X9d repowering

Pilot_35

I have an x9d special edition it a great transmitter but the battery does not last that long. So I want to upgrade it with a LiFe battery because they are more stable than a lipo. I also have a dm9 specktrum module and is operating voltage is 3.5-9v and I know the x9d operating voltage is smaller and higher rage that my dm9 module. I can’t seem to find much retailers that sell LiFe batteries. Does anyone know where I could buy a LiFe battery that volts are betweeen 3.5-9v?
Thanks

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I use a 3S LiFE pack on mine, but fully charged, they may be a bit too hot for your dm9. 2S LiFE will probably be fine, but you'll lose the bottom end of the pack -- you may brown out with a safe amount of charge left. There really isn't anything in between with the same chemistry.

Best overlap I can see is a 2S Lipo, running between 8.4 and 6.6v (although you'll probably want to swap/recharge around 7.0-7.2v). Find one that fits the compartment, and it should work.

Pilot_35

I wanted to stay away from Lipo because I would not be able to leave it for long periods of time and they are much more unstable.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I understand the desire, but the physics says "no".

Battery voltage ranges are fixed to the chemistry, and we can only double or triple it by putting cells in series. As much as we may want to, you can't have a 2.5S pack.

You can go 2S LiFe, and the top end of the voltage will be fine, but you will have to live with the reduced capacity and set your critical voltage warnings around 6.4ish volts (radio is rated to 6v, and with the linear regulators I know are inside, I'd not push it), where the pack can function safely down to 5v.

Your call.

Pilot_35

I think I will try the 2 cell Life but do you know where to buy one that will fit in the x9d compartment? I have not been able to find one yet.

Pilot_35

Looking on horizon hobby the have Life pack 2s 6.6v take a look at these tell me if you think they would work?