Why do you think multicoptors are atrative/intresting for new people to the RC hobby?

jipp

i was watching bruce latest video, or his rc news.. and he talked about how much work is going into his mini quad build.. and yet how popular it has become.. which made me think of my brother in laws first impression of a MR.

and his first impression was how cool it was to hover. bruce is organizing a quad racing event to get new people into the hobby etc and how fast its growing and how big it could be. Its pretty easy to see the multirotor part of this hobby is growing fast.. you can just look at the supply and demand of certain popular products for quads, or sold as such..

what are you thoughts on this?

i can say for me.. i like the challenge, and its just fun.. but to me it was teh AP that originally caught my attention.. my brother in laws it was hovering. heh. i think hovering is cool too.. so i see his point.

chris.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Ease of flying compared to an airplane, flight controller. Ease of building compared to an airplane, two sticks and some wire. Still like airplanes better :)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I'd have to say FPV is what had and still has the largest interest for me. Building from scratch was and still is just a cheap way to achieve it. Plus building your own offers the ability to do stuff not readily available in the market place, such as ultra bright lights, oscillating lasers, etc.

jipp

yeah, i mention FPV and he liked that idea. me im not so sure yet. also for me it had to do where i can fly the most where i live.. flying a plane here would be hard ( well i can limp my way to down the road, 10 min walk and id be ok.. forgot about that.. because i do not walk so well limping out my back door to practice is very good for my broken body.. but i will be walking to the desert to practice as ill need the open range to really get good at the quad ). where i can fly the quad low to the ground and around..

easy to fly? i wish i had your skill then.. its taking a lot of practice for me to get sorta good with my blade nano. flying a plane on the other hand is much easier because of a glide slope.. i have notice the quad has made me learn to use throttle/rudder.
chris.

chris.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
My guess would be simplicity. Traditional heli's have lots of complex bits and bobs to deal with that are nearly impossible to fix when broken, but a quad really only has its four motors. That's it for moving parts. It's not as easy to brake, and they look cool.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
For me it was the concept of autonomous flight and AP. Most of all though, it was simply the looks of a multirotor in the air. Some people believe that multirotors are ugly, but I've always viewed them as beautiful pieces of flying machinery. In comparison, planes, although very enjoyable, look a lot less techy, which is what the current generation is into.

Right now I'm really getting interested in FPV mini quads because of the idea that I can fly in and around anything (safely of course) giving a large sense of adventure.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Eh, my planes are still my favorite. Planes fly because they are beautiful pieces of aerodynamic art, and I'll always appreciate them for that. You always have to work with the air and play with certain exploits to get the perfect maneuver down, so that's why I like them.