Wings Simulator a disappointment

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have never done this before, but I need to tell you about my disappointment with the Wings Simulator. I believe I just wasted my money. That is something I did not really wanted to say. No product wants to hear about negative reviews. Wings wants you to see if your computer can handle the programming. I understand that. There is a link you need to download but there is no instructions on how to use this link. so you still are not sure if your computer can handle the program. If you are a computer rookie , how do you get this program to run ? I also sent Wings support a question but I believe they have a problem receiving questions. Right now no answer from them. It also seems like you need to be connected to the internet to fly. That is one of the questions that I asked. The real problem is that it takes forever to get a flying site to download. And if you do get to a site to download you can not get the plane you want . :unsure: My computer just sits there. If you want to use Wings it seems like you need to be a computer pro. The computer that I have used can run Realflite 9.0. Right now you are thinking if you have RF 9 , why do you want Wings ? FPV flight. Any thoughts ? Waste of money ? Does Wings really have a support line ? :unsure:

Thanks for any help,

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Hi Everyone,

I have never done this before, but I need to tell you about my disappointment with the Wings Simulator. I believe I just wasted my money. That is something I did not really wanted to say. No product wants to hear about negative reviews. Wings wants you to see if your computer can handle the programming. I understand that. There is a link you need to download but there is no instructions on how to use this link. so you still are not sure if your computer can handle the program. If you are a computer rookie , how do you get this program to run ? I also sent Wings support a question but I believe they have a problem receiving questions. Right now no answer from them. It also seems like you need to be connected to the internet to fly. That is one of the questions that I asked. The real problem is that it takes forever to get a flying site to download. And if you do get to a site to download you can not get the plane you want . :unsure: My computer just sits there. If you want to use Wings it seems like you need to be a computer pro. The computer that I have used can run Realflite 9.0. Right now you are thinking if you have RF 9 , why do you want Wings ? FPV flight. Any thoughts ? Waste of money ? Does Wings really have a support line ? :unsure:

Thanks for any help,
I know wings has a discord were you can get help -> https://discord.gg/8JhCpQad (good for 7 days, straight to the tech help section)
did you download the FPS checker and run it? (it is a zip file, you unzip it, then double click on the executable were you unzipped it - this really is fairly basic computer stuff, not "computer PRO" stuff)

I have wings and it works fairly well, even on my "older" hardware, however I will say for a few of the maps, there are a few things that could be better optimized (even talked with the devs about that, but doing so would change the maps and break the race courses, so at that time nothing was going to be done, but newer maps worked much better)

the "need to be connected to the internet" is probably 2 things -> account verification and online play -> the game is setup so you can play with people.

Also, I would suggest putting your questions into bullet points or separate paragraphs the run-on thought dump makes it hard to figure out what questions you actually have.

alan0043

I know wings has a discord were you can get help -> https://discord.gg/8JhCpQad (good for 7 days, straight to the tech help section)
did you download the FPS checker and run it? (it is a zip file, you unzip it, then double click on the executable were you unzipped it - this really is fairly basic computer stuff, not "computer PRO" stuff)

I have wings and it works fairly well, even on my "older" hardware, however I will say for a few of the maps, there are a few things that could be better optimized (even talked with the devs about that, but doing so would change the maps and break the race courses, so at that time nothing was going to be done, but newer maps worked much better)

the "need to be connected to the internet" is probably 2 things -> account verification and online play -> the game is setup so you can play with people.

Also, I would suggest putting your questions into bullet points or separate paragraphs the run-on thought dump makes it hard to figure out what questions you actually have.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your help. I like your idea about putting my concerns in bullet points. I never thought about that idea. That does make sense.

I was able to download the FPS checker and unzip the files. But that is a far as I could go. I don't understand how to use the unzipped files. The unzipped files are still in my download folder.

* How do I get the unzipped files to work ?
* Can you give me the steps I need to make these files work ?

I can use all help you can give me, Thank You again for your help. Al

JasonK

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your help. I like your idea about putting my concerns in bullet points. I never thought about that idea. That does make sense.

I was able to download the FPS checker and unzip the files. But that is a far as I could go. I don't understand how to use the unzipped files. The unzipped files are still in my download folder.

* How do I get the unzipped files to work ?
* Can you give me the steps I need to make these files work ?

I can use all help you can give me, Thank You again for your help. Al
you unzip the files to a directory, then open that directory and double click on the wings executable file and it will run.

when you open the directory were you unzipped the files, you should see something roughly like this (I am on Linux, so the .x86_64 will either end in .exe or won't show an extension at all for you and might have the wings icon vs the generic one you see here) .

You just double click on the file that says Wings (or something to that effect) and then it will run.

1711636697095.png

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any help,
Alan, Wings is a fraction of the price of RealFlight. And, you can dial back the computer resources required to drive Wings. Do you have a graphics accelerator in your computer? Are you using a PC (Windows based)?

alan0043

Thank You Jason. I will report back later today how things went. Thank You again.
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your help. I was able to run run the FPS checker. I saw a number running in the lower right hand corner. The number was going as low as 9 and as high as 24. The number was running around the mid teens as an average. I don't believe my labtop with windows can run the wings program.

Thank you again for your help,
Al

alan0043

Alan, Wings is a fraction of the price of RealFlight. And, you can dial back the computer resources required to drive Wings. Do you have a graphics accelerator in your computer? Are you using a PC (Windows based)?
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your help. In the above post I reported the numbers running in the lower right hand corner running the FPS checker. I have the program on a labtop running windows 10. I have no idea about the graphic accelerator in my labtop.

But to let you know about the numbers in the lower right hand corner with out having to read the post above. I was as low as 9 and as high of 24. I would probably say I was run in the mid teens as an average. I believe I need a different labtop to run Wings.

Thank you for your help,
Al

JasonK

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your help. I was able to run run the FPS checker. I saw a number running in the lower right hand corner. The number was going as low as 9 and as high as 24. The number was running around the mid teens as an average. I don't believe my labtop with windows can run the wings program.

Thank you again for your help,
Al
IIRC it has ways to change the settings, but if that is what you got on low, then I agree, your laptop is insufficient for the program (I can't run it on max setting on my computer either) - I would say you want at least 30fps (or only very rare dips below that) for a pleasant experience