Solved Binding/Electronic Problems

Macamilish

I can't get my receiver (orangerx r610 v2) and transmitter (spektrum dxe that came with a mini apprentice) to bind. I put the receiver into bind mode and its led flashes but when I press the bind button on my spektrum, the led stops flashing or emitting light at all, but the motor continues to beep. Is this a problem with the construction since it's a cheap transmitter? I'm fairly certain everything is connected correctly, and I can't find a solution to the problem on the internet or other forums. This is my first time building my own plane and connecting electronics I'vs bought

Bricks

Master member
Are you turning off the transmitter then hold the bind button while turning on the transmitter.

Macamilish

Yes, with the receiver in binding mode, flashing led, I hold down the bind button on the transmitter and turning it on, but the transmitter makes a beep that sounds like an indication of a negative and the led on the receiver turns off entirely but the motor continues to beep and twitch

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I've often had failed binds when I tried binding with the tx too close to the model during the bind process. I usually succeed when holding the transmitter an arms distance from the model during the binding process.

Macamilish

I haven't been able to get the tx and rx to bind when held at an arm's length, do you think it may be a faulty receiver?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Mac,

Try binding it from about 6 ft. away. I have several of those OrangeRX receivers (610v2, 615, and 618XL), and have had issues with them binding at close range. I step away about 4-6 ft, hold down the bind and turn on the transmitter, and it syncs up cleanly on my DX6.

Which is another question to ask - are you using a DX6e, DX6i, DX8e? I know with the DX6 and DX8, there is voice capability that tells you if the bind failed or succeeded.

The 610v2 took the longest for me to pair, with multiple attempts; it's an older, DSM2 technology receiver, vs. the 618XL, which uses DSMX and seems to sync much quicker and more cleanly. OrangeRX seems to be picky and just wants that bit of distance initially, but once it's set, it's good with the transmitter less than a foot away from the receiver - go figure.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Good advice from @sprzout - I have had similar issues with some orange receivers and had to try a couple of times to get them to bind.

To clarify a couple of points.

The motor beeps at a regular interval (about once per second) indicates that the receiver is not receiving (you already knew that but this behavior by the motor is normal while you are trying to bind).

Sounds like a dumb question but are you holding and keeping the bind button down through the entire process? You have to keep it pressed until the bind is complete (solid LED on the receiver).

DamoRC

Bricks

Master member
I have had my best luck binding receivers is turn my back to the model in other words put me between the receiver and transmitter.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Although I find this hard to believe (and it is worth getting other folks input on this) a little research on the web seems to indicate that the Dxe is DSMX compatable only - it can't bind DSM2. I can't find any Spektrum documentation confirming this though.

Anyone, Anyone - Bueller?

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The receiver says dsm2/dsmx on the back, do I maybe have to switch the receiver from dsm2 to dsmx?

In your original post you indicated that the receiver was a "orangerx r610 v2" which they spec as only DSM2 compatible. That being said, on the HobbyKing website there is a pic of the back of the Rx and, indeed, it does say DSM2/DSMX. This is, as far as I can tell, incorrect. If you bought this from HK I would reach out to them and see if they will replace it with at 615X (which is DSMX compatible). If you are going to eat the cost and still want to get a cheap(er) DSMX receiver look at the selection from Lemon Rx. I have had far fewer problems with this brand as compared to the Orange.

DamoRC

Need for speed

I use these OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX receiver. From the research I've done the Dxe is running DSMX and that receiver is running DSM2 like others have said, so the only way I see out of this is to either get a new receiver or a new transmitter, just keep in mind that all of spektrums computer radios are DSM2 and DSMX compatible so if you ever decide to get an upgrade then you could use the receiver you already have.

Chappie66

I use these OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX receiver. From the research I've done the Dxe is running DSMX and that receiver is running DSM2 like others have said, so the only way I see out of this is to either get a new receiver or a new transmitter, just keep in mind that all of spektrums computer radios are DSM2 and DSMX compatible so if you ever decide to get an upgrade then you could use the receiver you already have.
Agree with Need For Speed, HK description of your RX orangerx r610 v2 states DSM2, whereas your DXE TX is only DSMX.