RadioMaster Pocket + TinyWhoop Binding

PeterG

New guy here, just bought my first FPV drone set up (Radiomaster Pocket, FT Tiny Whoop, and EMax Transporter) and am looking forward to getting it flying!

But I'm having problems...

I (think) I followed the proceedure in the Binding The Pocket Radio To The FT Tiny Whoop video, but I can't get the drone to respond.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's bound or not.
-When I plug in the drone battery it makes a little "dodldo charge!" tune, a blue light flashes briefly, then it has 1 solid red LED on top, 2 solid red LEDs on the bottom
-when I press the arm toggle nothing happens on the drone
-it never talked to me about telemetry (like in the video) and when I press the 'tele' button it says no data
-The Inter RF Status says V1.3.3.7 AETR (when I press bind on the radio it beeps and says "bind" - maybe that means something?

When I try to go through the bind proceedure the drone doesn't respond - lights just stay steady.

Did I mess it up somehow?
Is there a way to start the binding process over?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Peter G

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I'm not sure how to tell if it's bound or not...
...Is there a way to start the binding process over?...
If it is bound it will respond.
I'm guessing it is not bound. First take the props off we don't want it to turn into a blender.

Now let's test the bind. As always turn the Tx on first, then the quad. Then with the quad on, try turning the Tx off & wait 20 seconds or so. If nothing happens it's likely not bound, if it starts beeping or the lights change or the motors twitch, then it was bound & has recognized it lost the signal.

Yes, you can always rebind if necessary, just repeat the procedure from the beginning.
Typically when a Rx is in bind mode the lights will blink fast, 4-5 times per second. When the Rx binds, the lights go on solid. A Rx that is bound but is not receiving a signal, the lights will blink slowly, 1-2 times per second. BUT this blinking pattern is not universal, some blink when bound.

The most important thing is the change, the Rx responded in some way.

Last edited:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
New guy here, just bought my first FPV drone set up (Radiomaster Pocket, FT Tiny Whoop, and EMax Transporter) and am looking forward to getting it flying!

But I'm having problems...

I (think) I followed the proceedure in the Binding The Pocket Radio To The FT Tiny Whoop video, but I can't get the drone to respond.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's bound or not.
-When I plug in the drone battery it makes a little "dodldo charge!" tune, a blue light flashes briefly, then it has 1 solid red LED on top, 2 solid red LEDs on the bottom
-when I press the arm toggle nothing happens on the drone
-it never talked to me about telemetry (like in the video) and when I press the 'tele' button it says no data
-The Inter RF Status says V1.3.3.7 AETR (when I press bind on the radio it beeps and says "bind" - maybe that means something?

When I try to go through the bind proceedure the drone doesn't respond - lights just stay steady.

Did I mess it up somehow?
Is there a way to start the binding process over?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Peter G
The Tiny Whoop is FRSky protocol, right? Did you set the protocol on the Pocket to be FRsky and 8 channel? Dont flash the BetaFlight on the Whoop. It has a Jesse Perkins BetaFlight tune which is superb.

PeterG

The Tiny Whoop is FRSky protocol, right? Did you set the protocol on the Pocket to be FRsky and 8 channel? Dont flash the BetaFlight on the Whoop. It has a Jesse Perkins BetaFlight tune which is superb.
Thanks Dave!

After double checking settings and connections I ended up ordering another whoop and switching the flight control board - that fixed it. Seems like the board was bad.

What's the best way to get ahold of FT customer support? I've tried email and the phone number; so far no response.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Thanks Dave!

After double checking settings and connections I ended up ordering another whoop and switching the flight control board - that fixed it. Seems like the board was bad.

What's the best way to get ahold of FT customer support? I've tried email and the phone number; so far no response.
FT customer support via email. We are no longer providing customer support via phone. To find customer support via email, please go to the Flite Test Store home page, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us.