receivers is really agreeable, but you'd lose out on having the one transmitter to rule them all, if you want to use it for bind and fly models, or use it for other toys.

My main transmitter is a 4-in-1, and I'm considering getting a ELRS module to plug into the bottom bay to play with it, and because it might be the most affordable way to expand my fleet (at last as far as the price of receivers go)

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
@joelspangler - thank you very much for clearing that up as the shop employees I've talked to don't really know the difference between the chips or can't elaborate the difference.

And yes, the 4 in 1 is definitely the way to go.

The only downside to the 4 in 1 is that sometimes its hard to figure out what protocol to use.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Cc2500 has native ELRS support
4-in-1 will support most protocols except ELRS
no the CC2500 does not have ELRS support.

the 4:1 will do just about any legacy protocol, the CC2500 does D8 (plus other stuff that uses that chip, but D8/D16 are the big ones used today)

ELRS uses a different chip.

Bricks

Master member
Just get a Radiomaster TX16s Mark 2 and it will have everything already in it no extra module needed. I just added the Express LRS module to my TX16s and am playing around with it.

RossFPV

Just get a Radiomaster TX16s Mark 2 and it will have everything already in it no extra module needed. I just added the Express LRS module to my TX16s and am playing around with it.
Well Im actually 15 so i dont have a job and i actually dont even have the money for the radiomaster boxer yet. From what i read about the boxer it has 4in1 and i think it has almost everything the TX16 does.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
I am on the fence between the ELRS version and the 4-in-1 version. I am moving away from the legacy protocols and diving pretty heavily in to ELRS so it should be an obvious choice.

But someone had a good point. ELRS is still in it's infancy and all the hardware is brand new. The built in ELRS module in the Boxer could be outdated within months, but the 4-in-1 really isn't going to see much improvement in the foreseeable future and will let me use the stack of old receivers I have.

I do not want the TX16S.

Bricks

Master member
Well Im actually 15 so i dont have a job and i actually dont even have the money for the radiomaster boxer yet. From what i read about the boxer it has 4in1 and i think it has almost everything the TX16 does.

If you want you can keep an eye out here https://www.rcgroups.com/classifieds-201/ and get much more for less. I have purchased a bunch of stuff off of here. It may take a while for what you are looking for comes up at a price one is willing to pay.