FF15 Question Thread

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jippz,

Can't answer the preferred parking/camping (I think I know the answer, but I'll let Austin break the bad news) but as for the "build", we will have "large group project" accommodations in the main build area -- look for details about that coming shortly.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Super excited to meet everyone from FT and the community. I wasn't able to attend last year but I am planning to make it out this year. I've got the time off work and my wife is on board with me participating.

Can anyone tell me how the charging stations worked last year? Will they be the same this year? Should I plan to bring my own charger? Was there any 'buddying up' in hotels and car rentals last year? I'll be flying in from California and am hesitant to rent a car for such limited use.

Also any tips from others who flew in last year would be welcome. What did you bring that others flying in might not realize is a good idea to bring? What did you leave at home but wish you had brought? Did you bring your planes in a big crate or build everything on site?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nic,
Which airport are you flying into?

Austin,
Where can I find details about recommended hotels and things like that?

Last edited:

abieex

Mentor
Nic, I live locally. Send me a PM and we will chat. CAK (akron-canton) is very close to the event. I can help you with hotels and can pick you up with no problem. A wally mart pup tent might make more sense as there are showers avail at the event. Hope this helps!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nic,

I *HOPE* the charging stations won't work the same as last year. AC power strips, but not enough sockets, frequently tripped breaker, and at least one instance of somebody burning out someone else's charger.

From everything I've heard, yes we'll be having something, but not sure how the plans are shaping out yet -- still have time to plan.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
@CraftyDan How many charging stations were there / do you think you'll need? I've seen charging stations set up by mobile companies on big events. I wonder if a big company could be interested in providing a setup like that for RC events.

They'd need to make sure that everything is safe of course and have some kind of mechanism to make sure you get the right battery back after it's charged.

Jippz

Jippz,

Can't answer the preferred parking/camping (I think I know the answer, but I'll let Austin break the bad news) but as for the "build", we will have "large group project" accommodations in the main build area -- look for details about that coming shortly.

Thanks for the info Craftydan!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
@CraftyDan How many charging stations were there / do you think you'll need? I've seen charging stations set up by mobile companies on big events. I wonder if a big company could be interested in providing a setup like that for RC events.

They'd need to make sure that everything is safe of course and have some kind of mechanism to make sure you get the right battery back after it's charged.

There is one "Area" with many plugs, with probably an 8' table. I haven't gotten the latest on the power situation, but in past discussions getting an industrial generator and hiring an electrician for the setup and maintenance has been tossed around, as has improved local cell service, but no idea what will/will not be implemented.

As far as how, it's pretty much an "AC power provided here" setup. you bring your charger, find an empty plug charge, then you take your charger. Last year we had HEAUGE issues with people abandoning their charger for the day, leaving it plugged in (sometimes with a battery, sometimes not) consuming both table and outlet space and tripping breakers (just because it's not charging the battery doesn't mean the power supply isn't drawing considerable power). fortunately the breaker made for a regular "time to clean up" notice. Whenever it tripped, everyone in the tent who was charging got called over and if you weren't in earshot of the tent, you got unplugged.

This year we hope to NOT repeat the breaker games, and have better posted rules (One more thing I'm going to try to slip this into the "festival etiquette" PSA), but not positive how we're going to manage/police the charging area.

Do I need to bring my lipo charger to Flite Fest or will you have enough of them at the event? Thanks!

USE YOU OWN.

(I'm not mad, just emphasizing -- FT will only be providing power, and unless you know the person REALY WELL, don't use their charger.)

Rob D

What size is a camping spot?Got a 14foot by 9 foot tent hoping its not to big. I'm assuming im able to park at my camping spot as well. I didn't pay attention to
The camping spots when i was there last year stayed in a hotel.

Thanks
Rob

bitogre

There is one "Area" with many plugs, with probably an 8' table. I haven't gotten the latest on the power situation, but in past discussions getting an industrial generator and hiring an electrician for the setup and maintenance has been tossed around, as has improved local cell service, but no idea what will/will not be implemented.

As far as how, it's pretty much an "AC power provided here" setup.

I would recommend doing it as a DC charge station like what they do at SEFF (the AC outlet powers a 12V Car battery charger which charges a bank of car batteries that power the LiPo chargers). This has several advantages, the biggest being that it can support a high peak load and it levels out the load on the AC outlet. Both help to reduce the change of tripping the AC Circuit Breaker which I suspect is going to be heavily loaded with Soldiering Irons and Hot Glue guns for building planes. I'd be very happy to help work out these details.

Also, I do not believe that it will hurt anyone if we go DC. I have seen many DC only LiPo chargers and fewer AC/DC that can work on ether but I do not know of any that are AC only.

you bring your charger, find an empty plug charge, then you take your charger. Last year we had HEAUGE issues with people abandoning their charger for the day, leaving it plugged in (sometimes with a battery, sometimes not) consuming both table and outlet space and tripping breakers (just because it's not charging the battery doesn't mean the power supply isn't drawing considerable power). fortunately the breaker made for a regular "time to clean up" notice. Whenever it tripped, everyone in the tent who was charging got called over and if you weren't in earshot of the tent, you got unplugged.

This year we hope to NOT repeat the breaker games, and have better posted rules (One more thing I'm going to try to slip this into the "festival etiquette" PSA), but not positive how we're going to manage/police the charging area.

I would be happy to help with this (even if we do not go to DC power being provided for the chargers). I have some ideas that might help from ways to monitor just how much current we are actually using so we have a warning before the breaker trips to ways to identify abandoned/forgotten chargers. Let me know if you want more details.

Other FF15 FAQs (that should be included on website)...

Not having experienced previous FF, I just thought these may be questions others may be wondering about.

If they have otherwise been addressed in previous threads, then my apologies.

1. Will gas powered generators be allowed? If yes, during what hours?
2. Will there be areas to service and/or empty RV or portable [camping] toilet tanks?
3. Will there be resources onsite for ice for camping coolers?
4. Will children be required to have an ID bracelet (for safety)?
5. Will there be a lost-and-found area?
6. What are the rules regarding open fires/grills/stoves/etc. at the campsites?
7. Will there be any Wi-Fi hotspots on the property?
8. What will be the severe weather [safety] procedures?

Best regards,

Jet_Jockey

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Answers in order
1. Yes just mind your neighbors bed time
2. No
3. No but there is a gas station just down the street.
4. Children under 5 are required to have parents name on their forehead with a sharpie..... Kidding
5. Yes
6. As long as they are in an above ground fire pit that will not burn the grass
7. Not that I know of. Verizon is the only cell service with decent cell service
8. Yes I have plans for it as I am in charge of safety/first aid

Thanks for the intel CrashRecovery.

I'm sure you could tell that I poached the FAQs from the EAA Airventure website.

I do like the lost children idea.

I'm going to threaten my kids with that if they don't behave.

If it's on the Internet, it must be true right?

Cheers,

Jet_Jockey

Rob D

Answers in order
1. Yes just mind your neighbors bed time
2. No
3. No but there is a gas station just down the street.
4. Children under 5 are required to have parents name on their forehead with a sharpie..... Kidding
5. Yes
6. As long as they are in an above ground fire pit that will not burn the grass
7. Not that I know of. Verizon is the only cell service with decent cell service
8. Yes I have plans for it as I am in charge of safety/first aid

So if i rented a RV for 4 days everyday i will have to drive down the street to get Ice? I would think that getting a ice truck to come sell ice off the back would be a must have for this. I didn't camp last year but i do remember the traffic going in and out. Having ice available for campers would cut the traffic down. With all the extra money for the event last year getting a ice truck would be reasonable Im sure i speak for most campers in response to Ice. Before i rent a RV and have to move the RV down the road for ice and hope they have not sold out of ice. if ice isnt available i will be pitching a tent then so it will be easier to get around Instead of renting a RV. Not sure how the camping spots are if i drove down the road then came back would my spot be filled? A definite answer on ice would be great.

Thanks
Rob
P.s. in a response last week in a email from
Austin Furey about ice "Ice should be available at the event".

bitogre

So if i rented a RV for 4 days everyday i will have to drive down the street to get Ice? I would think that getting a ice truck to come sell ice off the back would be a must have for this. I didn't camp last year but i do remember the traffic going in and out. Having ice available for campers would cut the traffic down. With all the extra money for the event last year getting a ice truck would be reasonable Im sure i speak for most campers in response to Ice. Before i rent a RV and have to move the RV down the road for ice and hope they have not sold out of ice. if ice isnt available i will be pitching a tent then so it will be easier to get around Instead of renting a RV. Not sure how the camping spots are if i drove down the road then came back would my spot be filled? A definite answer on ice would be great.

Thanks
Rob
P.s. in a response last week in a email from
Austin Furey about ice "Ice should be available at the event".

I would not worry too much about it. On one day, some one at the event was making an ice run and picked up ice for me while out. People there are very willing to help others in this way.

However, it might be a good idea to organize volunteer ice run for attendees.