1:128 US Navy Destroyer- DD-752 USS Alfred A. Cunningham

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
This build is not particularly Flitetest related in any way, it was a side project I mentioned I was starting and some of the guys said I should do a build thread. Just in case anyone was wondering why I've started yet another shipbuilding thread without even trying to relate it to foam board RC airplanes in any way. Hooyah.

I'm kinda in the mood for a ship again and thought I should have another go. My incomplete USS Dallas hull got scrapped while I was leaving for basic so I'm starting over from scratch, which doesn't bother me too much because the submarine was getting a little ridiculous with all the fiberglass in tight spaces. Fortunately there's a much better variety of building techniques for surface ships and fiberglass is optional.

My grandfather served as a midshipman in the late '50s on board USS Alfred A. Cunningham, an Allen M. Sumner Class Destroyer. Being a smaller ship I can up the scale a bit and do all the fun little details and the hull is a simpler shape that'll be easier to mill.

USS Cunningham sometime in the late '40s or early '50s (note the mast, I'll talk about this later):
0575205.jpg

I'll be using the "bread and butter" method of hull construction using pine lumber. This is arguably the easiest method of constructing a hull, although it's not as common as it used to be. It tends to result in a heavier ship and therefore is not ideal for sailboats or racers, but for a big navy boat it'll be perfect. The lumber I have on hand is kinda whack but a few passes through my planer made some really nice pieces. I plan on building the superstructure out of balsa, lets just hope I have enough. I can use pine where necessary and dowels for the masts and stacks. 1:128 scale puts her at a solid 35 1/4" length overall.

https://www.building-model-boats.com/bread-and-butter-model-boat.html

https://www.building-model-boats.com/bread-and-butter-hull.html

Since I chose this ship for my family history it's only fitting that I build it as it was when my grandpa was on board in the late '50s. She underwent two refits around this time, the first in either 1956 when she was fitted with improved radars and a new mast. The second was a FRAM upgrade in 1961 when she was fitted with an almost entirely new superstructure with a hangar and helipad. Unfortunately he does not remember the exact dates he served- only that it was in the late '50s. However he does remember that at no point during his service did a helicopter land on the ship. It's a given that he served after the earlier refit, and the lack of a helipad on board tells me that his service was up before the 1961 FRAM upgrade. It is possible that he was on board during the 1956 refit, if so that would have been very early in his tour.

At the time my grandfather was on board she should have looked something like this:

uss-cunningham-ebay-86235.jpg

Master.jpg

The aft torpedo tubes had been removed late WWII to make room for two more 40mm anti-aircraft mounts. These would later be replaced with a helipad and hangar during the FRAM refit. Note the extended quarterdeck (the deck around the wheelhouse) and tripod mast with improved radar, as well as ECM antennas mounted to the exhaust stacks. While not visible on either of these photos there is only one single depth charge track at the stern.

Unfortunately this is proving to be a rather obscure configuration to get photos of, probably because she was only fitted this way for 5 years of her 27 year career.

Last edited:

Stress Test

I like building, well, anything, I just like building. So yeah, its not foam or balsa. Who cares?

And I am a curious fellow who knows roughly how you do this, but I never have, so ....

Build on my good man!

<and document with pics>

:)

CampRobber

This build is not particularly Flitetest related in any way, it was a side project I mentioned I was starting and some of the guys said I should do a build thread. Just in case anyone was wondering why I've started yet another shipbuilding thread without even trying to relate it to foam board RC airplanes in any way. Hooyah.

They should make a boat forum. It could be called.... Flote Test.

mastermalpass

Elite member
This is looking like it's gonna be good. I've considered building an RC ship. When I was a kid I was obsessed with 17th century war ships and built a few out of cardboard that sat on the living room floor.

Not sure if I would want my first one to be a Bireme with working oars and something to control the sail. Or an 18th century 5th rate ship of the line (Frigate/cruiser - the term cruiser described a role more than a specific class of ship back then, so they kinda blend with frigates)

Is your ship gonna come with bells and whistles? :)

Tench745

Master member
This is looking like it's gonna be good. I've considered building an RC ship. When I was a kid I was obsessed with 17th century war ships and built a few out of cardboard that sat on the living room floor.

Not sure if I would want my first one to be a Bireme with working oars and something to control the sail. Or an 18th century 5th rate ship of the line (Frigate/cruiser - the term cruiser described a role more than a specific class of ship back then, so they kinda blend with frigates)

I carved a bread-and-butter model of the USS Monitor when I was younger. Never did finish it, at the time you (legally) needed different frequencies for air and surface vehicles so I couldn't justify the cost. Then again the internet wasn't quite as helpful back then for finding answers about how to make things RC...

Legendary member

I'm planning on having rotating turrets, at this scale I can mount each one on top of a 9g.

I carved a bread-and-butter model of the USS Monitor when I was younger. Never did finish it, at the time you (legally) needed different frequencies for air and surface vehicles so I couldn't justify the cost. Then again the internet wasn't quite as helpful back then for finding answers about how to make things RC...
For the older frequencies the laws are still the same, but 2.4ghz is legal for both because of the variety of frequencies.

Last edited:

Legendary member
Not much physical progress yet as I haven't had a chance to get out to my shop, so I'm just getting references and planning in place before my next steps. For the hull I managed to find a line drawing of a Fletcher class destroyer with buttocks lines that I can use to mark out the outer hull sections. The Fletcher class hull is only slightly different than the Sumner class, the difference is <15."

Hull Lines Diagram.png

I also collected reference photos for the Mk.33 3-inch guns and Mk.37 Fire Control Director. I've formulated a basic plan for how I'm going to do these parts, probably gonna mill most of it out of small blocks and use toothpicks and dowels for the details. I don't plan on being super detailed, at this scale it's not really necessary or practical. A few of the right details can really sell a model without going overboard.
I'll also do the 5-inch gun turrets and anything else I need to this way.

3in50_Mk_33_mount_on_USS_Wasp_(CVA-18)_c1954.jpg

Mk 37 director 1 1024 C.jpg

Legendary member
Just got back from Cabo and I got a chance to talk to my grandpa about his time on the ship, which changes some things. While he was on board the ship was still fitted with her WWII mast and radars, which is easier to build but maybe not quite as fun. He also mentioned that he does no remember having 3" guns on board, and was adamant that he only ever saw 40mms. He was only on board very early in his tour, after a year or two he transferred to two other ships- a troop carrier and an amphibious assault ship.

Web info on this ship is a little sketchy at best and there are a lot of holes in the timeline, this means that she underwent multiple refits much later than I previously though. I'll have to look into it further but this may mean that she only ever received 3" guns in 1956 at the earliest.

I'm working on another boat at the same time as this one using a different method for the hull. Depending on how that one goes I may end up doing this hull in that style to save a bit of time.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just out of curiosity I looked up the Fletcher. Came across a few things you may have already seen but Ill post links just in case as there is information to be had either written in photos or video.

https://www.history.navy.mil/conten.../ships-usn-f/uss-fletcher-dd-445-dde-445.html

here is a scale model.. Not sure about the builders skills but the box shows really good detail and you may be able to refrence the correct gun emplacements from that.

Legendary member
Just out of curiosity I looked up the Fletcher. Came across a few things you may have already seen but Ill post links just in case as there is information to be had either written in photos or video.

https://www.history.navy.mil/conten.../ships-usn-f/uss-fletcher-dd-445-dde-445.html

here is a scale model.. Not sure about the builders skills but the box shows really good detail and you may be able to refrence the correct gun emplacements from that.

Would definitely be a fun build once I can afford it, I've wanted that kit for a while now. Not sure about using it for reference as it's a completely different class of ship, Cunningham is a Sumner Class. Could be useful for actually making the guns though.