NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That is one SERIOUSLY nice build! Honestly, it doesn't even look like foamboard anymore. The shot from the front end is so squared, I think you could use it as a square!

I just realized that I wasn't "watching" this thread. I've since clicked the button. I understand the before-maiden nerves. I actually shake worse than usual. You know it all gets better once it's airborne. Those few moments of interior terror, the finding of the intestinal fortitude and all the while the glutes are clenching up.

Then the bird is free in the air, and everything is golden. Unless it's like my Spitfire maiden, where I was scared shatless for the first minute or so! :LOL:

I understand the nerves. I do no doubt that bird will maiden successfully. You've put the effort into the build. Just a little bit more of your outstanding attention to detail, and all that's left is to enjoy the flight! :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
...Nerves are getting up the scale lol
Haha welcome to warbirds!! After a nice coat of paint these things, they can get you quite nervous on maidens.
Have you seen the V2 of the P-39? I didn't have time to re-maiden it with paint before I left for FF so maidening it in front of a ton of people, right before it was going to be auctioned away, was extremely nerve racking:D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm not really scared to crash it in the maiden, I have experienced the maiden crash so many times, but most of it was my fault. Now I know better then to check and double check everything before it gets the toss. It's the wing that's an unknown for me. I don't have any idea what it's going to do in flight, which is what gets the nerves up some, more excitement, like a kid on Xmas morning. I might do the maiden on a couple 3s batts and talk to my buddy and see what he has for a 4s and some props. Depending how the maiden goes I might step it up and use up a good portion of the greenspace I fly in to get some high speed stuff to keep that Xmas feeling going. In which lies a problem, I might not want to back to 3s anymore lol. Bless this hobby, god help me :devilish:

PoorManRC

Master member
View attachment 143092
PAINT
View attachment 143093
IS
View attachment 143094
DONE
View attachment 143095
Just to put on the decals and clear coat. Getting closer to flying this thing... getting excited

Bro! That turned out SO NICE!!! 😎👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋🍻🍺
I understand that fear of Maidening, especially after all that beautiful work.
.... Says the guy who overbuilt his Tubby Cubby, and got SO nervous on Maiden Morning, that I overlooked a DAMAGED Rudder - and TRASHED her! 😖😭😭

YES, I get it - they nearly ALL crash - at some point! 😲
I'm STILL trying to make as good looking an Airplane as possible, AND as durable as possible....
Uphill Battle, but it may someday benefit a lot of People in this Hobby that I love.

You got this!
Little advice, treat the Maiden like a Novice (NOT a N00b). Don't try to break the Sound Barrier on the first day!

You've essentially Re-Engineered this Bird! IF there's any issues, better to find out whilst putting along, than punching a hole in the Sky. 😉

And UNLIKE me and the Cub....
CHECK YOUR CRAP FIRST! 😁

PoorManRC

Master member
HUMBLE Beginnings of mine...
It came PRE WRINKLED!!! 😞😖
20190920_234508-1.jpg

I stripped Paper off of some scraps, and made my OWN Foldovers! It MAY add a little more strength in the process, and the added weight will all be in the Nose. 😉
20190921_014735-1.jpg

UPS rounded the Box it came in!! 😠😠😞
There also wasn't enough extra Paper on the edges to do foldovers.... 😖
SO... I had to get creative.

20190921_002458-1.jpg

Always check your 90!! 😉
20190921_002418-1.jpg

I made Foam Gussets for the Interior. Strength really means a lot to me.
DOESN'T add a lot of weight, and my Arthritic Gorilla Hands have a nasty habit of squeezing too hard!! I NEED the extra support.
20190921_004714-1.jpg

I also buried BBQ Skewers on both sides of the Nose, on the Interior - ESPECIALLY since the Nose is ALREADY compromised with wrinkles!! 😠😖
Instead of putting them right under the Top Panel, I put them 3/16" lower....
Reasoning in next Post 📫

PoorManRC

Master member
I used the Skewers, sticking out just slightly in the center, to be part of My version of the Top Removable battery Hatch...

20190921_004733-1.jpg

Stripping more Paper, I first applied it to the inside of the Hatch area.
20190921_004850-1.jpg

Then, step by step, I glued the Paper around the exposed Foam to the other side.
20190921_005119-1.jpg

This left a nice "ledge".
20190921_005524-1.jpg

To keep the hole Square, and extra insurance to keep the Hatch from bowing in! 👍👍

Attachments

• 20190921_011033-1.jpg
    20190921_011033-1.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
The Hatch itself (at least the lower half)....
20190921_011020-1.jpg

Sanded the Top (so that the Glue will have more "bite" when Glued to the Turtle Deck Panel.
20190921_011508-1.jpg

Glued a "Tongue" to the Front Under Side.
20190921_011033-1.jpg

Then Glued two Popsicle Sticks to the inside of the upper Panel in front, and two BBQ Skewers in the back.
(NOTE: I cut the upper Panel THROUGH the Double Turtle Deck Supports. One Half will go under the permanent pieces, and the Halves in the middle will go on the removable Section) 😉

20190921_011519-1.jpg

If it works in the end, the front will key in like this...
20190921_011550-1.jpg

Eventually the Rear will be secured by Rare Earth Magnets.
... That's all I got tonight. I wasn't expecting the other issues, out of the box.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Hatch itself (at least the lower half)....
View attachment 143143
Sanded the Top (so that the Glue will have more "bite" when Glued to the Turtle Deck Panel.
View attachment 143141
Glued a "Tongue" to the Front Under Side.
View attachment 143142
Then Glued two Popsicle Sticks to the inside of the upper Panel in front, and two BBQ Skewers in the back.
(NOTE: I cut the upper Panel THROUGH the Double Turtle Deck Supports. One Half will go under the permanent pieces, and the Halves in the middle will go on the removable Section) 😉

View attachment 143140
If it works in the end, the front will key in like this...
View attachment 143144
Eventually the Rear will be secured by Rare Earth Magnets.
... That's all I got tonight. I wasn't expecting the other issues, out of the box.
Amazing progress so far. I like how your hatch keys in. Better then mine. Thanks again for joining up on the group build, it's not a solo effort anymore lol

PoorManRC

Master member
Amazing progress so far. I like how your hatch keys in. Better then mine. Thanks again for joining up on the group build, it's not a solo effort anymore lol

I've been absorbing ideas!! There's so many out there. 👍👍
I'm attempting to make the Hatch something like the FT MiG-3 Hatch. Except with Magnets instead of Skewers.
All my BBQ Skewers are going to be making the Fuse more crush proof. Mainly from my Gorilla Grip!! lol

There's a few Group Builds going on right now...
I'm sure there's others who will join us when they're done.

Especially after seeing the cool new Body and Wing mods going on here!! 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea a lot of people have already mentioned they would but have so many projects on the go right now. I am thinking the best time to open a group build to gain ideas from others is to do it earlier in the season before anyone gets to involved in a handful of planes at once, maybe I am wrong. Winter could be a good time as well when there is snow flying instead of planes, not that you have to much snow to hold you back in Arizona, Canada has 6 months of winter for the most part. Did I mention before that I will be doing another Scout winter style? Floats for snow...

Sero

Elite member
Do you purchase it at the LHS or is it a Walmart kinda find?
Good luck on the maiden as well, be sure to get some vids. did you paint it or you gonna wait for after the maiden?
Mod podge is a craft thing so any craft store. I have seen it at my local Walmart

I was really tempted to paint it but I opted to leave it. I colored the canopy wit a black felt marker to help with orientation. But, paint is next!

Sero

Elite member
I use a coat or two of minwax, I typically use the aerosol cans simply because it goes on lighter. You do have to be careful because if you have any areas with white paint (or no paint at all) it might yellow it slightly.
Yes it will yellow it initially and get more yellow with time.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
BTW @BATTLEAXE your plane is looking awesome, its a piece of art. Great job!
Don't say that I won't want to fly it lol, jk.

Thanks. when I get it set up with all the electronics I will post some final pics before the maiden. Now that I have to fix the power pod for the BB I have the motor off and ready to go on the P-40. I printed out a killer toothy grin for it and applied them on, looks sharp:
Tiger Shark 3.jpg
My drone buddy doesn't have a 4s for me to borrow, but he does have 2 matching 2s 2200mah I could run in a series to play with... should I?!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Don't say that I won't want to fly it lol, jk.

Thanks. when I get it set up with all the electronics I will post some final pics before the maiden. Now that I have to fix the power pod for the BB I have the motor off and ready to go on the P-40. I printed out a killer toothy grin for it and applied them on, looks sharp:
View attachment 143242
My drone buddy doesn't have a 4s for me to borrow, but he does have 2 matching 2s 2200mah I could run in a series to play with... should I?!
That would be a lot of weight, but more weight means you need more airspeed to keep it airborne, and the fact that you’d be running 4s, you’d have a ton more power, so I’d totally go for it! Personally I’d take a 3s to maiden it on and then once that pack is gone through and you have a feel for the plane and have it trimmed out, throw the 4s power in her and enjoy all the hard work you put into this beautiful bird!

PoorManRC

Master member
Yea a lot of people have already mentioned they would but have so many projects on the go right now. I am thinking the best time to open a group build to gain ideas from others is to do it earlier in the season before anyone gets to involved in a handful of planes at once, maybe I am wrong. Winter could be a good time as well when there is snow flying instead of planes, not that you have to much snow to hold you back in Arizona, Canada has 6 months of winter for the most part. Did I mention before that I will be doing another Scout winter style? Floats for snow...

Our Winter IS your Summer lol. But we've got a 2.3Km Mountain nearby, in case the itch for Snow comes up!! 😁
Down here, we've gotten maybe 3" of Snow in the past 10 years. 😲😞
The Snow Scout should be fun! 👍👍