FT Mustang - Build

Strix

She's not so airworthy anymore, LOL.

Expiration date reached.

IMG_20150417_220156281.jpg

I got distracted/concerned about other air traffic at my flying location and made some bad moves. Serves me right for bragging online about how long and how much she's flown. :black_eyed:

Oh well. I've set a deadline of May 9 to get my nnMig3 completed. That's 'Victory Day' in Russia.

Then I will begin work on a replacement Mustang.

I'm thinking I will do like Rider and make a UK Mustang. It will go well with my American Spitfires.

EDIT: just noticed that his is actually RAAF not RAF, duh... but I really like that shark mouth. :D

Last edited:

Strix

a couple of popsicle sticks and some hotglue and she right as rain;)

I agree, it seems repairable. Worth the try :) Cause it's a nice looking plane

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, but the damage is worse than it looks, and the airframe was already getting pretty tired before the impact. I don't think I'll repair, but rather remove the running gear and glue it back together as a 'museum piece'.

Looks like a lot of time and effort is put into making these planes look so nice....then one bad maneuver and its time to build another nice one.

It was a series of bad maneuvers, LOL.

But yeah... time to build another. I don't mind putting in the time and effort to make them look nice. It's a large part of the fun for me. :D

gabrielete

Of course it was too much down elevator!!! I had the elevator inverted...

:eek: errr mmmm shame on me....

That plane flies incredible. I really had a great evening with her.:D

It's time to dust the airbrush off....

Last edited:

mactek

I built another mustang to bring with me to Flitefest. Only 2 weeks left to build another plane to bring. Figured i should have at least 2 dollar tree foam planes to bring. IMG_2459.JPG

Konkilr

Finally in love with this plane! My first mustang build didn't go well. I must have made some mistakes. I know the tailfeathers weren't prefectly straight. After many poor flights and repairs to try to make it right I nearly gave up. I had noticed that the airframe was becoming very sloppy, so I decided to build another with some of nerdnic's mods. My first flight of my now new mustang didn't go so well either, resulting in a crash landing in deep weeds. The airframe wasn't damaged but something still wasn't right. After some thought I realized that the short pod I had made to accomodate a removeable hatch had allowed for considerable downthrust. So I shimmed the motor to compensate and viola! This thing fly's like a dream! I have been flying my UMX P-51 a lot lately and always love it, now my FT mustang fly's just like it!!!! I think I did 6 flights last night into the dark all while utilizing my inboard LED's. Cant thank FT enough for designing such a nice plane!

jake

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Finally in love with this plane! My first mustang build didn't go well. I must have made some mistakes. I know the tailfeathers weren't prefectly straight. After many poor flights and repairs to try to make it right I nearly gave up. I had noticed that the airframe was becoming very sloppy, so I decided to build another with some of nerdnic's mods. My first flight of my now new mustang didn't go so well either, resulting in a crash landing in deep weeds. The airframe wasn't damaged but something still wasn't right. After some thought I realized that the short pod I had made to accomodate a removeable hatch had allowed for considerable downthrust. So I shimmed the motor to compensate and viola! This thing fly's like a dream! I have been flying my UMX P-51 a lot lately and always love it, now my FT mustang fly's just like it!!!! I think I did 6 flights last night into the dark all while utilizing my inboard LED's. Cant thank FT enough for designing such a nice plane!

jake

If you made that hatch and used my short pod idea then im hoping you still installed two skewers in the side wall to hold it in. Orher then that im not sure how you ended up with so much down thrust. Are you still using the old fire wall skewers?

Konkilr

I did use 2 skewers to secure the pod and I am using the firewall skewers as well. I think cutting the pod short and engaging it with the front upper slots is what angled my pod excessively.

jake

jayz 84

I did use 2 skewers to secure the pod and I am using the firewall skewers as well. I think cutting the pod short and engaging it with the front upper slots is what angled my pod excessively.

jake

Ahhh ok now i see. I forgot all about the down thrust tab. Me i just cut that off and use washers behind the mount to get my desired angle and it sits the motor up more in the fuse for that desired spinner height. Now you can shim it like you said. Or you can still use the standard size pod. And install the battery inside the pod when you open the hatch instead of on the wing. FT Change up my hatch design on the soon to be released in store nnmig3 by nerdnic . They have it to where you put the battery inside the pod. So its a option. Me i still like it on the wing keeping the weight rather center. But if shimming it works out for you then stick to that

Konkilr

It certainly has. I want FT to release the nnP-39 as a speed build kit. The nnmig3 looks similar but I really like the nnp-39

jake

jayz 84

It certainly has. I want FT to release the nnP-39 as a speed build kit. The nnmig3 looks similar but I really like the nnp-39

jake

Haha no dout the p-39is awsome. And i think it would definitely make a great addition to the ft store. Sure a awsome fling plane.
But hey if your flying skills are up to it and want to scratch build one we can definitely help you out with the build

jayz 84

I printed the plans and there are many aspects about the plans that I dont understand.

jake

Well if you can fly the mustang with out any issues then you should be good for the p-39. The only thing your losing is undercamber. Now its rated as a advance build cause its more advanced then your normal FT plane to build. But if your up to trying. Then take it to the thread and well help you there