York Model Aviators near Dover, PA (I joined a club!)

earthsciteach

I've been in this vortex of a hobby for a little over 5 years but had never joined a club until last week. The stereotypical image of the "Grumpy Old Mens Club" that seems to be all-to-common given the number of complaints posted on these interwebs convinced me that I had no need for a club. I was content flying in the small field behind my house or with friends and students on school grounds or local parks. But, as time went by and I progressed in the hobby, friends moved away, some became busy in other things and I found myself flying alone, which became kind of boring. My stable of planes has come to include some that I won't fly out back because of their size.

Earlier this summer, I was contacted by the brother-in-law of a good friend, stating that he was involved in the inception of a new club. He explained the motivation of those who were leaving other clubs and their philosophy behind their vision of this club. I went out to the brand new field a few weeks ago at the invitation of Grant (friend's bro-in-law) and also met Jerry, the president of the new club. They talked about how this club was going to be family oriented and how programs could be developed to bring new people, particularly kids, into the hobby. They see the value of this hobby in terms of inspiring and growing the minds of future engineers, pilots, mechanics, etc. (If you want to see this at its finest, check out the Cri Cri build that was managed by Keegan Sponholz (akimbogluguns) at FTFF 2015. I also met the farmer who owns the property, who is a hoot and a really good guy. The icing on the cake was his invitation to any members to fish his pond. I was sold! Oh - he raises long-horn cattle on the farm. Talk about photo ops!

Yesterday (Aug 12) was the first time I was able to get out to the field and fly. As such, I chose to take 3 airplanes that would draw the scoffs and jeers of any elitists: My Wing Surfer (Sky Surfer/Bixler) with the nose of a boxer, Tommy's Guppy and my Dirty Bird. (I really need to do a build thread on the DB.) They all fly great, but would not be allowed to dine at a 5 star restaurant, if you know what I mean. No one batted an eyelash.

There have been a number of HUGE improvements since I was last at the field. The only structure on my first visit was a wind sock. To date, several airplane benches, 2 large pilot stations and one very impressive solar powered battery charging station/storage cart have been added. And these are NICE!

To shorten this up, I had a great time flying yesterday! I met another guy, Dave, who is a sailplane lover. I'm outfitting a little balsa glider I've had for a while at the moment. There is a picnic this Sunday (Aug 16) and I'm really looking forward to meeting more club members. If you live in the York, PA area and are looking for a club with very positive attitudes, I hope you will check out York Model Aviators! https://www.facebook.com/groups/846262668775422/

offaxis

Do they have major events planned? I live to far away to go there on a regular basis but would love to make the occasional trip for the larger events.

That charging station looks sweet.

earthsciteach

There is a picnic this Sunday from 11:00 am. Chow time is at 5:00, talk of night flying after dark. I'll probably get there around 1:00 to 2:00. I don't know of any events beyond that, yet. I'd like to organize combat and general silliness with cheap airplanes.

ViperTech

Well teach good to hear you joined a club! Funny thing is I just heard about the club last week and its 7 miles from my house! I am currently a member of York area radio control club. I want to visit this club for sure! It would be closer to go flying. I might have to stop over and visit this weekend!

earthsciteach

Stop out Sunday afternoon and look me up! I'll prob be wearing a Flite Test T. They make up about 1/2 my wardrobe. LOL!

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
whoa whoa whoa. is the Dirty Bird made out of foam board??. my father has the old Bridi Dirty Bird in his basement. haven't flown it yet, as it needs a new receiver battery, but i am told it flys amazing.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
PATRICK! You went to the dark side with all this club nonsense! Just kidding :p , I'm in the same boat and looking to join a local club. I think I found one that is open minded about flying anything and everything. I just need to find the time to reach out to them and visit the field when members are there. Have fun this weekend!!

earthsciteach

whoa whoa whoa. is the Dirty Bird made out of foam board??. my father has the old Bridi Dirty Bird in his basement. haven't flown it yet, as it needs a new receiver battery, but i am told it flys amazing.

Ummm… There's another Dirty Bird? Mine is a pod and boom style plane that I built for fpv. I built it quick and dirty, hence the name.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Ummm… There's another Dirty Bird? Mine is a pod and boom style plane that I built for fpv. I built it quick and dirty, hence the name.
yes, the old Dirty Birdy, designed by the great Joe Bridi. lately i have been looking for plans for a foam board one, so i got really excited when you said you had a Dirty Bird here is a picture of my father's: IMG_3294.JPG