What Did You Fly Today

shadeyB

Legendary member
My Su-35 V5 is so cramped inside that its 50a ESC got hot enough to melt off the shrink wrap it came in, just spinning a 6x4x4 with a 2200kv on 3S. Banggood sell little heatsinks which are perfectly sized for this ESC so I got some, stuck one on to the ESC, then cut a hole in the access hatch so it could get lots of airflow and now it doesn't get hot even on 4S.

Not sure what I can do about the motor getting hot though. For now I'm just relegating 4S flights for autumn and winter only.
wow cant believe the 50 melted buddy what one was it, been running 4s 6x4 on 2700 prop drive in those babys for years with no issue

mastermalpass

Elite member
got to maiden the imaginary all terrain Jet, flew well and from the grass it was good, snow should be even less friction on the belly. next step is find a huge big puddle and test launch and landing on water :)

That's a nice looking plane, love the all terrain aspect of it as well!

mastermalpass

Elite member
wow cant believe the 50 melted buddy what one was it, been running 4s 6x4 on 2700 prop drive in those babys for years with no issue

It's a 7 year old H-King:
14873 (1).jpg

Still works fine, it just cooked off the clear plastic wrap. There's some pretty big capacitors on the other side, so losing the wrap probably helped! 😂

Brian B

Elite member
It's a 7 year old H-King:
View attachment 229598

Still works fine, it just cooked off the clear plastic wrap. There's some pretty big capacitors on the other side, so losing the wrap probably helped! 😂
I looked on Banggood and didn't see any heat sinks that looked right. No spinning fan, right? You strip off cover to bond heat sink? I'm making a seaplane, somewhat sealed, so anticipating issues.

luvmy40

Elite member
I flew and crashed both my TT and Slow Flyer.

I am getting a bit frustrated with myself. Last weekend I got several good flights out of the slow flyer, three batteries worth, and a short but controlled flight with the TT until a wing folded. This morning was a disaster. I could not control either plane at all and barely got 30 seconds of flight on each of 5 or 6 tries with the Slow flyer (The new wing still pulls left), before a powered nose dive broke the wing and power pod. The TT was a total loss after 10 seconds of completely uncontrolled aerobatics(I wasn't trying to make it dance).

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

I am getting a bit frustrated with myself. Last weekend I got several good flights out of the slow flyer, three batteries worth, and a short but controlled flight with the TT until a wing folded. This morning was a disaster. I could not control either plane at all and barely got 30 seconds of flight on each of 5 or 6 tries with the Slow flyer (The new wing still pulls left), before a powered nose dive broke the wing and power pod. The TT was a total loss after 10 seconds of completely uncontrolled aerobatics(I wasn't trying to make it dance).
So sorry, but don't let it get you down. Just more opportunities to build! I flew my Spitfire yesterday and Explorer today just to prove to the Staggerwing that it could be done.

CrshNBrn

Elite member

That sucks. Sorry. At least now you can rebuild and try to make the new versions even better. Lighter weight, snazzier color schemes, less crinkled foam, etc. Will you stick with the same models or try something new?

luvmy40

Elite member
That sucks. Sorry. At least now you can rebuild and try to make the new versions even better. Lighter weight, snazzier color schemes, less crinkled foam, etc. Will you stick with the same models or try something new?
I've had great flights with both of them. I've already fixed the Slow Flyer and printed a new power pod for the TT(it was the TT pod that broke, not the slow flyer). I'll definitely get them both back in the air.

RossFPV

Have you thought about giving the slow flyer a little right thrust angle? I know the cub has a similar problem and it recommend to give it slight right and down thrust.

luvmy40

Elite member
I'll get it trimmed at some point. It may mean adding a couple washers to the motor mount to increase the down and right thrust that are already integral to the power pod.

This rant was more about me not performing as well as I had thought I could from last week's experience. I know I need many, many more hours of doing it right to get that muscle memory. It's still frustrating.

I also discovered I may have been experiencing some mechanical/electronical;) malfunctions yesterday. Weird stuff with my sub trim not holding it's settings and the receiver on the TT was not connecting when I finished my repairs last night. It would explain a lot if it lost coms when I was launching. The weather and time restraints mean I won't get a second flying day in this weekend. :mad:

RossFPV

I'll get it trimmed at some point. It may mean adding a couple washers to the motor mount to increase the down and right thrust that are already integral to the power pod.

This rant was more about me not performing as well as I had thought I could from last week's experience. I know I need many, many more hours of doing it right to get that muscle memory. It's still frustrating.

I also discovered I may have been experiencing some mechanical/electronical;) malfunctions yesterday. Weird stuff with my sub trim not holding it's settings and the receiver on the TT was not connecting when I finished my repairs last night. It would explain a lot if it lost coms when I was launching. The weather and time restraints mean I won't get a second flying day in this weekend. :mad:
Nothing is more annoying than knowing the crash isn’t your fault. hope you get it flying good soon.