FT Mustang - Build

monterx7

I did use 2 skewers to secure the pod and I am using the firewall skewers as well. I think cutting the pod short and engaging it with the front upper slots is what angled my pod excessively.

jake

at what angle should the motor be? i did the hatch mod, but before cutting the stock power pod, i first installed it(normal way), then added the 2 skewers to hold it in place, then cut the power pod down.

the motor seems to be angled up, is that correct? can anyone post a pic of how their motor is, with a stock power pod?

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
at what angle should the motor be? i did the hatch mod, but before cutting the stock power pod, i first installed it(normal way), then added the 2 skewers to hold it in place, then cut the power pod down.

the motor seems to be angled up, is that correct? can anyone post a pic of how their motor is, with a stock power pod?

Monterx. As long as you had the down thrust tab inplace. Then installed the standard power pod and install the two skewers (in the short cut off pod section) before doing the hatch/power pod mod then you should be just fine. If anything post a pic of yours and i should be able to tell you

33jesus

Hi All!

I just built my first plane last night, and will fly today. I built the FT Mustang (Speed build kit) and I used the following:

Motor: Suppo 2217/7 1250kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: Suppo 30A Brushless ESC
Props: APC 9x6SF Slow-Fly propeller
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo

Any idea on how long 1 battery will last? Not full throttle the whole time, more cruising and getting to know the plane. I'd guess between 10-15 but figured I'd ask here before maiden voyage.

Thanks.

33jesus

Well... the ESC burned up within about 2 minutes, lost power to the motor and crashed in to a tree. Trying to contact Altitude, and so far no response. Any recommendation for a new 30A ESC?

abarton

FT Mustang Maiden

Finally finished my FT Mustang, and took it out this morning. What an outstanding plane, FT you did it again. No trim was needed, and the Mustang flew great, couldn't be happier, another favorite plane for my hanger.

THANKS FLIGHTTEST for another amazing design.

Specs;
Turnigy 2822/14 1450kv, the plane isn't a rocked with this motor, but it has plenty of power, scale type flying
Plush 25Amp ESC
Turnigy 1800mAh 3S
8x6 APC E prop
4 9g servos
Spectrum DX6
Spectrum AR610

Mustang on the bench, a few more decals, and she'll be 100% complete.
IMG_0909.JPG

monterx7

i am looking for ideas, or alternatives, on beefing up my landing gear that comes with the speed build kit. i fly at a SOD farm and the landing gear just doesnt cut it, for taking off. i have a bigger motor/esc so im really skeptical about hand launching it, so im turning to everyone here for ideas.

if you have had to upgrade/beef up the landing gear, what did you use or how did you do it.

thanks

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
My FT P-51 had a bit bigger motor and while it was tricky to hand-launch, it could be done. Almost easier to self-hand-launch it, so long as the throttle wasn't set too high. For quite a few of it's earlier flights, hand launching was the only way to get her off the ground.

So how specifically is it not cutting it for takeoff? there's a fair chance it just needs a bit of trimming . . . or a subtle change.

To get mine functioning I had to step up the music wire gauge (not quite sure what I ended up with, but it was a little beefier than the stock wire), get the angle right (not far forward enough and she'd nose over) and added a tail wheel. The latter tremendously improved the ground handling and tracking. After I got her settled it wasn't hard at all to get her up, touch-n-go, and land on the club's grass strip.

monterx7

i think its a little bit of everything. there are times the wheels will "dig in" to the Sod, and just nose over. the 2 times I have been able to takeoff, I have to tweak the gear because of the Sod will end up bending them in one way or another. after the last landing, I cant seem to get the wheels aligned correctly to taxi in a straight line.

what tail wheel setup did you use, Dan?

FatsGW

hey guys, I've been looking through the forum for a mini ft mustang and can't seem to find anyone writing anything about it.
I've heard through the podcast that the mustang doesn't scale downwards very well.

have anyone attempted it with any success or reviews on the points of failure?
I just completed a mini spitfire at 60% and hoping to get a mini mustang as well. so when the ft corsair comes out, i'll have a fleet of mini warbirds! ;)

FatsGW

hey guys, I've been looking through the forum for a mini ft mustang and can't seem to find anyone writing anything about it.
I've heard through the podcast that the mustang doesn't scale downwards very well.

have anyone attempted it with any success or reviews on the points of failure?
I just completed a mini spitfire at 60% and hoping to get a mini mustang as well. so when the ft corsair comes out, i'll have a fleet of mini warbirds! ;)

So an answer to my own question. if you watched the recent periscope... a mini mustang is coming!

sonntag3

FT Mustang 65%

Hello,

I built an FT Mustang at 65% earlier this year and I absolutly LOVE IT! I have to say it is the best flier I have. It handles like it is on rails and vertical is awesome on it. I just finished a full size version of the plane last week and have not been able to do a madien yet but I am very curious to see the difference between the two sizes.
20151205_212322.jpg
my first build.jpg

Last edited:
just finishing building my mustang and ive found that the control rods for the tail really have a hard time pushing. i fixed it using the zip-tie technique ive seen flitetest use before and now i have way better control surface control. just thought id mention that! happy flying!

Corbarrad

just finishing building my mustang and ive found that the control rods for the tail really have a hard time pushing. i fixed it using the zip-tie technique ive seen flitetest use before and now i have way better control surface control. just thought id mention that! happy flying!

Less flex in the control rods is always a good thing but if your control rods have a hard time moving the control surfaces you might have too much glue stiffening up your hinges. That will put unnecessary strain on your servos and shorten their lives.

I remember that the hinges on my first ft mustang build came out very stiff as well, something that changed with practice.
The glue doesn't need to cover the inside of the hinge, the goal is rather to work it into the foam, strenghtening the bond between the foam and the paper that forms the hinge.

PilotMM

I just finished my Mini Mustang last night. It will be painted today. I wanted to bring up a few points for someone that has never built one of these like myself:

1.) The control horns can be fragile. I busted the hole that the z-bend goes into because I was trying to reset the control rod. Initially I set the servo too far forward (more on that later) and had already gently placed the rod into the horn. Once I realized I wanted to move it there was no easy way to take it out because I had the servo glued in. I cut the z-bend off and was going to make another and broke the little hole. Luckily I had a extra in my parts kits from my Bixler build. I cut the mounting plate off and glued it directly to the wooden supplied horn. It worked perfectly.

2.) If you are not going to use the offered parts kits or go with larger components be ready to think outside of the plans. I think thats probably one of the best parts of this build; you can make it your own. I went with a larger motor and ESC, I didn't realize how much larger until I started to dry fit parts and realized my CG was going to be forward of my wing! I moved the empennage servos much farther aft and it helped balance it out. I still have yet to put in an Rx but will get to it soon. With the larger ESC I had to place it under the Power Pod, it will not fit nicely inside it like the little 12a one does. Because of this I didn't route the motor leads back through the power pod.

3.) The build videos move faster than you. When he says "let this piece dry for XX minutes" I didn't realize there was a jump. This caused me to initially rush some parts of the build. Don't do that, just hit pause. Taking my time this build took about 2.5 hours not including paint

Overall this was a lot of fun. It scratched my "build" itch and makes me interested in doing more. Just be flexible and look "outside the plans" if you plan on making modifications.

-MM
a8737909-148-image.jpg

Tight fit without the Rx. I am trying to decide if I want to use a stabilized RX or a feather weight. I found that with the ESC all the way under the power pod I could easily slide the battery in the front opening almost on top of the CG

a8737910-11-image.jpg

Low speed 7x3 prop and high speed 5x5 prop. I plan on picking up a 6x4 prop too. It will be painted today like Strega!